Author Topic: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455  (Read 13768 times)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
G'nevening fellow Buick lovers and hemophiliacs! Got the V6 completely out today and on the cart. I rhink its destined for the scrap yard, unless anyone wants anything els off of it. Nice new rebuilt 1 barrel Ca. 1980, three speed manual with complete linkage set up minus the Z bar. Got the whole thing out from above except for one dust cover screw under the flywheel housing. Once it was up off the mounts, the starter caught up to the X member with more UP and Forward steps. Got it out, but Im satisfied, the 455 assembly on he mounts etc will happen in situ. Exhaust stuff oughta be fun too. Check out the HEAVY DUTY Z BAR. Another complicated but good design!... Check out the grease boots; still supple.   

Going to look at a 430/455 collection for a top end (1970 ish) and a std. crankshaft & rods I hope. The $$$ is right, so we'll see. Camera will be along!  ws

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:13:59 PM by yachtsmanbill »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
Good job getting stuff done, things around my place move quite a bit slower.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
That's a keeper! (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
Dear Bill, Jim, and 65GS.com seekers of a "power vocabulary" . . . . .

G'nevening fellow Buick lovers and hemophiliacs!

Oooh, 'hemophiliacs' is a keeper!  I'll have to add that to my vocabulary! . . .  :laughing7:

Exhaust stuff oughta be fun too.

Have you thought at all about what sort of exhaust you want for your Buick big-block?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 09:58:24 PM »
#" pipes out the front of the rear tires with glass packs... not really yet butsomething a little throaty. The XGS with 3" duals and short magna flow muffs has a brutal drone. Cant hardly hear the radio...   ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2019, 05:32:03 AM »
Yeah Ed... on some statin stuff for cholesterol and when ya get a bump ya turn black and blue instantly, or a scratch and ya see blood drops all over the floor, then feel the drips coming off the elbow. Getting older stinks... :violent1:   ws

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Exhaust kit or roll your own? (Re: 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2019, 06:33:07 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick owners who really want to hear the car radio . . . .

#" pipes out the front of the rear tires with glass packs... not really yet butsomething a little throaty. The XGS with 3" duals and short magna flow muffs has a brutal drone. Cant hardly hear the radio...   ws

Yes, I still have some difficulty hearing the radio in my trusty wagon.  However, I'm continuing to work on that problem.

Are you thinking about rolling your own exhaust or would you be thinking more of an exhaust kit?

A curious mind would like to know!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2019, 07:20:38 PM »
Id really have no compunctions to rolling my own, just so the stalks dont poke through the tubing!  :occasion14: :occasion14: Im super spoiled with the 3" SS system that came on the BAD LAD with the Hooker Headers; but the drone.... It seems that all the stock systems for any kind of OEM dual exhaust is like <2" . Out to the rear bumper is MANDATORY as well.  What say the exspurts? MIDAS is out and the custom guy that loves Buicks 3 doors away is gone. :sad1:
    Going with iron manifolds on this job to keep it simple. Probably hafta get a pre-bent set and modifitificate it.  Possibly a '64-65 BBC chevelle set? We'll play this one before pulling out the net LOL...   ws

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »
My favorite mufflers are the Walker Dynomax Super Turbos.
Sounds healthy at idle, fairly quiet at cruise with no drone, and sounds great when you get on it.
2-  1/2" is plenty big for a street car.
Make sure you get 64-67 tailpipes, as the 68-72 pipes are shorter and won't reach the back bumper.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:55 AM »
I purchased a 2-1/2" exhaust system for a chevelle a while back for my 1965 Skylark. It was designed for headers and didnt go all the way to the manifolds. Since I have a nailhead in the car all I had to do was fab some short pipes to connect to the manifolds. Came up a little short on the back end but I added some chrome tips to make up for it. Dont remember the brand but I purchased from Summit.

