Author Topic: bumper parking light hole swap  (Read 1566 times)

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: bumper parking light hole swap
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »
Have you found a good core front bumper for a 65 Skylark yet? If not, here is one on eBay. It may be too nice/costly for what you seek.

- https://www.ebay.com/itm/133013041709

Offline 197064buickspec

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 01:12:35 PM »
The ebay one is Biker Fox.....Billions and Trillions ....do research on reviews.

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »
The ebay one is Biker Fox.....Billions and Trillions ....do research on reviews.
Sorry, but I don't understand the response. Are you saying the seller is a scammer? Or the seller's pricing is inflated well above current norms? I didn't research, just came across this and remembers a person looking for it. Sorry if I made a mistake or misunderstood. Apologize if I did.

Offline 197064buickspec

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
All I'm saying is for the potential buyer to be  aware and research the seller/  business..There are plenty of reviews on businesses within a couple clicks of a finger. Here is one example. Know who you're buying from.

https://billions-and-trillions.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
I dealt with him........once....lol.

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »
Elvin, it looks like the seller of what I came across has done some business with members of this forum in the past, and there are warning flag out. This forum has a truly great membership who participate to help others and share their experiences. I certainly trust the membership of this forum. I'm a newbie to this membership with little recent experience. Sounds like those with good cores that can be rechromed would be a better option for your needs.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »
Have you found a good core front bumper for a 65 Skylark yet? If not, here is one on eBay. It may be too nice/costly for what you seek.

- https://www.ebay.com/itm/133013041709

WOW! $1850.00 plus $200.00 shipping.......$2050.00 for a front bumper!   I should just sell my car one piece at a time.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 10:40:53 AM »
    A lot of guys saw dollars signs on Barrett Jackson cars when the whole restoration and low mile originals were originally being offered For Sale years ago. Most of the cars were either meticulously restored or never damaged or rusted before the large auction companies would accept them for consignment. in other words,if you were looking for a nice car,it was an excellent place to shop. Now we are seeing an ANYTHiNG goes to auction or antique part....and very few actually even know or take pride in what they are representing. I had a bumper rechromed from a major source and it literally peeled in shipping. I ended up refunding a guy $1000 for something that I should have known better just from others reviews. I have also come to the conclusion that a lot of cars are show cars and a lot are drivers....so would I need a $1500 bumper on a car that would likely be covered with bugs?     If no one has a good core and you are not in a Hurry,I am waiting for a front right now that I sent out a year ago. I also have a driver quality special bumper that has good original chrome.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 01:54:41 PM »
Yes, that one seller is pretty ridiculous, approach with extreme caution.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Much appreciation for the input from everybody. Since NorthStar basically ruined my original and another core has so far proved as elusive as an open bar, I went ahead with the marker light swap. If it's a fail, at least I can have a bumper so I can drive my car that's been in the garage for 6+ months while I search on. The initial pics they've sent of the progress are promising, so it's fingers crossed. Plating is finishing right now so I should see it again in a week or so once it travels home. I'll post progress pics and finished product once I have it back.
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
So, bumper came back. The marker light hole swap actually worked and from the front is invisible. Unfortunately, as Jim alluded to it is too narrow to fit past the fender lead edges. I either have to try to move the fenders in or have the bumper stretched which is sure to crack the chrome. Looking at just the chrome, the work is good but there are small sliver cracks in places, either side at the rear of top center ridge, center of lower edge of upper bar, inside edges of bumper pad cutouts. The cracks are visible and certainly catch a fingernail. While the copper underneath is likely still intact I wonder about corrosion. There is also excess material at the points that the electrodes connected, as well as a hole that looks like a burn through next to one of them. For guaranteed "show chrome" it's not what I had hoped for. To their credit, North Star has been good to work with but this is the second go and my patience for a third is thin, but options are few. Any thoughts on stretching the bumper at the wings to get it to fit? It'd have to get chromed again but I would hope they could get it right on the redux. Thanks for reading.

Elvin
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 09:35:07 PM »
Use a porta-power to spread ends until the gap is centered over your fender lines. Have someone help you go just a tad at a time with a trial fit between spreading. It won?t take much to get it to fit,and then box it up and send it back. I had to do it once on the rear,and still working on front. They chrome a lot of bumpers and are used to issues. You?ll be a lot happier making it fit first and then letting them repair the chrome.

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »
Just got the franken-bumper back for the second time and I should have listened to schlep, it still doesn't fit. I even gave Northstar the spacing it had to clear, confirmed they understood, sent a diagram with dimensions and still no luck. It needs at least another 1/4" on either side at the top edge. I'm leaning toward using a porta power as previously suggested to push it that last small amount, bracing one end against the mount bracket inner corner and the other in the upper corner of the wing, placing a small wood block between piston and bumper to prevent dimples. I'm guessing that even with the small adjustment the chrome at the bumper pad cutout will crack, then back it goes to chrome round #3. If not, maybe I'll finally have a front bumper back on the car!
65 GS Convertible Auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »
If there are any body shops close to you,it may be possible to get your hands on a bumper straightening tool.  It is just a long bar with a rubber foot on one end and hooks to chain adjust the hooking end on an edge of the bumper. You would have the bumper bolted tightly on the car adjusted as good as possible,then hook the wing and slowly work it til gap is good then repeat other end. May even get lucky and not have chrome issues. Good luck

Offline bbbbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 12:25:17 AM »
After massaging the wings I got the bumper on the car but it's not the proper shape. North Star swore up and down it was a straight bumper but it's bowed in front, so much it leaves a 2"+ gap between the bumper and grill, this also explains it being too narrow. Trying to push is back would split the the top seam for sure. Not good. Too bad because the chrome was perfect this time. I just saw a couple replies on V8buick from mid summer re: cores. Hoping one of them is still around. What a saga this has become.
65 GS Convertible Auto