Author Topic: Glove Box Door Arm Guide  (Read 764 times)

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
Glove Box Door Arm Guide
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »
Does anybody know of a source for this little chingalinga right here? I looked at all the usual vendors for repro parts, but no luck.

This car spent the last 13 years cooking in a Central Texas cow pasture, and pretty much everything not made of metal is toast!
Sean

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
Re: Glove Box Door Arm Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
I have a 1964 Skylark and I ordered the glove box door rubber stuff from "CaddyDaddy"

caddydaddy.com

Door grommet
70-1704-88

door bumpers
33-0128-88RS

Check bumper
70-1459-88

The items show the measurements on the details page.

There is a minimum order of $25.

I also received an email questioning my application since it the parts were listed for different year Cadillacs, and I explained they were for a Buick Skylark and I understood I was rolling the dice.

It was a tight fit, (top to bottom) and I had just repainted my dash, so I did not want to hit the hole with the flat file, but it was maybe .050 off.

Enough that the grommet had a bit deformed along one long side.
I used a little "Shoe Goo" and it looks like factory.

It has been a couple of years, and still looks fine.

:)
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:44:55 PM »
Thats GREAT Mike! A lotta early guys are looking for that; another unobtanium piece! Did you soak it in hot water before the install? Its hard to believe that GM would have needed a supplier to manufacture an otherwise "insignificant" part in various sizes. By insignificant, you realize thats one of those parts we didnt give a hoot about 40 years ago and now cant be found right? Its good to see some division crossfitting on some of this stuff like the trunk seal weatherstripping debaucle going on across the hall and more...  Bill

Ill keep CaddyDaddy.com as a fave!
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:46:16 PM »
No need to soak it. It is pretty pliable/pliant (sqooshy?)

I noticed it is a wee bit longer. Since I just painted the dash with a single stage metallic, and did not want to mix a batch just for touchup, I decided not to us a file to make the slot a little longer, and put it in and used a little "Shoe Goo" to glue it on.

Otherwise it wants to "pooch out" a little. (Being a perfectionist and all nitpicky, it bothered me, even setting in the garage, lights out, glove box door closed, convertible top up, windows rolled up, and I lay in bed, tossing and turning for three hours, and finally got up, went out and glued that sucker in right and proper.)

(over)slept like a baby...

Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:55:50 AM »
It is pretty pliable/pliant (sqooshy?)

Its supple ! Always liked that word LOL. After the shoe goo, did you insert a device to hold it until it cured; i.e. short screwdriver/wedgie thingy? Ya know them nocturnal judges come by at 3 a.m. with an eye loupe and an LED flash light to gauge the quality. haha... I know how it is pal. In about 2 hours I'm landing on Omaha Beach, and once ashore, theres no turning back.
:overthetop:

Ive been going over the landing scenario in my head for the last 3 weeks. I hope we struggle through to the ultimate victory.  :boxing:   Bill

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
No, "supple" is what used to get me to stop wrenchin' on my car and come into the house...

I did put a piece of cardboard cut to fit and folded in half to hold it.

Can't wait to see the pics and read the AAR.
Michael

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »
I can definitely relate about the obsessive stuff, Mike. OCD might not be real healthy, but it sure makes projects turn out nice!

Thanks for the referral & part number! They are $15.14 and I'm gonna get one for each of the two cars, so I'll squeak by their minimum order amount.

Bill, would you like for me to order an extra for you so you don't have to deal with the $25 minimum? I can mail it to you then let you know what the shipping cost was.
Sean

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
LOL
It has served me well, in life.

Very kind of you to offer that to Bill, Sean. :)
Michael

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »
^^^ What he said! Thanks Sean, mine is actually perfect since the car was stored inside since 1980. Ill probably kick myself later LOL. What the heck; can you see what the padded envelope will cost? Thanks,  Bill

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 04:30:16 PM »
You're very welcome! I actually have some small padded envelopes that I use for my eBay side business. I'd be surprised if shipping was even a dollar, considering how light that part is. If you want, I'll just get it in the mail then PM you the final cost. I'm ok with covering the 15 bucks until the parts come in, & you can PayPal me for the part & shipping after I send it to ya.
Sean

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 06:07:00 PM »
Michael or others....

Any experience and advice on how to successfully rescue an original glovebox grommet from a dash panel?  Is it hard plastic and prone to breakage in the process of taking it out?  I've got a couple to rescue and would like to promote success!!

Thanks!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
Thats great Sean! Thanks. Let me know when its in and Ill shoot you the PP and my address.  Although mine is really good, I do plan on painting the dash and inside steel stuff and Im sure that will destroy the old one...   Bill

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 09:18:06 PM »
You?re welcome! I?ll let you know when I get it.
Sean

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »
I am batting 50% on removing and re-installing these. I removed the one from my 66 to paint the dash an it bit the dust, I was careful and removed one from a 67 parts car and was able to re-install it in the 66. Thanks For the part numbers, I still need one for a 67. I was able to look up the two 70 part# but not the 33 one.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
We had discussed this way back in 2016 on V8:
http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/glovebox-door-check-grommet.309015/#post-2568147

We determined 1966 and 1970 both used the pn 4440369 grommet.
Replacements which looked close were the 1950-53 Cadillac #4573883 from 'Rubber the Right Way':
https://www.rubbertherightway.com/1950-cadillac-restoration-parts-glove-41471-prd1.htm

and the equivalent #70-1704-88 from Steele:
https://www.steelerubber.com/glovebox-door-check-grommet-70-1704-88

Good to se Michael was the guinnia pig that went ahead and did the testing for us!

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal