Author Topic: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Painting)  (Read 4512 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Painting)
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2023, 09:13:09 AM »
That would be great Tony! I have a hotel room reserved and plan to attend. And if you're coming, I'll bring two 65 GS's!
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Assembly)
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2023, 08:08:51 PM »
  HI everyone, It's about time for an update. Since the last major post on July 31 I have been working on the Coupe & the Hardtop. The update on the hardtop will be a separate post as not to confuse anyone.. The coupe is coming along, We installed a new heater core and molded hoses, new door weatherstripping, The re-chromed letter "I" arrived from Paul's chrome plating so that was added to the B U C K on the hood.
    I'm having a major problem with the drivers door, It's just not closing properly. Steven & I spent a whole afternoon trying to get the door to close properly. So instead of getting aggravated I reached out to my car buddies for some technical & moral support. The guy's came over and we all came to an agreement that there is way too much vertical play in the door compared to the right door. The upper hinge pin that fell out (see July 31 post) may not have been the correct pin at all, plus when the door almost fell off it may have damaged the lower hinge too. I ordered a new upper & lower drivers door hinges and Jim from WI is sending a good used lock assembly, the hinges arrived Yesterday. When the rest of the parts arrive the door will come off for the 4th time. It will get new hardware and never come off again...
   While I was waiting for the parts my Son Steven & I started working in the installation of the instrument panel & radio bezel, modern stereo and gauges, It took us 3 afternoons to do all the wiring and check all the circuits. One more afternoon to install the sending units and tidy up the wires and we are done. Next is the plastic dash bezel & dash board, then its back to the drivers door.
   We have another 2 weeks of nice weather, I will try my best to get the door problem solved by then... The adventure continues.  

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »
Looks great!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2023, 09:04:18 PM »
Very nice. Great job on the IP restoration!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2023, 06:49:54 AM »
  Hi Chuck, Yes that would be great. I know that it is a bit early, but I'm thinking of attending the Buick National Meet in Ohio next July. I'm not going to have this GS sit in the garage after I spent all this time working on it. If we can get some of our registry members Gran Sports together at this meet it would be awesome...

Tony

A meeting can be arranged. I have been contacted by the BCA person in charge and need to reply regarding a room for meeting. I will post something in regards to this.

Reply to this link: https://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,5484.msg41605/topicseen.html#msg41605

Loren
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:06:17 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (The completion)
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2024, 07:49:02 PM »
Hi everyone, Here in NYC it's still very cold, but the warm weather should be here very soon and I'm all ready to get started on the Red coupe. The very good used rims have been cleaned, polished and painted the correct grey. Five New 15inch Cooper Cobra radials 215/70R15 front. 255/60R15 rear and a 215/70R15 for the spare are all ready to be mounted & balanced. Last week I received 4 new wheel centers with locks from BCA member Mitch Romanowski. Once the wheels are mounted on the GS I can Install the restored steering wheel . Then it goes to the shop for a wheel alignment & NYS inspection sticker. Once it's roadworthy I can bring it in for a new headliner. The BCA National Meet is in July, but I may not have enough time to correct the damaged to the paint that the body shop caused !  Touching-up the paint is not something I would want to rush in to anyway. I will update as work progresses.

Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2024, 09:48:34 PM »
Good progress, Tony. Lots to do!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2024, 12:05:47 AM »
Hey Tony,

Your car is looking great, you give me inspiration to keep going with mine.

I've been waiting 2.5 years for a back order on center caps for my wheels, I pester the manufacturer each month and each month they tell me next month. From my position it's great to see a set of center caps!

keep up the good work.

Marcus

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2024, 06:32:23 AM »
Your car is coming together nicely!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2024, 08:58:22 AM »
Nice to see the hard work coming together. Car is looking good.Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Getting it all together)
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2024, 10:31:50 PM »
  Hi everyone, been busy with the 3 GS circus. The code Z is back from the shop and running great, I will give the details on the code Z restoration post. The White convertible GS is returning home from the shop tomorrow. And I'm knee deep in the Red coupe. We are in the middle of April and I have been solving problems as I go along, starting with the trunk weatherstrip being too short !!(see photo) First time I ran across this problem. So I went to the code z parts box and pulled a new Softseal weatherstrip and made the correction. That was easy ! Next I installed the tail light harness, not a problem tail lights & license plate light working except the back up lights are not working ? Add that to the electrical to do list. 5 New tires and center caps on Four 15" rims mounted on GS. Next I cleaned and painted the rocker panel moldings, they will mounted at a later date. Next I removed the the original cracked steering wheel and attempted to mount the restored Red steering wheel (2018) but the horn bar does not fit so I tried to shave it down with my Dremel tool, but after 3 1/2 hours of grinding and test fitting the bar is still not fitting in properly and the mounting screws are not reaching the bar.(see photo) I will try again tomorrow afternoon. If not, I cannot waste any more time. I must think of a plan "B" and deal with another electrical problem I found, When the GS is running the tail lights are on and the light switch is in the off position. Add that to the list... Oh and all the lights are flickering so I tested the voltage and It goes back and forth between 14 & 15 . That should be the Regulator OR Alternator.. Add that to my list ...
I need a longer sheet of paper  :help:   The fun continues...

Tony :thumbsup:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2024, 11:07:43 PM »
Nice progress! Sorry about the horn bar not fitting, I think you can send it back for fitting.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2024, 06:20:02 AM »
Looking great Tony. Nice job with all of those little 'projects'. Hopefully you'll find a fit on the steering wheel and horn bar soon. Is that a Frank McIntire reproduction?

Keep the faith, it's coming along well!

:cheers2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2024, 12:10:15 PM »
Looks very good...nice when the weather kicks back in to decent. Voltage is fine 14-15 is normal. Chances are that you have no issues with tail light wiring because there is no voltage available in harness unless there is a short. The voltage you are seeing is probably brake lights....If you unplug steering column connector and it goes away your brake light switch may just need adjustment. It is easier to unplug brake switch first or just pull up on pedal and see if it works. If it really is a brown wire problem there is definitely an issue but I doubt it. Dan

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Final assembly)
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2024, 09:48:22 PM »
    Hi Chuck, Jim & Dan. The wheel is from Koch in CA. I worked another 2 hours on it today and I was able to get the horn bar to fit in, but it took a lot of material removal to get to that point. The wheel will need to be painted again . But that is the easy part. I will take the wheel over to the Auto paint supply tomorrow and have the color matched and I will spray it with my mini touch-up gun.
    The tail light problem was solved by removing the faulty brake light switch, a new switch should be in Friday. The back-up light problem was just a poor ground to the light that I had changed the socket on, plus I ran an extra ground wire from the bumper to the chassis just for an extra good ground to avoid any problems in the future.
     The new problem is the right rear turn signals are not working. I will look at that problem tomorrow.....

Tony