Author Topic: New here...from NE Iowa  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: New here...from NE Iowa
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
I think I may have figured out the quote system on this forum...here goes...

I would be interested in more information about the Hawkeye Chapter and also the event.  Janet and I don't get out to events and shows much, but we're not getting any younger and we're planning to get out more with our cars in the future.

Looks like you have a handle on using the Quote option.
You can find future events at  the Calendar button and in the Events & Event Pictures  section. 
Here is a link to the Iowa show ,  http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3791.0

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Any wagons by chance? (Re: New here...from NE Iowa)
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
Hi John and mid-60s Buick owners,

Sorry for a belated reply, life is definitely frazzled these days.

Thanks for the greeting All!  To answer a couple of questions...

. . . .

2.  I did grow up on Buicks.  That's all my parents drove in my early days, including two Skylarks (1965) a 1965 Le Sabre, 1968 Le Sabre when I was a kid.  For whatever reason, when we got to the 70's, my Dad bought my mom a Cutlass Supreme and he shifted to a Chevette and then a Chevy Luv diesel.  Anyway, the 60's was all about Buicks...guess I was born into it.
. . . .

I'm curious, were any of those 1965 Skylarks station wagons by chance?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:44:09 PM by elagache »

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »
I think I may have figured out the quote system on this forum...here goes...

I would be interested in more information about the Hawkeye Chapter and also the event.  Janet and I don't get out to events and shows much, but we're not getting any younger and we're planning to get out more with our cars in the future.

Looks like you have a handle on using the Quote option.
You can find future events at  the Calendar button and in the Events & Event Pictures  section. 
Here is a link to the Iowa show ,  http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=3791.0

Loren

Thanks Loren.

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
Re: Any wagons by chance? (Re: New here...from NE Iowa)
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
Hi John and mid-60s Buick owners,

Sorry for a belated reply, life is definitely frazzled these days.

Thanks for the greeting All!  To answer a couple of questions...

. . . .

2.  I did grow up on Buicks.  That's all my parents drove in my early days, including two Skylarks (1965) a 1965 Le Sabre, 1968 Le Sabre when I was a kid.  For whatever reason, when we got to the 70's, my Dad bought my mom a Cutlass Supreme and he shifted to a Chevette and then a Chevy Luv diesel.  Anyway, the 60's was all about Buicks...guess I was born into it.
. . . .

I'm curious, were any of those 1965 Skylarks station wagons by chance?

Hi  Edouard!  Sorry, no wagons.  Both of my parents' Skylarks growing up were 1965 4-doors.  I bought my own first Skylark was I was 14, it was also a 4-door.  I fixed it up, sold it and bought a 1965 2-door hardtop at 16.  I still have the car.  Later after I was married, my wife Janet and I added a second Skylark, a 1965 2-door thin pillar coupe GS.  Later we bought a third Skylark from my brother, a 1965 convertible Skylark.  Then, aside from parts hoarding and parts cars, we didn't buy another 1965 Skylark until last year, when we purchased our 4th 1965 Skylark, another hardtop.  Janet has wanted a wagon for a long time, but we never seem to find one when we either have money or space.  One day it will happen.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Here's to the goal! (Re: Any wagons by chance?)
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
Dear John and mid-60s Buick lovers, . . .  :love4:

Hi  Edouard!  Sorry, no wagons. 

Bummer dude!  :dontknow:  You just don't know what you can carry until you have a "long-roof" to carry it.  From scuba gear to oversized desks, my wagon has literally carried it all!!

Both of my parents' Skylarks growing up were 1965 4-doors.  I bought my own first Skylark was I was 14, it was also a 4-door.  I fixed it up, sold it and bought a 1965 2-door hardtop at 16.  I still have the car.  Later after I was married, my wife Janet and I added a second Skylark, a 1965 2-door thin pillar coupe GS.  Later we bought a third Skylark from my brother, a 1965 convertible Skylark.  Then, aside from parts hoarding and parts cars, we didn't buy another 1965 Skylark until last year, when we purchased our 4th 1965 Skylark, another hardtop. 

