Author Topic: New here...from NE Iowa  (Read 1626 times)

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
New here...from NE Iowa
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »
I've owned Skylarks including a GS for most of my life.  My first Skylark purchase was when I turned 14. I currently currently own four Skylarks and the chassis for a fifth.  One of the Skylarks is a GS.

The reason I happened upon your site is that I was referred here by the Sloan Foundation.  They recently helped me research one of the hardtops, which was a special order west coast (Fremont) car, sold new by the Turner-Jordan Buick Dealership in Berkeley.  The dealership has some history in and of itself, being one of the first Buick dealerships in the world and having been founded by Charles Howard of Seabiscuit fame.  The dealership was later owned by Reggie Jackson.  I suspect, as I peel back the layers on the Berkeley Skylark's history, it will also reveal some interesting stories.

Our GS went to my restorer this past autumn and he's carefully disassembling and documenting it as I write this.  We already ran across a couple of odd things...even to me, having grown up with these cars.  I thought I'd throw one out on the forum to see what the group knows about it. 

That's about it.  Glad to be here.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome! (Re: New here...from NE Iowa)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »
Dear 9er3delta and 65GS.com welcome wagon, . . . .

By all means, let me welcome you to 65GS.com!!

I've owned Skylarks including a GS for most of my life.  My first Skylark purchase was when I turned 14. I currently currently own four Skylarks and the chassis for a fifth.  One of the Skylarks is a GS.

That's nice to hear!    You definitely bought your first Skylark before I bought my Special.  Did you grow up in one?  My Special wagon was bought by my parents when I was 7.

The reason I happened upon your site is that I was referred here by the Sloan Foundation. 

. . . .

Well now!  That's a very nice referral!  Thanks for sharing the interesting information about San Francisco Bay Area dealerships.  My wagon must have been sold in the same area, but we don't know anything about her first owner.  We bought her second-hand from Hayward Dodge.  She had those license plate frames for a long time.

Our GS went to my restorer this past autumn and he's carefully disassembling and documenting it as I write this.  We already ran across a couple of odd things...even to me, having grown up with these cars.  I thought I'd throw one out on the forum to see what the group knows about it. 

You've certainly come to the right place!  I'm sure you'll find a very knowledge and friendly group of folks who love the 1965 GS and mid-60s Buicks in general.

That's about it.  Glad to be here.

Well perhaps not.  If you are up to it, don't be afraid to share with us your first name - we are on a first name basis around here!

Once more welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New here...from NE Iowa
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:02 PM »
Welcome from MN!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »
Welcome aboard  9er3delta .
I,m sure what ever you need to know someone here will have the answer , theres a wealth of knowledge on this site .
As for me i,m just along for the ride .
Glad to have you here . We like pictures here to so if you get a chance .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:10:12 AM »
Welcome !

Hard to say more then what you have heard already. But again welcome and I hope you become comfortable enough to join in the conversations, ask questions and in general enjoy the community here.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:30:21 AM »
Welcome 9er3delta. Keep us informed on your restoration project. We like pictures.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »
Let me add my welcome from SW Michigan.  Where are you in NE Iowa?  My daughter used to live near Mason City.

Glad to have you aboard and looking forward to following your projects!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
And welcome from Northwestern Ohio.  Many great Buick folks here, several suffering from the same multiple Skylark mality, but there is hope here in our little support group. Welcome aboard! 

Interesting call sign 9er3delta, must be a be a story there.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the greeting All!  To answer a couple of questions...

