Author Topic: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455  (Read 13785 times)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455
« Reply #1155 on: January 05, 2021, 02:10:16 PM »
BLIMEY!!  Righto Mate !!  :cheers2:   ws
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
What's new with BADLAD and BADLASS? (Re: 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #1156 on: February 03, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

So what's new in your neck of the woods?  Back in September you told us:

Yo Guys! Its been a bit for me here... had a busy summer. Getting close to Buick yome again, and have to choose between the 64 and the 72 for some seasonal work; the other goes into storage.
. . . .

So which car is still on the active roster and which is hibernating for the winter?  Any other interesting tidbits to help get us through the long cold winter?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #1157 on: February 04, 2021, 04:57:23 AM »
Hey Ed... been meaning to check in here a little more often. Been a crazy year and this winter has been no exception. A "case of life" got in the way and the bottles are non refundable LOL.  I managed to get everything put away last fall, which in itself is no small undertaking, then around last October things got crazy. Had a bunch of teeth yanked and new choppers made, then a pal bought a 2000 HP 100 foot harbor tug and needed an engineer. That job is part time but pays ca$h at a handsome rate; and thats paying for some of my own work on my boat. Changing out a bunch of wood panels in the pilot house for 1/8" aluminum. AS I age, these projects are tending to become once and done now. A 4 x 10 sheet of 1/8" Al is almost 400.00 and I needed 3 sheets. YIKES!!

The rest of the work around here is semi normal with the cars, being almost done, are on the warming burner. This next few weeks we are faced with real winter with daytime highs reaching ZERO F. Thats time for some Buick work in the Fortress of Solitude. Just a few minor jobs on the interior and then pull the intake off the BADLASS and uncork the heat cross-overs in the heads to the intake manifold. When I built this motor 2 years ago, I made the mistake of listening to some rocket scientists across the hall, when I knew better.

The ol' gal really runs well, BUT, takes forever to warm up to a "driveable" state. That manifold needs heating. THEN, the choke and fast idle will work as designed. As it stands now, it starts right up but I need to nurse the fast peddle to keep it running for 15 minutes and the another 15-20 around town before she calms down. Lotsa bucking and jerking until that point. To a stranger, it would look like Im "new on the clutch" haha.

Anyways, best wishes to all here, and I sure hope 2021 is not the bust they are predicting. I promise Ill get back on here and post some pics and some commentary about the Buick Nazi's on other boards LOL. OOPS! can I say that?? I cant explain it myself, but I hear marbles rolling around inside!   Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Yup' Also *WAY* over my quota! (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #1158 on: February 04, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick caregivers who keep finding that "life" keeps getting in da' way . . . . .  :BangHead:

Hey Ed... been meaning to check in here a little more often. Been a crazy year and this winter has been no exception. A "case of life" got in the way and the bottles are non refundable LOL. 
. . . .

Sadly well understood.  I'm definitely feeling like when it comes to that sort of "life" - I'm also way over my quota as well!

. . .
A pal bought a 2000 HP 100 foot harbor tug and needed an engineer. That job is part time but pays ca$h at a handsome rate; and thats paying for some of my own work on my boat.

I'm glad that the tug has worked out to your advantage!  Although I always have to wonder about those "modelers" that stubbornly insist on models which are at 12" to the foot!  :laughing7:

Changing out a bunch of wood panels in the pilot house for 1/8" aluminum. AS I age, these projects are tending to become once and done now. A 4 x 10 sheet of 1/8" Al is almost 400.00 and I needed 3 sheets. YIKES!!

Unfortunately your problem is that you aren't alone is switching to aluminum.  I would expect that demand for aluminum is growing while refining capacity isn't being expanded.  It takes a lot of energy to refine aluminum from ore and we aren't expanding our electrical generating capacity in a manner that supports plants running 24/7.

The rest of the work around here is semi normal with the cars, being almost done, are on the warming burner. This next few weeks we are faced with real winter with daytime highs reaching ZERO F. Thats time for some Buick work in the Fortress of Solitude. Just a few minor jobs on the interior and then pull the intake off the BADLASS and uncork the heat cross-overs in the heads to the intake manifold. When I built this motor 2 years ago, I made the mistake of listening to some rocket scientists across the hall, when I knew better.

The ol' gal really runs well, BUT, takes forever to warm up to a "driveable" state. That manifold needs heating. THEN, the choke and fast idle will work as designed. As it stands now, it starts right up but I need to nurse the fast peddle to keep it running for 15 minutes and the another 15-20 around town before she calms down. Lotsa bucking and jerking until that point. To a stranger, it would look like Im "new on the clutch" haha. 

Sorry about your engine warm-up problem.  Yes, I understand the misfortunes of bad advice.  Even so, big-block engines simply need additional time to warm up.  Even if the EFI system seems to make Biquette usable after less than a minute of warm up, I prefer to allow her to warm up a few minutes to bring the RPM down a bit before setting off.

Anyways, best wishes to all here, and I sure hope 2021 is not the bust they are predicting.

*Heavy sigh*, . . . . . I'm definitely with you, but alas the news (and science generating said news) isn't particularly encouraging.  Given the dubious quality of science these days, perhaps we all should be praying for the second coming to get us out of this mess! 

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
C&O 1309 Mallet loco steams once more! (Re: Secret 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #1159 on: February 27, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick owners who also have a soft spot for external combustion engines,

Classic Trains Magazine mentioned that Chesapeake and Ohio 1309 has recently been restored and is streaming once more!  It is a true Mallet type 2-6-6-2 locomotive weighing in at 434,900 lbs.  It is the largest working steam locomotive in the Eastern part of the United States.  Wikipedia as more specifications then you can shake a stick at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_and_Ohio_1309

It is now owned by the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad who did the restoration.  Here is their webpage on their new pride and joy!

https://wmsr.com/1309-restoration/

They even have a video of their new baby in action:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=676765163003748

If you don't like Facebook, here is a video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/qTUctO8PqI8

That should definitely warm the heart of any steam enthusiast!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #1160 on: March 24, 2021, 06:53:07 PM »
Hhahaha!  ws

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #1161 on: March 25, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick owners with a funny bone . . .

Hhahaha!  ws

Thanks for sharing!  That gives a whole new meaning to being "in over your head" with Buicks!  :laughing7: