Author Topic: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455  (Read 13738 times)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
Greetings Edouard and fellow baby Skylark fans... The reason I posted that one pic was specifically with you in mind! I honestly dont know if the "window" pops out/in and was painted at the factory, or installed clear and the whole dash just painted as one. Seeing as they built a few thousand a day, youd think they went with the easiest method possible. Even on my 72, I was surprised to see two or three different bezels with different style vents with or w/o AC.
  So if the judges see it, just say it was a one off prototype from the Buick engineering department that one of the guys saved. Dang judges!

On the film thing... I used to shoot Kodachrome ASA 100 for better color. The 400 was dull and grainy, but FAST. The slide film was nice and slow and I did a bunch of work all over Europe (Avenue des Champs-?lys?es , Londons Tower bridge etc.) from roof tops showing tail light streaks from time exposures at 14 y.o. Learned that one from National geographic!   ws
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Some secret! . . . (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »

..... maybe you can answer a question for me.  So what is in the space for the automatic transmission shifter?  I painted the OEM shift indicators black

My '66's  just have the shift indicator painted black. It's the same piece as the column shift cars.... clear for the column shift, painted black for floor shift.

Primary reason for the '67 GS400 engine mount frame pads is to position the engine (back?) by one inch compared to the later years. I don't know enough about the swap to tell you what the differences are in the height of the rubber mounts.
I once bought a 455 from the junkyard for a 'someday' use, but 'someday' hasn't come yet! Besides, I like the Nailheads!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
Im pricing out some 1967 GS 400 mounts and aux stuff right now. Thinking outside the box like I do, my main concern is keeping the Z-bar as a datum point. Really not too different than a BBC in a 64-65 chevelle... Dear old dad was a GM engineer for his career at Electro-Motive in LaGrange, Il. and always extolled the virtues of GM's "standardization". We'll see how it plays out. At least it aint a dodge!   ws

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Curious how shifter looked (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 03:02:42 PM »
Dear Bill, Walt, and mid-60s Buick owners who are curious about each other's cars,

Greetings Edouard and fellow baby Skylark fans... The reason I posted that one pic was specifically with you in mind!
. . . . .

Well thanks!  I've always been curious how the shift looked without the automatic transmission indicators.  I suspect I went overboard with the way I dealt with it.  That's the problem of being a Model Railroader.  On HO scale models, very tiny features really matter while the overall look of the layout . . .  No kidding, it doesn't look a like real railroad no matter what you do!  :laughing7:  I someone were to ask for some advice on how to do replicate what I did, I would suggest putting some sort of metal or plastic plate but paint it the black as the rest of the dash.  That's much simpler what nobody will notice the difference.

On the film thing... I used to shoot Kodachrome ASA 100 for better color. The 400 was dull and grainy, but FAST. The slide film was nice and slow and I did a bunch of work all over Europe (Avenue des Champs-?lys?es , Londons Tower bridge etc.) from roof tops showing tail light streaks from time exposures at 14 y.o. Learned that one from National geographic!   ws

Wow!  That must have been exciting photographic assignment!  I've forgotten what film I was shooting in my Nikonos V underwater camera but it was slides.  After I wrote that posting I was reminded how much I was a glutton for punishment.  Two of the most difficult venues to take photos is underwater and astronomy.  I sure know how to pick 'em don't I! :BangHead:

Thanks for sharing all the interesting info!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 06:45:40 AM »
Good morning Edouard and fellow Buick photograhers and overwhelmed "A" body enthusiasts...

I finally finished gutting the '75 rods' a knocking' 455 that slated to go into the GX 455. I couldnt believe how tight some stuff was. The 2 cam sprocket bolts (plastic gear and wore out chain) wouldnt come out so I slid the cam out with the chain and crank gear still attached... reverse engineering Ha! The damper slid off real easy with a puller (always use one regardless of the fit) after I had to get the 3/4 electric impact on it with a 1-1/8" socket for the crank bolt. Even Methuselah struggled, but the bolt surrendered.

