Author Topic: 65 Post GS  (Read 2916 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Post GS
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 03:43:36 PM »
More

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 03:45:19 PM »
More ! quarter is on clamped down for fitting! Then welding it up!

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:01 AM »
Your quarter is looking good. I need to do about the same to my GS including a new trunk floor pan. Can I borrow your buddy Randy??? :-)
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »
Thanks!, he is like my talented big brother! With words of wisdom,encouragement,and positive reinforcement! After my
car he has several of his own projects to work on! I will put a good word
in for you though!

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
Nice progress!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 05:28:25 AM »
I was just looking at all the drilled out spot welds on the trunk floor side drops! Need a carpal tunnel brace yet???    Bill GOOD GOSH!
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
Don't think a brace is going to do much good at this point ! I have permanent damage to my hands and elbows already! My former job, part of it was opening bottles, sometimes 1500 to 2200 a day! The pain in my hands and elbows wakes me up at night! Sometimes my hands  cramp up or lock up and I have to physical pull them apart! Never had both hands do this at once! My hands also fall asleep. lol The spot weld cutting went good.I drilled a small pilot hole in each weld as the cutter I used has a guide stem which keeps the cutter going straight and smooth! I also used a pneumatic air drill, light and quiet!! Just hang on! My buddy runs twin compresses so no lack of air! Today POR15 the lip of the outer wheel well and other spots! I reconnected the e-brake cable and discovered that the trans mount bolts were mia!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:50:24 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 10:18:26 PM »
Lots of fitting and prep work! Omg it's on!!! :headbang: :rocker:

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »
Twins together! Tools of the trade! Things went very good! Lots of time ! We used the Fritzee Fabrication Technology! Overlap one inch,tack weld, cut at a 45 degree angle, carefully butt weld panel together! My buddy Randy is super talented! Over 50 inches of welds!!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:27:36 PM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
Almost done!!! Have to weld lip and a few of the hidden tabs! The main weld is ground down and once covered in paint you won't know it's there! Work continues with replacing the damaged left fender,fitting the right fender and hood! Also cleaned ,bead blasted,and rebuild the door hinges! So realigning the doors and strikers are in order! Replacement carb is next in line for a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and rebuild! Floor plate for the shifter hole is also in the works! Going to have to make a small piece to graft into it as it was hacked up over the years for different shifters!

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 06:22:05 AM »
Great work by you and Randy !! You’ll have that on the road in no time. Keep it up.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 07:51:24 AM »
Don't think a brace is going to do much good at this point ! I have permanent damage to my hands and elbows already! My former job, part of it was opening bottles, sometimes 1500 to 2200 a day! The pain in my hands and elbows wakes me up at night! Sometimes my hands  cramp up or lock up and I have to physical pull them apart! Never had both hands do this at once! My hands also fall asleep. lol The spot weld cutting went good.I drilled a small pilot hole in each weld as the cutter I used has a guide stem which keeps the cutter going straight and smooth! I also used a pneumatic air drill, light and quiet!! Just hang on! My buddy runs twin compresses so no lack of air! Today POR15 the lip of the outer wheel well and other spots! I reconnected the e-brake cable and discovered that the trans mount bolts were mia!

Were you selling beer at a ball game LOL? Ive had both carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel releases done twice; so now we are on to another:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02U4vSr2FX2nhORhNe3O4rcxnK0FQ%3A1589806105446&source=hp&ei=GYTCXu-7F4eWsgXivaSwAQ&q=Dupuytren%27s+Contracture&oq=Dupuytren%27s+Contracture&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCABQkxNYkxNgnSNoAHAAeACAAVqIAVqSAQExmAEAoAECoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwivrLGhub3pAhUHi6wKHeIeCRYQ4dUDCAk&uact=5
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »
This is a very good pic of what we are supposed to be seeing on the 64-5 lower quarters. The replacements fit good,but they do not have the compound curves of oem. If you look at the curved lower body line it appears that the lower quarter is straight,but it actually has a gradual curve that is also curved back out at the lower rear of the wheel well trim. This piece is difficult to find in decent used condition, so many are installing the aftermarket in pieces or making it fit otherwise. I have seen many rust-free advertised 64-5 cars with body lines that are just plain wrong from ten feet away. I?m not trying to be a perfectionist(synonymous with Chuck)....lol,but be aware of what it should look like on a proper repair.

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »
Thanks Dan! Lots of work, but well worth it! Yes out on the road is where this car deserves to be! Yachtsman theres a thought watching a ballgame,exercise,and get paid! Lol Ten years of production with repetitive motion kind of did me in! Thanks Schlepcar! OEM usually fits good as long as there's not bad damage where your trying to mate too! Anyways for today's adventure I decided to rebuild the shifter floor plate! Could have got a repo but this is the original ! So I looked for a piece of shaped metal and came up with the wheel housing that I cut off the quarter that we put on! So not cal metal fabrication but it is the first time I have ever built a piece like this ! Probably could do better with more practice and bead roller, English wheel etc..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:14:10 PM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 01:54:49 AM »
Stick carburetor is spruced up, rebuilt and ready to go on! Hopefully it works and the post runs smoother! Randy did a nice job on it! It took a nice bath in the ultrasonic cleaner with heat!