Author Topic: 65 Post GS  (Read 2921 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
65 Post GS
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:21:12 AM »
Finally got my post car to my buddy's to get the sheet metal work underway!
Got a couple small patches to put in the driver's floor pan and a patch to put
In the passenger side quarter! Hoping to get the carb and manifold changed out,plus take off the aluminum valley cover and put the stock steel one back on!A recurved distributor with pertronix is going in! Going to try and get it to run better! It sure likes Sunoco 110 though! Put in some fresh stuff today! His post car is right next to mine! Good company! Going to have to go right to the mat! My post can't stay long!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for including us in your restoration journey! (Re: 65 Post GS)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
Dear John and mid-60s Buick restorers,

Finally got my post car to my buddy's to get the sheet metal work underway!
. . . . .

Thanks for starting a thread about this car's restoration so we can follow along!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Post GS
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
Welded up some holes in the body and ground down with carbide cutters! Didn't get pictures! I did take a shot of the floor on drivers side! There were holes and metal was weak rather than trying to weld and grind ,weld and grind, putting in a original floor patch! This was challenging to do as you can't cut deep or you cut the frame, brake and fuel lines! Talk about close quarters! I did it! But was nervous! After this  the quarter panel patch which is going to be a bigger challenge! I want it to look nice and fit good so I can put the wheel well trim on!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:46:29 PM by gssizzler »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »
Oh boy,oh boy, oh boy... Do you already have the patch? New or an old cut out. If you want a nice fit, try this:

Using some generic numbers we'll call the HOLE 12" x 12". Mark the floor 1" larger all the way around. Now the MARK is 14 x 14. Take your patch and square it up just within those marks, cutting as needed to fit. Tack it to the floor so it wont move. Mark the new panel 1/2" smaller all the way around. So now its tacked and immobile and marked for an accurate cut. Plunge cut the skinny cut off wheel and follow between the marks on the new and old panel cutting through both the patch and the existing floor at the same time.

Grind off the locating tack welds and debur.The new panel being cut with a 1/32" thick wheel and around the circumference will be 1/16" smaller and just about drop into position. Yeah... be careful on the piping and PB cable! Whats the rush right? Take a 1/4" ish piece of aluminum for a bucker upper and tack the patch in. Try to keep it centered for the gap. You can use a 2x4 to push up off the shop floor and push down from the top so its flush for a tack. The aluminum wont weld to the steel and will help keep the patch cooler too. It will also help protect the gas and brake lines and cable from spatter burns while welding. Make sure BOTH SIDES of BOTH pieces are ground shiny clean with some 36 grit discs. Any crud at all will find its way into the weld. Its called capillary action and will get sucked right in. Finish as desired.

Just weld in little dabs and move around so it doesnt warp. It'll even pass the judges!   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
Patch is in! Ran out of gas, the tanks And me! Started welding up other parts of the body too! Getting ready for the big job installing the quarter patch panel! I'm fortunate to have my talented buddy Randy! Even though he gets grumpy with me when I don't want to listen! Lol I think he is sick of my car already! Lol  :headbang:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:02:54 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 02:13:20 AM »
More progress ! Floor patch is all welded! Now it will get ground down, seam sealed and painted! Left quarter is good to go too! Next is the big one ! The right side! Biggest challenge yet so far of the body repair! Front clip will have to come apart too! Fenders are going to be replaced and maybe the hood!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:57:10 AM »
Looking Good! Just a few suggestions tho that may save you some time and effort...

When youre grinding, if youre using an air die grinder, use a 5/32 (?) thick x 3" wheel. Makes it easy to attack the high spots on each weld bump without generating too much heat. Once the high spots are down, the rest comes easy. I would also be very hesitant about ground on sheet metal; especially painted stuff. Even a momentary loss of ground can cause the welder to blow out and burn through that spot. I take a pair of vise grips on a body bolt and wiggle them for a solid ground, then put the clamp on there... Just sayin.

I see you tigged the trim holes closed. Any chance you have or wanna sell the bathtub clips and or trim. My '64 special is in need of some smalls like that. Feel free to PM me for details. My trim was the 3/4" wide aluminum stuff and kinda hard to find! Good luck and carry on!  Bill

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:03:05 AM by yachtsmanbill »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:37:25 AM »
Most of  welds that we have ground we used a carbide cutters to dress them down and then went to a grinder with discs or flapper wheel! I will use a body
File when I get to do the body work! This quarter  didn't come with clips!
The special deluxe or skylark trim clips used are about one in wide! Wider than
the trim on your car! I might have a few of the correct ones for your trim! Yes the 64 aluminum trim is very hard to find! And finding it in undamaged condition is even harder! In the years that I have been parting these cars I have had only one complete set! I think the correct one for your car is on the left in the picture!?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:54:50 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »
More grinding on floor welds! Had a few holes in the floor to weld up that were drilled to let out the acid when it was washed! Wire brushed and POR15 the spots going to come back and wire brush the whole floor! Got to dig out the old sealer and put in new, then POR15 and coat! Started drilling out spot welds on quarter piece getting rid of the unneeded metal! The left side of the car is done!!! Now onto the right!

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
Here is the biggest challenge of the body repairs! Luckily I have the clean original piece with the trunk drop to go in as the drop is rusty to! Here we go lol! I have almost the same repair to do on one of my other cars,same side also
but the drop is great and it will be a smaller patch! So practice and knowledge for future repairs!?

Offline marxjunk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »
i bought a pair of 1/4 rear lower patches from wolf steel..had them in a week and very high quality..they fit well and the body line is right

https://www.alfaparts.net/sky.htm

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
Hey Marxjunk how are you? You driving the red hardtop? I might try one of those Panels  on my other car as I don’t have rust in the wheel lip like on this car! Only the very bottom 4 inches! I would like to find a excellent front floor section that the seam is mint on as the floor is nice on that one except that darn seam!
If I ever get to go out west again maybe I can find something!?

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 08:04:41 PM »
I couldnt post pics in the PM, but these are the clips Im looking for. Nothing wrong with OEM driver quality stuff! Thanks!      Bill

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »
More progress! Right quarter holes done and drain holes in floor! My buddy Randy has done a incredible job welding!  There is no warpage what so ever! With the welds ground down you can't even tell there were trim holes! Had to getter up in the air to work on the quarter! Opened the very bottom of quarter up! A can of worms lol Rust worms! Lots of spot welds to drill out! On a good note layed a wheel well trim up to the quarter and it fits excellent so nothing is out of wack!

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
Lots of work going on! I drilled out around 80 spot welds between the the two panels! Worked on It Saturday non stop from 9-6 or so! It will be a excellent long lasting repair! The work I'm proud to say that my buddy is doing is better than that of some of the so called restoration companies!