1.  I'm John, my wife is Janet. It has been a 30+ year adventure for us together with our early power.  Janet loves old cars, tractors and pickups as much as I do.  In fact, she owns more old pickups than I do. 
2.  I did grow up on Buicks.  That's all my parents drove in my early days, including two Skylarks (1965) a 1965 Le Sabre, 1968 Le Sabre when I was a kid.  For whatever reason, when we got to the 70's, my Dad bought my mom a Cutlass Supreme and he shifted to a Chevette and then a Chevy Luv diesel.  Anyway, the 60's was all about Buicks...guess I was born into it.
3.  I'm fortunate that I have the contact info for the previous owner of the Berkeley Buick.  I hope to reach out to her this spring to learn more about it and maybe begin the backtrack process to learn it's history.
4.  We're near Manchester in Iowa. 
5.  Speaking of Mason City, one of my hardtop Skylarks is from there, one I've owned since the late 70's.  I am the second owner and the car is currently undergoing a full restoration.  The sons and grandsons of the original owner are following it closely. 
6.  I look forward to getting to know others with our affliction (or affinity) for these old Buicks through this forum and site.  Glad I found you.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Welcome from NE Wisconsin. Please, pictures and the story behind 9er3delta.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »
Welcome John from the Twin Cities. There is forum member here not far from you in Sheffield IA.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
Welcome to the site,we have projects(like mine) and some very nice finished and unrestored cars. I have been on this car off and on for awhile and it is this site that has kept progress going the right direction.There is always someone who can find what you are looking for here.Dan (central Michigan)

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »
 :hello:

Best I can do is offer a tip.

Seabiscuit, in the 7th.

:laughing7:
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Welcome John, from another John formally from Iowa. My home town is Estherville, currently living in the Kansas City area. The guys and gals here on this website will be able to answer all your questions. Post some photos of your Buicks.

BTW, the Iowa Hawkeyes Chapter is hosting the Buick Club of America Heartland Regionals July 19-21, 2018. You must be a member of the BCA to participate, but it's not necessary to belong to the Hawkeyes Chapter, but I would encourage it. The actual car show would be on that Saturday and the public is welcome to view the cars. You do not need to have a "show" car to bring a Buick. Let me know if you need contact information for this event.

Good luck with you GS restoration.

John Egel

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »
I think I may have figured out the quote system on this forum...here goes...

Welcome from NE Wisconsin. Please, pictures and the story behind 9er3delta.

Dan

"9er3delta" isn't directly Buick-related, but it is a part of my life and I use it as my username on several sites.  "9er3delta" refers to the last three alphanumeric characters in the tail number of our airplane...93D  I am the second generation in my family to own and fly it, but I suppose that's a story for another forum.  Do a Google search sometime when you're bored.  I'm sure it will turn up somewhere.

Photos are forthcoming...

Welcome John from the Twin Cities. There is forum member here not far from you in Sheffield IA.

Mark

Hi to the Twin Cities.  Lots of friends up there!  It is possible that the Sheffield member and I have chatted before.  I was running a 1965 Skylark/GS parts wanted on Craigslist awhile back, and I did talk to a guy from somewhere north of Waterloo who had one.  I still have his contact info somewhere.  If I recall correctly, he had a GS.

Welcome to the site,we have projects(like mine) and some very nice finished and unrestored cars. I have been on this car off and on for awhile and it is this site that has kept progress going the right direction.There is always someone who can find what you are looking for here.Dan (central Michigan)

Janet and I have been dragging our cars around for what seems like a lifetime now.  Some are done, others are in the works, yet others are standing by for time and money to become available.  I see there is a wealth of info on here...looking forward to digging.  Even though I've owned my Buicks a long time, there seems to be much to learn.

:hello:

Best I can do is offer a tip.

Seabiscuit, in the 7th.

:laughing7:

Thanks for the tip, Trunkmonkey!  I need all the help I can get!

Welcome John, from another John formally from Iowa. My home town is Estherville, currently living in the Kansas City area. The guys and gals here on this website will be able to answer all your questions. Post some photos of your Buicks.

BTW, the Iowa Hawkeyes Chapter is hosting the Buick Club of America Heartland Regionals July 19-21, 2018. You must be a member of the BCA to participate, but it's not necessary to belong to the Hawkeyes Chapter, but I would encourage it. The actual car show would be on that Saturday and the public is welcome to view the cars. You do not need to have a "show" car to bring a Buick. Let me know if you need contact information for this event.

Good luck with you GS restoration.

John Egel

Thanks for the welcome and info John.  I have some friends down in KC too...also a fun town like the Cities up north.  I would be interested in more information about the Hawkeye Chapter and also the event.  Janet and I don't get out to events and shows much, but we're not getting any younger and we're planning to get out more with our cars in the future.