Id really have no compunctions to rolling my own, just so the stalks dont poke through the tubing!  :occasion14: :occasion14: Im super spoiled with the 3" SS system that came on the BAD LAD with the Hooker Headers; but the drone.... It seems that all the stock systems for any kind of OEM dual exhaust is like <2" . Out to the rear bumper is MANDATORY as well.  What say the exspurts? MIDAS is out and the custom guy that loves Buicks 3 doors away is gone. :sad1:
    Going with iron manifolds on this job to keep it simple. Probably hafta get a pre-bent set and modifitificate it.  Possibly a '64-65 BBC chevelle set? We'll play this one before pulling out the net LOL...   ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »
So EZ, did you have any clearance issues? My '72 with the 3" needs shock spacers (towers) on the back to alter the geometry slightly for clearance. The pipes are about 1/4" away. Just curious.. its a long way away from that turn off ramp!  ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2019, 08:42:40 AM »
So my pal, an ex GS owner (1965 ragtop in 1975) sent me this. Just wanted to share it...   ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvA-8s6Z2wY

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Exhaust experience (Re: 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
Dear Bill, Walt, EZ Cool, and mid-60s Buick owners seeking exhaust harmony,

My favorite mufflers are the Walker Dynomax Super Turbos.
Sounds healthy at idle, fairly quiet at cruise with no drone, and sounds great when you get on it.
2-  1/2" is plenty big for a street car.
Make sure you get 64-67 tailpipes, as the 68-72 pipes are shorter and won't reach the back bumper.

My wagon also has a 2-1/2" exhaust system from Pypes and Dynomax Super Turbos.  I do like the sound of the Super Turbos, but they are a little loud at the moment.  This could be a result of the wagon cargo area acting as a huge resonator.  This is something I want to look into.

I purchased a 2-1/2" exhaust system for a chevelle a while back for my 1965 Skylark. It was designed for headers and didnt go all the way to the manifolds. Since I have a nailhead in the car all I had to do was fab some short pipes to connect to the manifolds.

A friend of mine told me that if you want the best fit, you are better off with the TA-Performance kit.  It is after all designed for a Buick.

So my pal, an ex GS owner (1965 ragtop in 1975) sent me this. Just wanted to share it...   ws

Nice car!!  :hello2:

Offline EZ Cool

• Crazy about Buick!
    • EZ Cool
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
I did not have any clearance issues at all.

So EZ, did you have any clearance issues? My '72 with the 3" needs shock spacers (towers) on the back to alter the geometry slightly for clearance. The pipes are about 1/4" away. Just curious.. its a long way away from that turn off ramp!  ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
RADIAL THUNDERMONGS??? HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLlAxq5TaL4

Havent checked in for a while so here goes... Need some sage advice about getting  some front springs for the Special. Traded in the V6 at the scrap yard with the 3 speed, manifolds, and a bunch of iron (oh the irony!) and a turbo 400 that in total netted me 21.46. YES, thats correct.
  So I picked up a 1970 complete 455  to strip down. I was gonna keep the heads and intake and maybe the crank. The crank is out of the picture, so i am going with a reman crank with bearings. The block is going in next week for an assessment (sonic testing), and if good, a bore job and all the other stuff that goes with it, plus a valve job. Hope the heads check out. I am using my tired 1974 455 block with the 1970 top end.
   Picked up a set of gently used T/A +.040" forged dished pistons, rods and a Schneider pretty hot cam and Rhoads lifters for 250.00 today. That, and COUCH shopping with Pat wore me out! Totaled about 250 miles today.
   So the guy that had the 1970 motor tells me it was his brothers... "I think it had a rod knock". Yeah, at the bottom of a lake. Its amazing how sound travels through water, Right Edouard???  :read2:

Heres some pics of a rod knockin' block for kicks. Ill check in tomorrow for some more breaking news LOL...    ws

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Front Spring wisdom? (Re: 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »
Dear Bill and 65GS.com parts cobblers,

Thanks for the update and the pictures.

. . . .
Need some sage advice about getting  some front springs for the Special.
. . . .

I'm afraid this question might have gotten lost in all the interesting info.  I know there are some good resources for springs, but I've forgotten.  Could somebody remind me?