Well okay I guess that's an A for effort.   :thumbsup:  . . . .  Even so doesn't get a bit boring owning all those cars that only have trunks? . . . . .

Janet has wanted a wagon for a long time, but we never seem to find one when we either have money or space.  One day it will happen.

Now that's the spirit!  Go for it!! :hello2:

P.S. Biased?  Who me? . . . .

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Any pictures by chance? (Re: New here...from NE Iowa)
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »
Dear John, Janet, and lover of photographs of mid-60s Buicks,

As long as we've got your attention, would have any photos of your Buicks that you would be willing to post?  Its the middle of winter and lots of us have our cars in winter hibernation.   There is nothing like some photos of our favorite cars to give us a wintertime pick-me-up!  :sunny:

Thanks in advance - I hope! :angel4:

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »
As promised...some images of my Buick's. 

Our Skylark Convertible (not GS).  This one traveled to every corner of North America and half way around the world when my brother owned it. It has stayed pretty close to home since Janet and I have owned it.

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »
This is the California Skylark I mentioned earlier.  We've started on it and have the L-74 high performance engine rebuilt and ready to go...body and frame is waiting for a stall to open up.  Rims/caps aren't correct according to the build and order sheets.  This one is sitting while we tackle the other two cars.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »
Very nice!  Hope you've got a nice, warm shop to work in.... :thumbsup:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
This was my hot rod.  I bought it when I was sixteen.  It was killed 34 years ago when two drunks on a Harley attempted to drive through the trunk into the back seat going 100 mph.  They successfully accomplished the feat, nearly killing themselves, my brother and me.  I kept it all these years, finally recognizing it wasn't my car's fault.  I decided it suffered enough, so it is now in my brother's shop where it has been completely deconstructed and will be reconstructed, back to it's former glory.  It will also have an incredible "before" photo and unique history behind it once it is done.  Btw, the black paint you see is what remains of 30 coats of hand rubbed lacquer that I'd put on the car back in high school. 

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing! (Re: New here...from NE Iowa)
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
Dear John, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick lovers,  :love4:

As promised...some images of my Buick's. 

Thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:  I't been a long day I'm about to retire to the boob-tube for some "decompression" . . .

However, I'll try to get back to your photos tomorrow!  :angel4:

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 10:04:12 PM »
Finally, this is our GS, in the restoration shop and underway.  My wife and I have owned this one since 1986 and it has also waited a long time for the restoration shop.  When we started going through our cars, it was this one or our 1968 RS Camaro first.  We flipped a coin and the 68 Camaro went first, along with my brother's 68 Camaro.  Our Camaro is 99% done, my brother's is 85% done so we're turning all our resources toward the Buick's now.  I'm on Facebook and have complete builds with lots of photos and stories out there if anyone is interested.  This car has survived a tornado, and much more.

Offline 65arcticfox

• Buick Nut
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
Hi John, You and I talked some time ago. I think you were looking for a 64/65 skylark body for the one in the wreck. I just saw what looked like a fair 64 on Atlanta cl. Anyway good to hear from you again. The heartland regionals are in Cedar Rapids July 19-21. I may see you there. They are hoping to have as many wagons as possible to celebrate the new buick wagon coming out this year. Anyone have a wagon on here? It?s only 1800 miles give or take from California. See you there. Bill

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
They are hoping to have as many wagons as possible to celebrate the new buick wagon coming out this year. Anyone have a wagon on here? It?s only 1800 miles give or take from California. See you there. Bill

LOL! Not sure the wagon has ever been out of Cali - it's high time!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:43 AM »
That's quite a collection, John.  And quite rare to have personal history with them, especially one that you're going to bring back from "the dead".  Glad that she saved you and your brother so that you could create history with other vehicles and live to put her back together again.  Personal history with vehicles really is something special!

Have a great weekend!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100