Author Topic: Paint codes on rear axle  (Read 6164 times)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Paint codes on rear axle
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd show some photos of the paint codes that I found on the rear axle of the '65 GS that I'm restoring.  This is an all original Fremont, CA built GS, rust free, automatic transmission, 85,000 mile convertible.  I know the complete history of this GS and have the original window sticker and protecto-plate info.  I'm in the middle of doing a total body-off-the-frame restoration.  The axle had the usual dirt and grease, but after scrubbing it down with soap and water, I was amazed to see all the paint codes still visible.  It has the standard green paint bands around the axle tubes, indicating a 3.08 ratio as expected.  The other two '65 GSs that I own also had the green bands.  But this convertible also had an orange paint dab on the right axle tube only.  From the literature that I've seen, this should indicate a posi.  Knowing that it wasn't a posi, I still hoped that I could be mistaken.  After removing the cover to verify, it's not a posi.  Why the orange paint?  Go figure.  I also found on the bottom side of the differential an "LG" stamped in yellow paint.  From my literature this indicates a 3.08 GS only.  The GS ring and pinion gears are "lubrited" (see the GS supplement, section 6-1); I assume this means extra hardened steel.  Also on the rear differential are two white painted bars.  I have no clue what that could indicate.  Any ideas?  The rear axles also had a yellow paint dab on the very ends of the hubs.  On the inside of the axle hub area, I found on both axles a pink paint ring.  See photos.

I've just finished putting the powder coated frame back together.  Replaced all the bearings, seals and gaskets. Complete new brake parts, except drums.  New stainless steel brake and fuel lines.  Next step is to put the body back on the frame.

Attached are photos of the rear axle, before and after.

John Egel (aka Nut465GS)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:30:32 PM by nut465gs »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Paint codes on rear axle
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »
John,

GOOD to see you on board. I like the work you're doing. Would be nice to get over your way and see the progress. Especially before the body goes back on . Or have you allready got to that point?

Take care , see ya,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:02:15 PM »
Loren,

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm long overdue in getting involved on the this website.  Before the body goes back on the frame, I need to decide how to detail the underside of the body.  First, I need to clean the dust and dirt from the body and paint shop.  That means laying on my back with a bucket of soap and water using a sponge and scrub brush.  It's a little too cold in the garage for that right now.  Initially I was going to paint it flat black, but I've changed my mind.  I am thinking that I should preserve the original factory color and finish.  It' virtually rust free.  Or maybe I should protect it with a satin clear finish.  What would you do?  Here's a couple of photos as it looks today. The first photo is after I wiped it down with a wet sponge under the trunk area.

Are you going to post anything about your current project?

John
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:08:39 PM by nut465gs »

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »
John,

Good to see you here! Those axle codes are interesting. Mine are similar - but different.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:20:07 PM »
Mark,

Since your GS is a 4-speed, with what I assume is a 3.36 ratio, there should be some different markings.  But as I recall, you also had the green paint bands around the axle tubes.  Obviously, that does not indicate the gear ratio after all.  Did you find any other paint codes?

John

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
Hi John, Glad you could join us!
I'm really a 66 GS guy (since 1977, I was 15), but finally picked up a 65 project a few years ago.

I'm working on a 66 GS Fremont car. The rear had the 2 green bands, but that's all I could find. I did not see a trace of paint on the rear other that those stripes.
I suspect the rear was unpainted when new, so tried to duplicate that look on the resto.
BTW, it was 3.36 ratio, open....standard on the 4 speed. So I don't believe the stripes signified ratio.
My 65 GS rear was in poor shape. Our eastern climate will do that. I did see traces of green stripes, and some orange (?)paint on the drain plug.

I believe some paint marks indicate that fluids were filled, or components received final torquing.
I've seen many green paint dabs on front-end components.

Do you believe the rear in your 65 was originally painted black?
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:29:10 PM »
John,

Yep, 3:36. In addition to the green bands, I found orange, blue an white paint marks, but nothing like what you have. I'll crawl under and take some pics. I'm working on putting in the gas tank now. Also, take a look at my resto thread, there are some shots of the rear there where you can make some of the original markings.

Walt, there were traces of black paint on the axle tubes, but none I could find on the center section. It seems to be standard practice now in restoring these that the tubes are black and the center is painted with cast iron gray.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Mark,

It's not to late for me to repaint my center section cast gray.  Your rear axle sure does look nice that way.  I like the attention to detail in the green paint runs.  Cool!  I knowingly deviated from factory stock on some items.  I had the brake backing plates powder coated black and I also painted the brake drums black.  I'm really having second thoughts about the drums.  But it's not to late to change that.  Since the backing plates are powder coated, I'm stuck with that.  I did go with stainless steel lines.  Now you got me thinking I should also change back to standard steel lines. 

John

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:30 PM »
On one of our many car outings , we had the opportunity to tour the assembly plant in Flint. The paint markings were explained as a quality control thing . It means that certain things are done in the assembly process. Kinda like they are checked off.

John, my car was apparently undercoated when new. I chose to remove the undercoating using a heat gun and a putty knife , mineral spirits , lots of rags , two or three tee shirts, a pair of jeans , a few beers, a few shots of scotch, plenty of sweat, some skinned knuckles, a few more shots of scotch and a lot of time on my back.
What I found was a satin black finish with some light white overspray. When done I elected to omit the overspray and returned to the satin black.

As far as the rear end finish goes, most every differential I've seen has shown signs of the axle tubes having been finished black,the cast iron center left raw, the covers have shown signs of being black and the backing plates unfinished.

As far as the paint markings go , they have been pretty much as Mark described. At least what has been left on the rear ends I've seen. I think we need to keep in mind that these markings were put on as the car is going down an assembly line by a person. Are they going to be be identical/ perfect?

Just my observations,gentlemen.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 05:13:12 AM »
I chose to remove the undercoating using a heat gun and a putty knife , mineral spirits , lots of rags , two or three tee shirts, a pair of jeans , a few beers, a few shots of scotch, plenty of sweat, some skinned knuckles, a few more shots of scotch and a lot of time on my back.

Now that's how to get things done!   

Buick passion fueled by beer and scotch!  You Gotta Like That!   8)

Chris

-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »
Loren, on the cars you've seen with traces of black paint on the axle tubes, was the black paint under the green stripes, or over those stripes?

I've heard reports that cars often got a quick spray of black paint on the front and rear suspension on the assembly line.

My 65 was built in Baltimore....it also has undercoating. For the resto, I'm going to try and save the uc, and just refinish the painted metal.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:40:00 PM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:59:27 PM »
John,

Don't look now... but it appears that a bunch of guys on the board like your "rear end"!    ::)

I know that it took a lot of cleaning to get it that nice and at that age I can say that it turned out pretty nice.   ::)

Wait till you get it to the Nats and everyone checks it out!

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
Walt, as I remember it was under the paint markings and also under the brake lines.

;D Here's to nice rear ends!

Hope the moderators are kool

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
Hey Loren I started it... so I get kicked off here first.   ;D

Don't worry, I know the guy that owns the joint (I hear he's a Buick guy).   8)

It's a club.. and the members make the rules and set the mood around here.

As long as no one is offended, feels attacked and we travel Fast with Class, I think things will be very easy going around here.   ;)

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 09:10:59 PM »
This is sounding good Chris. I am enjoying the board more and more as it is developing.

Again it's looking good.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371