Two rod bearings were so worn out that they actually overlapped each other in the big ends of the rods. The crank journals are wasted showing almost .025-.030" of wear BEFORE any grind can happen. The mains look perfect so thats gonna help. I think the mains' install was OEM, but the rods were done in the car once by some one who didnt have a clue. Orange RTV on the rail and cork gasket oozed out enough to cover up the dipstick hole etc. Just a gooey mess.

Did get a few calls on the '88 T-bird turbo coupe I rescued. Should make a 15X profit on that one, but will surrender 1/2 to Pat because she earned it helping me with my addiction LOL. So it looks like a major overhaul on the 455... rings, bearings, crank, cam and lifters, and a pair of 1970 small chamber heads... nothing too fancy I hope.

Should hear from a guy stripping out a 1967 GS 400 about brackets and pulleys today. Ill have all my cleaned and painted ducks in a row for re-assembly!   ws

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 07:56:49 AM »
A tardy welcome to you and Pat. Keep the narrative coming. Great stuff.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
Heading out for GB right now! Verizon, Olive Garden for lunch and then a wine stop at Festival Foods. Getting home Im gonna pick up the tools and put away. Gotta stay ahead of the mess! Where in GB are you?    ws

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 08:30:27 AM »
Heading out for GB right now! Verizon, Olive Garden for lunch and then a wine stop at Festival Foods. Getting home Im gonna pick up the tools and put away. Gotta stay ahead of the mess! Where in GB are you?    ws

Located in Allouez on the east side. Not too far off of I-43. Going to the Festival Foods by Menard’s ?

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
I get through GB myself a few times a year, maybe I?ll run into you there.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 11:26:51 AM »
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the 64-65 (oh, and 66!) Buick A-Body playground. Check out this thread Tony S. posted last year:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,3533.0.html

455/2004R and later GM 10 bolt in a 65 Skylark. And he lives in Milwaukee....

Mark
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:28:49 AM by Mark Ascher »
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »
Thanks Mark... pretty neat undertaking! Wish that were my mom LOL... Im gonna one-up him with a 455-4 speed i hope! Im already (or should be??) committed haha...    ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »
YEPPERS... festival for the wine sale (!), then to Verizon on Willard for a cavity exam, then off to Olive Garden  for some pig-out :tard:, and back in time for a nap.... Ahhhh ! :sleepy2: :sleepy2:     ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »
The new baby arrived at 12:05 PM on January 3rd !!!  :blob7: He's a healthy 115 pounds and 28 inches long, and hung like a horse LOL. guess Im gonna hafta order T/A engine pads. I was in touch with a guy that didnt honor being in line for stuff, then it became "that its not worth it to lay in the mud then drive 15 miles to ship"  :bootyshake: :bootyshake: Thanks pal... hope I can return the favor!

Anyways, the V6 and 3 speed is getting extracted today I hope. I havent broken a single bolt yet LOL. I am keeping the bell housing and Z bar but all else is fair game. Timing chest, rockers, distributor and engine sheet metal is spoken for. The rest is going to the scrap guy, so sing out!   ws

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 07:01:46 AM »
BTW... its sooo much easier to work on like this!   ws

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:04:46 AM by yachtsmanbill »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Some delivery! (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
Dear Bill and 65GS.com "expectant fathers," . . . . .

The new baby arrived at 12:05 PM on January 3rd !!!  :blob7: He's a healthy 115 pounds and 28 inches long, and hung like a horse LOL.

. . . . Oh my!  I do hope it was delivered by C-section!! . . . .

guess Im gonna hafta order T/A engine pads.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with a seller.  You can count on TA-Performance to be a lot nicer!

BTW... its sooo much easier to work on like this!   ws

Thanks for sharing your project!  Keep those pictures coming!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: