Author Topic: bumper parking light hole swap  (Read 1548 times)

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
bumper parking light hole swap
« on: June 24, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »
Hi all,

I have a recommendation from North Star Plating to swap the parking light holes from my original GS front bumper to a core from a 65 Special. Long story short, sent my bumper to have bumper straightened and a large crack repaired plus rechrome, it had been bent with the crack since I've owned it and I was finally getting it fixed. 5 months later I got my bumper back but in the wrong shape, too narrow at wings to fit and a misaligned bracket, as well as cracks in the chrome along inner edge of corners. Patrick at NS wants to make good but recommends the hole swap vs. continuing repairs on my bumper as it would be it's third time through re-chroming and it would be getting pretty thin, and a proper GS core is as common as a unicorn. He swears by his fabricator and all I've read from posts on this forum attest to the quality of their work, but my initial experience leaves me less confident. Any thoughts, recommendations or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: bumper parking light hole swap
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »
Are 1965 Skylark front bumpers any different than 1965 Skylark GS bumpers? I thought they were identical.

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 02:37:54 PM »
Skylark bumpers are the same, I believe, but they have a Special which has smaller rounded lights.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
Hi all. I'm a little confused after reading the first post. But for what I think I understand someone wants to graft marker light holes from one bumper to another.. I have never heard of that before, but I guess anything is possible. I'm sure If you would post a 65 Special/Skylark front bumper wanted on this site or at the Buick Bugle you would get what you need without cutting & welding. 65 Special/Skylark parts are not as plentiful as years past, but the parts and parts cars are out there it just takes more searching to find them.
                                       Tony  :icon_thumright:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 06:41:03 PM »
The views below are of a 65 Special and a 65 Skylark front bumper.

If you look closely, the bumper angles for the Skylark are quite different than the Special to handle the larger parking light openings. One would almost have to remove the entire pocket, or maybe even side, on each side, to make this work. I don't understand how it would be possible.

The last picture is of a 65 Buick Sportwagon in a salvage yard not too far from me. I'm not sure which bumper this Sportwagon has, but I think it is a Special bumper. If it is, it has the parking/turn signal lights that would go with the one North Star Plating has. Maybe get this parking/turn signal lights and have the North Star Plating Special bumper rechromed, and live with that until a good 65 Skylark bumper surfaces for sale? That might be a good way to get by for a little while.

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
Never mind regarding the parking/turn signal lamp assemblies on this salvage car. Upon inspecting closer, the driver side is broken. The passenger side in intact, but looks like rust on the lens, so probably not much left behind it anymore. Sorry.

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 11:57:48 PM »
Thanks. So the situation is that North Star messed up straightening my bumper during the repair process, or UPS damaged it, or both, so they're trying to find a fix and they just so happen to already have a Special core in good condition. They claim they are the same excepting the light holes, but I wanted to double check that. I gather from 65GSConv that the pocket on the Special is a different shape than on the Skylark? It was hard to tell from the pics. I've searched for bumpers over the last few years and have had little luck which is why I went the repair route. Perhaps the search must continue.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 03:52:49 AM »
Hi,

Special bumper is different as stated and believe, but not positive it was used on wagons. Its narrower than the Skylark and doesn't have the die cast trim.

Skylark and Gran Sport used the same bumper.

Suggest posting a parts wanted here and on V8buick.

I found my last nice core on V8buick about a year ago, only issue was beginning to split on the nose, which is common on both versions.

Good luck with repairs or search.

Regards,

Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 05:29:21 AM »
I just saw a bumper for sale at Chicago Muscle Car https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.com/collections/1965-skylark-gs-special-ymm-cat-body/products/687638
The text says it needs replating, but it is for a Skylark/GS, not Special.
Sean

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 05:59:53 AM »
Good find, Seanrobison65. I would suggest contacting Chicago Muscle Car and see if they can provide you pictures of that bumper. If it looks excellent, other than chrome pitting, that would be a great way to go. I'm hoping North Star Plating will work with you on cost with all this, if they messed up your original one.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
I might have access to a good core or two.  Where are you located?

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »
Great info, thanks. I?m in CA. Shipping is $$$ but North Star has Corp rates. I?ll check on that Chicago core.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 10:00:55 PM »
I understand the grafting idea,and even considered it myself after dealing with a couple overpriced cores. I have to say do not do it...the lights fit way too tight and there is no room for error. If Chuck or anyone has a straight bumper,I would go that route. I have been fighting with at least four front bumpers,two plating sources,and it gets old. Avoid Rangel Bumpers at all cost unless they can just sell you a core. There chrome literally falls off in shipping and nobody cares. North Star did my rear and it is flawless,and they have one of my fronts as we speak....I hope to have it back soon. I found out the hard way on chrome as to cost vs. quality.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
I got my 66 front bumper back from North Star and it is stunning!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 08:37:09 PM »
You can also try contacting Desert Valley Auto parts in AZ and see what they have in stock. I have used them many times and have not been disappointed on what they have sent to me. Plus there are other automotive graveyards that are listed in Hemmings Motor News and Old Cars weekly.

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317