Author Topic: bad frame:  (Read 4139 times)

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
bad frame:
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
I received the frame I bought from a member from the other buick site.Said it was solid,solid frame, he"s also a popular guy on the site and I think I"v seen him on this site as will. he sent  alot of pics that you can see for your self on the site, but just not the ones that showed the frame being damage. the damage is right in front  of the trailing arm that attach's itself to frame,  the frame being square should be about 4in. wide there but it is more like 2.5 to 3in.when the frame arrived it stuck out like a sore thumb it was full of  sound deadener. their is a pattern of 3 holes in that area that you could not see due to filler covering the holes(sore thumb) now I'v seen how some of this problems arise on this  forums and they tend to get nasty and the guy who's the most popular,well most people will side with them. I'v got  $750 in a frame $400 in the delivery and I think I'm looking to get some money back I'll have to take off work, rent a car dolly drive to Fl. from Ind.I would think$750.00back and half of the travel expensence would be fair.                                                                                                                                                                 any advise and all advise would be appreciated. the last thing I would want is a war of words on this sites.  I don't think that is what this site are meant to do.                                     

sincerely, greg
greg

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: bad frame:
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear this.
The posted pics do not show any damaged or repaired areas.
Pics are here:
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=182478&page=3

Apparently, the frame was misrepresented as being in good condition, and obviously it is not. It should be up to the seller to make it right. I would expect a full refund, including shipping.
You could pursue legal action....

First, you should measure the frame to determine if it's been knocked out of shape.

Contact the seller first and discuss the situation. If he's not going to negotiate, post negative feedback in the 'Buyer/seller feedback' section. Include GOOD  pictures of the damage.  If the pictures show obvious damage, other members WILL side with you.... you can't argue with good evidence! Maybe the added peer pressure will help convince the seller to do the right thing!

A good alternative would be to have the frame repaired at the sellers expense. Look for a race car shop in your area to do the welding.
Good Luck!

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »
walt, your the best I'v contacted the seller and he has said he would make this right and he also has suggest that I contact a frame shop,he seems to be genuine and has a good rep. I'll keep you posted, can you imagine how disappointed I was when of all  people my wife was the 1st. to so me the place and has to rub my nose in it and hear,
 I told you so!!

standing in corner by my self, help!!!!!!

thanks,walt
                                                          sincerely,greg
greg

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »
You have to watch out for him.

Shoulda got my frame. No damage.
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
Joe,

Do you still have a boxed frame for sale?

If so, what are you asking for it?

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
chris thanks for the nice PM,I just had the frame guy over here he said he thought he could get it close but it would not be to his or my satisfaction in the end he thought the rusted frame was better than the one that arrived today.I'm going to give this guy some of the pics and the est. from the frame guy and get the guy whose going to help me out with this frame off his est. send it all down to the seller and give he a little time. I already told him that I don't see how he was going to make this right  other than give me back my money the 1st. est was for 960.00 thats more than I payed for the frame. wish me luck cause I'm going to need it AS for joe keep that frame your next in line wish I would have seen you sooner
                                          EVERYBODY THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT,

SINCERELY,GREG
greg

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »
Yes Chris it should still be in the Parts for sale
forum.
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
Greg,
Was the frame hit and bent? There are frame charts with all the proper dimensions. I should have a copy here somewhere....
Taking the measurements is easy. That will determine how bad the frame really is.

Getting a second opinion from another frame guy would be a good next step. Then try a race car shop that is good at fabrication and welding.

Mike Garrison has a 67 GS frame for sale in Topeka, Kansas. $650.
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=187473

Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
Walt, so far both people have told me that it would be cheaper to fix the original frame than to try to fix this bad frame.the first guy that came out here found several places were the frame was out  a half an inch ,and from the front to the rear axle it was out an inch. at this point I tend to agree with them. try to work with the original at least I know it to be straight and i know it will be easier for the body guy to line the body panels up     
             what do you think?
                                                      greg
greg

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:31 PM »
Ouch! That's out a lot.
Now that you have two opinions from frame guys, I'd be curious what the seller has to say.
It's hard to say what the solution to the deal would be. Long distance deals get difficult when there are problems.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

79 Turbo Regal

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 04:47:16 AM »
Greg,

As you get closer to working this out with him, please keep the members on this site and V8Buick.com informed on the results.

Hopefully you guys can resolve this in a way that both parties walk away feeling good about everything.

Unfortunately things like this happen when dealing with old parts and long distance deals and we can only hope that the end result makes the hobby better as people step up and do the right thing as opposed to give the hobby a bad name and take advantage.

Dennis has been around the Buick community for a while and I'd like to think that he'll do right by you if given the right amount of time and information. 

At this point it's his reputation on the line and that is something that not even money can buy back once it's gone.

I'll stay positive and guess that you guys will be able to work something out... keep us posted!

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
chris sent you email but it bounce back ?
greg

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
Sending you a private message...

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 66GSconv.

• Buick Nut
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »
I have my head so far up my as* thats its cutting off the oxygen to my head.but on the other side of this my wonderful wife called the court hse. to see if we have to go down their to file in small claims to my suprize we bouhgt it here and had it ship here and right now there telling he will have to come up here,I sure hope it does not come down to that
greg

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »
Good luck.I hope everything works out for you.I still have the one i told you about when we spoke on the phone.Have the posi out of it now so if you can't find another one let me know.     Tom