Author Topic: $100 for a hood ornament on eBay in *THIS* condition !?!??  (Read 6757 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
$100 for a hood ornament on eBay in *THIS* condition !?!??
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »
Dear fans of venerable 1965 Buick A-bodies,

In case you had any doubts about the seriousness of shortage of hood ornaments for our precious mid-sized Buicks, take a look at this one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-BUICK-SKYLARK-Original-Hood-Ornament-/131611105765?hash=item1ea4a219e5&vxp=mtr

If this fellow gets $100 for this one, it certainly should be time to have another discussion about a reproduction hood ornament!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: $100 for a hood ornament on eBay in *THIS* condition !?!??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »
Doesn't even come with a base !! :dontknow:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
I need one. I want something in good to excellent condition though. I also need some rocker molding. Anybody have any good leads?

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 11:29:39 AM »
 :overthetop:

"Remember folks this is an original. SHIPPING IS FREE ."

Maybe installation too.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
I think you could repair it,chrome it, and repaint it. Buy the correct base and resell it for half the price of chroming. Sounds like a hobby to me.....

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
These are needed (Re: Hood ornament on eBay in *THIS* condition !?!??)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
Dear 1965 Buick A-Body fans,

I need one. I want something in good to excellent condition though. I also need some rocker molding. Anybody have any good leads?

I wish I did.  I managed to pick up a Poston reproduction on eBay that does look nice, but I know the paint on it won't last.  So I'm also in the market for a good quality reproduction.  I did nudge my contact at OPGI but my last nudge got no reply.  That could mean either that they have decided to make a reproduction, or more likely they have decided the market is too small and don't want to know what the need is.  I would love to see this showing up in the next OPGI catalog, but I think we really should come together as a community.  Nobody else thinks this is as important as we do.

Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »

I have one on my parts car.  I'll take some pictures and post them here.  It's not excellent, but much better than the one on Ebay!

And I also seem to need rocker moldings.  I'll have to look into that as well.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
I have a couple used ones,but I have not yet found what new chrome will cost. I just got the portivent housings back from the chrome shop in Brillion,WI. They did an excellent job and I want to get a price quote on some of these smaller items. Then,of course,one would have to paint the hood ornament which would be a project in itself. Has anyone found a good way to put the correct colors back on them?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Lead on Tri-Shield colors (Re: Hood ornament on eBay)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
Dear schlepcar and 1965 Buick A-Body fans,

I have a couple used ones,but I have not yet found what new chrome will cost. I just got the portivent housings back from the chrome shop in Brillion,WI. They did an excellent job and I want to get a price quote on some of these smaller items.

Do you know if they can handle rechroming everything but the regions that need to be painted?  Even the stag and cross in the coat of arms really should be rechromed, but the areas to be painted need to be left alone.

Then,of course,one would have to paint the hood ornament which would be a project in itself. Has anyone found a good way to put the correct colors back on them?

Alas, the paint on my Poston reproduction got damaged so I needed to touch them up.  I got what looked like a very close match using Testors Model Master paints.  The colors were:

Insignia White - FS 17875
Insignia Red - FS 11136
Blue Angel Blue - FS 51056

The FS numbers refer to the Federal Standard for paint colors:

http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

So you should be able to get any sort of paint matched to these colors because they are commonly used both inside and outside government.  I later realized that using model paints was a mistake.  They aren't formulated to withstand the UV light of being outdoors.  However, with these paint codes, it should be possible to get paints that can take being outside and match the original Buick colors very well.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
I'm going to shoot some pics and send them to the chrome shop. I will get an idea of what he wants to plate them. I think I have two extras and one for my car.

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »

I have one on my parts car.  I'll take some pictures and post them here.  It's not excellent, but much better than the one on Ebay!

And I also seem to need rocker moldings.  I'll have to look into that as well.

Chuck

Id be interested pending those pictures....

Offline joereich

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
I usually don't respond but do you think they mean 100 pennies? I still have an NOS one but I am afraid to use. I did use a 65 Lesabra it's a little larger but simmular I just modified it a tad.

Joe

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
I usually don't respond but do you think they mean 100 pennies? I still have an NOS one but I am afraid to use. I did use a 65 Lesabra it's a little larger but simmular I just modified it a tad.

Joe

Want to sell that NOS ornament?  I'll use it....

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Would you photograph that NOS one? (Re: Hood ornament on eBay)
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »
Dear Joe and 1965 Buick owners of . . . ."treasure!"

I usually don't respond but do you think they mean 100 pennies? I still have an NOS one but I am afraid to use.

I don't blame you for not being willing to use it, but would you be willing to take some careful photographs of it?  Given how beat up the ornaments that came off of cars are, it would be very interesting to simply see some quality images of an NOS ornament.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Edouard, this is a picture of the one on my convertible.

As an FYI the NOS hood ornaments seem to sell for about $500 - or more.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60