Author Topic: Glove Box Door Arm Guide  (Read 761 times)

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
Re: Glove Box Door Arm Guide
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
Any experience and advice on how to successfully rescue an original glovebox grommet from a dash panel?  Is it hard plastic and prone to breakage in the process of taking it out?  I've got a couple to rescue and would like to promote success!!

They are rubber, but as most things rubber not disintegrated by sunlight, are affected by heat and time.

They loose the plasticizers and natural oils over time and become hard and brittle as well as shrink.

I have been lucky with heat, but no more than about 140-160 F. Or dip an old wash cloth in boiling water, then lay that on the rubber, and it may help it become pliable. Then I use a heat gun to keep it hot for a couple of minutes.
I also used silicone grease/dielectric grease on the part and work it under the areas, coupled with the heat and have been lucky.

I also do the reverse to get a part in. (apply silicone) I have a Keurig coffee maker, run about 6 oz of water into a cup, plop the part in and wait about 2 minutes, then fish it out and put it in the hole. The silicone helps it slip around rather than "gripping".

It also works for the small round "bumpers" with the small rubber "pull through" tails, and helps keep from pulling them off.

And slow steady pressure is best.

Clean up of the grease can be done with a little Dawn and water, isopropyl alcohol (not denatured) or Windex, depending on the finish it is on.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »
Thanks Michael.  I tried my hand at it today and managed to destroy the two that I had.  Looks like I'll be ordering a new one also... :BangHead:

Oh well, my wallet's been open for a long time!   :laughing7:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 06:36:34 PM »
Appears to also be available from Fusick.  Different part number but same 1950-1953 Cadillac application.  And only $5.50.  Think I'm going to order a couple and try them out!

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GB560

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline seanrobison65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
I've used silicone to soften the rubber when rebuilding turn signal sockets, but I never tried it to help install console/license plate/whatever bumpers. Thanks for the pointer, Michael!
Sean

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Ok, don't laugh.
KY Jelly or liquid works really well.  It's water based, cleans up easily with a damp rag and won't leave the silicone residue that can cause problems with paint.

I got the tip from my urologist. You can laugh now.     
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
Ok, don't laugh.
KY Jelly or liquid works really well.  It's water based, cleans up easily with a damp rag and won't leave the silicone residue that can cause problems with paint.

I got the tip from my urologist. You can laugh now.     

That's funny!!  But a great tip, nonetheless!!

Thanks Kevin!

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »
Your urologist gave you the tip?
Sorry, could not help it.
Plus I beat Bill  aka... Yachtsmanbill  before he can chime in.. :hello2:
Jim
Chicago

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 06:55:09 AM »
SOUNDS good to me LOL... Nothing like a pleasure enhancer working on a mundane little job. Was it mint flavored????   Bill
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:07:10 AM by yachtsmanbill »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
Put a couple of new 'tools' in my shop this morning and went to work on a couple of projects.  The first was installing the glove box grommet.  I bought the grommet from Fusick: https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GB560

Only $5.50 plus $13.00 shipping, but I ordered some rear coil spring insulators as well, so got my money's worth.  The grommet is nicely made and very pliable.  Or should I say supple??  :laughing7:

I trimmed the front flange on the grommet to essentially match the profile of the rear side.  Then I turned it around so that the rear side was facing out.  I took the glove box door off and released the glove box liner for access to the back side of the rectangular hole in the dash.  I was going to use the KY jelly to lube it up before installation, but decided to do a little dry fitting to see how it would most easily install.  I'm being careful with how I word this...  :headbang:

The fit looked good and I decided to try installing it without the lubrication, so proceeded to do that and it worked like a charm.  Fits very nicely and no cleanup required. 

Pictures attached of the grommet before and after trimming, a comparison of the trimmed grommet to a broken original and the final results.

Bottom line, I highly recommend the Fusick part for its value and found the installation process to be a breeze.  FYI, YMMV....

Now on to installing vent window seals this afternoon.  More on that later in the vent window seal thread.

Stay safe and be well!!

:cheers2:

Chuck

PS:  The pictures will be in the right orientation when you open them...at least they are on my PC.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:59:12 AM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
Good information and nice job. Thanks for all the pictures.
Jim
Chicago

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 02:16:49 PM »
Ahh... The first picture is a real "before and after" LOL... My new grommet is in the parts cache...  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !