Author Topic: Nailhead Roller Rockers  (Read 8945 times)

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Nailhead Roller Rockers
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
Loren,

You going to pick up all the PW stuff for me?  ;)

Back to Tom's roller rockers...

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »
There is more info than most could ever need over at: V8Buick.com   Click on search & type in "Tom's Roller Rockers".

Tom Telesco

Hi Tom. Maybe you can start your own thread like the one you have on V8. Or maybe just copy and paste the whole damn thing!! I stii haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will soon.

Great seeing you over here.
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
Nice to see you here Tom!
I know how much you love to type!....I can most likely answer many of the questions anyone has about Tom's rockers.

If you could sell these complete and ready to bolt-on, I bet you could sell more.
Tom can provide new shafts with the rockers.
I know of one place that has the shaft stands....
Would you be interested in a source for the spacer springs on the rocker shafts? I found a source online, they just sent me a catalog.
www.leespring.com
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:33 PM »

To anyone interested. I will do anything, just about, to satisfy everyone's needs. If you just send all the nec. parts to make a complete assembly you will receive a complete assembly ready to bolt-on. I will need 8 stands in good condition. Some wear is OK as "My Rockers" are larger in this area over the stockers. This gives more contact area & even provides "More" oil for better lubrication in this area. Not wanted are "Rebuilt" stands. These are just ground down & made thinner for a "New" surface for the stock rockers. 4ea. of the flat & wavy washers. 4 short & 2 long spacer springs for a total of 22 pieces. Or, you can send your complete old, original assemblies & I will dis-assemble, clean & re-assemble. I will include the cotter pins. LOL. All of this at N.C. I can give to anyone at least a thread to follow in your quest to make YOUR NAILHEAD A BETTER NAILHEAD!!!!!! I basically know where to get ALL the parts & many of them I have or am having made. Flexplates will be coming soon. Now you don't have to search E-Bay any longer for a used flexplate that was dragged behind an engine at the yard or garage & in the pictures doesn't show it as being bent or the pictures only show the good "Teeth". I don't have any extra rocker parts on hand other than used rockers or shafts that others have sent & not wanted back. I have given much free advice as to what I feel are the common mistakes in building our "Nails". Also offer advice to "Improve" what you have or will be building. Walt will have to do some more checking of what I PM'd him about. My main quest is to see that EVERYONE gets out of their "Nail" as much as or more than they can expect or be expected. The performance of these engines are not being held back as some may believe. THEY CAN PERFORM!!!!!!!! I just hope that Edelbrock WILL come out with heads. Hopefully they will also be able to supply the proper head gaskets with the heads. Can't use shim steel on an aluminum head & can't use old technology composite gaskets with the dissimilarity of cast & aluminum. And as Walt has stated, "I would rather a call that type". This has taken me over an hour for this short message.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »
Tom,

I'll say it again... Great to have you aboard!  All Nailhead guys here....   ;D

I'd asked in the other thread to provide advise on a dependable performance build and it sounds like you have a thread for us.  Please post a link to the thread at your convenience?

If you have a list of performance parts, prices or contact information that you'd like to publish here, please feel free to add it, or if you need help, forward it to me and I'll make sure it gets on line.  I'll be parts / vendor page eventually and provide a link for businesses like my lenses (www.DamnGoodAutoParts.com) so if you'd like a section for your stuff, just let me know.

I'm sure many Nailhead performance questions will end up here and it'll be great to help those members with a performance craving, get the parts and advice they need.

Thanks again,

Chris

-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
Rebuilt my 401 replacing every part in the valve train.  Ran great for about 500 miles.  Just crusing along and gave it a little gas and heard a couple of backfires, broke both intake and exhaust rockers on the number 1 cylinder.  HELP!  What setup do I need to get so this will not happen again. 

Tom
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »
Were the rockers new after market items ? My engine builder sourced a set of rockers from a west coast parts house. Four of the rocker arms broke in less than 500 miles. Got a replacement set, used GM originals, from Tom Telesco. When we compared the new with the originals it was plain to see that the new ones had definite design flaws.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline sjfd04

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
I know that the rockers I bought were not GM.  I would guess they were something made in China.  I just bought a complete NOS set Rockers, shafts, springs and towers from Buick Inc.  Hope that solves the problem.

Tom
65 GS 4-Speed Hardtop
2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
1970 1/2 Camaro Z-28 4-speed

Offline BuickGSrules

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
Noone should be upset now. I know from others that all what Tom Telesco is making is in super condition and he is one of the best with nailheads. I can only tell for myself that I has bought a set from TA performance and that is super quality with hardened shafts and bearings on the rockers ready to bolt on. I don?t think these will break.
Jan

1965 Gran Sport HT
1966 Wildcat 3 speed 1 of 23
1970 GS350 4 speed delete car

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »
Hindsight is always 20 / 20 however I agree that it's probably worth the time and money to just bite the bullet and use Tom Telesco's roller rockers the first time.

I know that they are about three times the cost, but it sounds like they are worth every cent and you'll never need another set again.  The extra money is worth the piece of mind and the extra performance is just icing on the cake.

I've broke a rocker tip in my coupe and we've yet to ever find the fragments in the engine (hoping the oil filter caught it).

I know that when the time comes (probably next year) I'll be making the investment and giving Tom a call..     ;D

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »
Rebuilt my 401 replacing every part in the valve train.  Ran great for about 500 miles.  Just crusing along and gave it a little gas and heard a couple of backfires, broke both intake and exhaust rockers on the number 1 cylinder.  HELP!  What setup do I need to get so this will not happen again. 

Tom

You do need to check clearances, especially if a non-stock cam was installed. Hi-lift cams may produce insufficient clearance between the valve spring retainer and the top of the valve guide. If the shop replaced valve guides or installed valve seals, there could be less clearance than stock.
There was a guy on V8 recently that broke some rockers....it turns out the inner valve springs were not seated properly in the pocket. When the valve opened, the spring became 'solid' when compressed...and something had to give.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the roller rockers! TA makes a nice set as well, but they do not fit under the stock aluminum valve covers.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline BuickGSrules

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 03:43:58 AM »
Correct that other valve covers are needed, but I do think that the alu ones they have with Nailhead printet on is nice, but of course yes it is another $200 to spend.
Jan

1965 Gran Sport HT
1966 Wildcat 3 speed 1 of 23
1970 GS350 4 speed delete car