Author Topic: 65 Post GS  (Read 2927 times)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Post GS
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 06:02:57 AM »
Stick carburetor is spruced up, rebuilt and ready to go on! Hopefully it works and the post runs smoother! Randy did a nice job on it! It took a nice bath in the ultrasonic cleaner with heat!

It better work ! LOL

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for reminding me! (Re: 65 Post GS)
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »
Dear John, Dan, and mid-60s Buick restorers,

Stick carburetor is spruced up, rebuilt and ready to go on! Hopefully it works and the post runs smoother! Randy did a nice job on it! It took a nice bath in the ultrasonic cleaner with heat!

It better work ! LOL

. . . . Of course it will work!  Don't nice and shiny things always work better? . . . .  :laughing7:

Seriously, thanks for sharing the photo.  It brought back memories of my own struggles with that model of Carter carburetor!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 01:31:20 AM »
Looks great spruced up! That ultrasonic is the trick.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:58 PM »
Well put carb on, runs better already! Also putting in a electric choke! Will work better with the headers! Got the shifter plate almost ready to weld in! Cleaned
up the body drain plugs and got them ready to install! Started pounding dents out of the fender!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:54:52 PM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 11:53:46 PM »
Finished welding the quarter! Had the small tabs and a little on wheel well lip! Hard to get pictures! Worked on grinding and dressing down the welds! Almost all done with welding! Just the shifter floor plate! I decided to pull all the body plugs and blow out the trunk, floors , rockers! The rockers had 30 pounds of mouse nest and media in them! Yuck! Had to use a very long air gun that fit in the hole and took the air hose and put it right in the rockers! Had to work it front to back to free it up!

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »
Shifter plate is in! I even did a little of the welds :hello2:All welded up! Going to align drivers door! Put rebuilt hinges on  the passenger door! Change out fender and try to align fenders and hood! Then back to my garage for POR 15 of all the floor ,New seam sealed and trunk spatter paint! Then the interior metal gets paint the red!

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 10:40:02 AM »
Mice can really take over and do some damage. Plus the mess they leave behind is UGH. Good looking work!
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »
Now ya have me wondering; Ive never had the vents out, just the kick panels. Is that the same cavity as the rockers, or is that a different access? I did the trunk drops on mine (about a 3/4 plug at each end), but never thought of the others. Did you just vacuum out the vents? Where are the plugs on the rockers?   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »
Yachtsman, there are plugs in the rear wheel housing that lead right into the rocker! Also plugs in the lower front of the corners of the firewall! Unfortunately the mice nests and media came with the car!, it is all cleaned and blown out now! After half a day working on it! I took off the rear wheels allowing access to the rear holes! I utilized a ram rod that fit in the hole,vacuum cleaner in the kick panel vent and a long air blower! Worked It back and forth!, even put the air hose directly in the rockers! With Randy's twin compressors running full bore and 100 psi I got them cleaned out! What a fricken mess! The passenger side was easier as the factory a/c hole is there!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:58:31 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
Yachtsman, thanks for flipping the pictures!, for some reason I can't get them right! Anyways worked on the Post 4 out of the 5 days I was just off! Got drivers door on and replacement fender,had to use a Skylark as it is all that I could find! Started on replacing passenger side hinges did get door back on but not aligned! Fresh hinges always change that! Got to finish what I can as I got to bring her home this weekend!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:50:50 AM by gssizzler »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »
A man after my own heart... tapping every threaded hole. Dont forget to wire wheel the bolts and put a drop of 30W on each :hello2: !! So you pushed  the air ram rod from behind and put the vacuum in the kick panel vent?  Im gonna wait for next winter to do that one. Sounds like a mess! So wheres that rear plug? I never saw it on mine, but wasnt looking for it either...   :dontknow: :dontknow: A pic would be great!

Now for some breaking news... Manitowoc is having a 3,000 car "cruise night" this Saturday. Should be a blast. Gonna have both Buicks in attendance! 
 Even take the family car and park just to watch the driveby! 6:30 PM until...   Bill

https://www.facebook.com/events/2273678686261853?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%2229%22%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3A%22plan_user_invited%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D&notif_id=1590289064132828&notif_t=plan_user_invited&ref=notif
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »
Yep tapped all 24 holes! ,and clean the bolts! Wire brushing is the preferred method of cleaning bolts! I don't like to blast or use toxic chemicals! I think bead blasting wrecks the finish and don't like the grit! I use a dab of really good anti seize! That cruise in Manitowoc sounds great!

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »
So yesterday was not a good day as I have mentioned I have been having issues with my hands and joints! I went to put the passenger side door on and it came out of my hands! I dropped it on the floor on the lower front corner! :angryfire:no pictures!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:54:01 PM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2020, 10:45:10 PM »
Today was much better! I really wanted to put the a.c. Back on this car! Either factory or a new system! I have most of the original parts but they all need to be rebuilt/restored!$$ Just not in the budget right now! So I got holes to fill! I have only seen three factory sets of block off plates ever! They don't repo them and couldn't find any originals for sale! So I'm building my own! I think I found something that is very challenging and rewarding! If you have been following the post you will remember the extra metal I trimmed off the quarter we put on! So I inverted the beveled edge and used it to lock into the fire wall! I put a couple tabs to also help keep them in place! I will  be using the factory screw holes to hold these on!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:56:39 PM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2020, 10:49:46 PM »
The champagne of beers loaned it's carton for templates! Easy to cut but stiff enough to hold some form!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:58:52 PM by gssizzler »