Author Topic: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Painting)  (Read 6943 times)

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Painting)
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2023, 10:06:23 PM »
Yep! The adjustments are a killer! Convertibles are the most challenging! And then add power windows! Ugh!
I have been thinking about putting the one piece window glass in my post car for a custom look and eliminating the vent window!?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 10:11:24 PM by gssizzler »

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Doors)
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2023, 09:55:12 PM »
   Today marks a turning point. I, with some help from my Sons completed installing the door and the rear side windows in the GS. It was a challenge working in the 88 degree heat in the garage this afternoon, but we did it.  Saturday I will finish installing the door panel water shields, then start on the panels and the hardware.
   Tomorrow I'm taking the Silver GS out and taking a trip eastward and stopping in to see the Glass installer that never called me back 3 weeks ago. And see if he will commit to a date to install the windshield and back glass. If not I have several other companies to follow up on. 
   Also this past week I found more damage/missing parts caused by the body shop ! The door lock rod that that the button operates were missing on each door. And today I tried to adjust the door lock striker on the right door and the 5/16 hex key hole is totally stripped. Luckily I had extra lock rods, now I need to find door strikers too ! More time wasted because of careless damage... All in a days work. :sunny:
   A few photos from today..  :icon_biggrin:

Tony 
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2023, 06:36:30 AM »
Window adjustments = Tedium and Perseverance.  You've done well. Enjoy the rest of the journey!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2023, 12:29:57 PM »
Thanks Tony for the update!

Sorry you had to sweat it out in such heat, but the results were worth it!

Edouard

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration (Windows)
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2023, 08:34:43 PM »
  Update on yesterdays post, I went out this afternoon to meet the owner of the Glass shop. He apologized for not calling me back and I could see that the shop was very busy. He invited me into the shop to see the operation, I was impressed to see a neat clean organized shop. He explained that his Father started the business over 50 years ago and the Father works on all the vintage & classic cars. He will be installing the glass on my GS. Since my GS is not roadworthy yet. I'm going to get the GS there and back by flatbed transport to avoid any problems. We set a date of July 17th and the work should take 2 days.

Slow and steady..  :thumbsup:

Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2023, 07:46:49 PM »
   Update on the on the windshield & rear glass. Monday July 24th approx. 12 noon the Red GS was finally on it's way to the glass shop. A week late but the weather here in NYC /Long Island has been so HOT the last two weeks Everything & Everybody has slowed down. Tuesday evening I received a call from Frank the transporter that he will be returning the GS on Wednesday morning, If I could meet him at the shop to approve the work and pay the bill. So 8:30 on Wednesday I was at the glass shop, I approved the work because it was fantastic ! All the polished stainless fit great and it was so nice to see the glass back in the GS after many years of being just a shell. The transporter  Frank was to bring the GS home and put it in my driveway since I had other business' to attend to and would be home later in the day. 
    50 minutes later I received a call from Frank and he said he was at my home, and when he went to get into the GS so he could drive into my driveway the drivers door almost "fell off" and he heard the pin hit the floor! "The top pin fell out" He then closed the door and entered from the passenger side and drove the GS into my driveway, locked the doors and left. I did not know what to make of it but I would deal with it when I returned home. It sat in my driveway for 5 days due to the excessive heat, but yesterday it cooled down to the low 80s. My son Steven & I went out to see how this could of happened. With a floor jack holding the door open I tried to put the pin back in, but it would not go in because it cannot go in with the hinge on the door ! SO it fell out because it was put in from the bottom by the idiots at the body shop when they put the doors back on after they painted them. So I decided to just take the door off for safety reasons until I can repair or replace the hinge.. Both Teflon bushings are damaged so I need to act now to get the assembly back on track. OPGI has the door hinge repair kit, or should I just purchase a new upper hinge ?  I also have a good used upper right side hinge that I could take apart for the bushings. Since I have never had this problem before any advice would be appreciated ...  :help:
  I checked the other hinges on the GS and they are ok .

Tony

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2023, 06:24:47 AM »
Sorry to hear about another disappointing setback, Tony. I rebuilt my hinges using a repair kit I bought from Ecklers. I'm sure OPGI, The Parts Place, etc. have similar kits. Make that hinge tight so the door doesn't sag.

Good luck and keep up the good work. And enjoy working together with your son!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2023, 07:59:12 AM »
You may be able to find the hinge bushings locally, Dorman's 'Help' brand is in many parts stores.
Do a search on the Dorman site for the proper pn.
https://www.dormanproducts.com

IIRC, the pins have a serrated shank at one end, under the head. They should only fit the hinge in one direction (head up)....unless the shop swapped left/right sides.  Hope they didn't install them wrong, r&r- ing doors isn't fun!

I'm just a bit west of you in Pa. Last weeks heat wave wasn't fun! This weeks cooldown is very welcome!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Replacement hinge also a possibility. (Re: 65 GS Post Coupe Restoration)
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2023, 12:26:23 PM »
Dear Tony, Chuck, Walt, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

So sorry Tony that you had this snafu hit you, but I'm glad at least the glass installation went well.

It sounds like you should be able to repair the hinge relatively easily.  However, just so that you are aware of the alternative.  I purchased the upper door hinge for my trusty wagon back 2010 from OPGI.  The stops had broken on the driver's side door decades earlier and that meant the door could come slamming on someone's fingers.  Biquette is a 4-door wagon, but I would hope the fit would be the same for a two door from OPGI.

FYI . . . . . . . Edouard

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2023, 07:08:46 PM »
The bad part your always at the mercy of what you didn't, can't do yourself  Hopefully  that's the worst of it .paints still good?.jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2023, 09:26:21 PM »
    Thanks Chuck, Walt, Edouard, Jim. I could not work on either car this morning I had to catch up on work around the house, the to-do list was getting long and the weather cooled down enough (low 80s) so I did not worry how the heat and the BP meds would react. I was done at 2:15, I came in to wash up and I checked the website to see If anyone responded to last nights post. Thankfully you responded, Walt posted the Dorman website so I gave it a try. It came up with Part # 38375 for 2 bushings . General Motors Years 1960-1995, I printed out the Info and went to my parts supplier (called Parts Authority here in NYC) and they will have several sets sent in from there warehouse by 12 noon tomorrow. I will work on the hinge in the afternoon.
     I will be attending the Macungie PA Car Show & Swap Meet August 4th to August 6th returning on the 7th. So if all goes well tomorrow, I will just wait until next Monday or Tuesday to hang the door.

Yes Jim, when Frank opened the door it swung down and scratched the edge of the fender and did some damage to the paint. Touching up the damaged areas will be the last job because I want to wait for the cooler dryer air that comes in October. I already purchased a quart of the Flame Red paint & clearcoat, so when assembly is done I'm ready to prep and paint.

Hey Walt ! If you are going to the Macungie Show and want to meet up send me a PM and I will give you my cell #

Thanks again,  :thumbsup: Tony

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2023, 06:36:59 PM »
  Update on the left upper door hinge I picked up Dorman Door Hinge Bushings Part # 38375 this afternoon, when I tried to push it in the hinge it was a tight fit. I took out my Arbor press and a steel block  (see photo) and pushed in the top bushing , then turned it around and pushed the bottom one in. Then I tried the pin ! It fit perfectly  :icon_biggrin:  Later on my Son Steven came home and asked about the bushings, I told him it was done and he said "I have time now, lets get the door on ". So together we hung the door and made some final adjustments... Done.   Next week I will soap up the engine compartment and try to pressure wash all of that white compound and overspray off and see what I'm left with ?   The Adventure Continues....

Thanks for the support.  :icon_thumright: Tony

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2023, 07:57:42 PM »
Looks great Tony and kudos to you and Walt for finding an inexpensive fix to the hinge problem. Best wishes for smooth sailing from here!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2023, 08:11:26 PM »
I tried to put the pin back in, but it would not go in because it cannot go in with the hinge on the door ! SO it fell out because it was put in from the bottom by the idiots at the body shop when they put the doors back on after they painted them.
         Tony

This has been bugging me for the past few days since I kinda recalled one of my hinge pins also going in from the bottom. I just checked the silver hardtop I'm putting together, and sure enough the passenger door has the pin going up. I'm pretty sure I put it together the same way it came apart. Maybe the factory built both hinges the same way , resulting in one side having the pin going up and the other side down after they're installed. Or maybe I messed up? I'll have to check the hinges on my vert to see how they are.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2023, 09:56:55 PM »
     Yes, it was an inexpensive repair. My total cost with tax was $3.72 for the package of 2 bushings. I'm going to order 4 more sets to keep them in stock.

Tony