Author Topic: Update-repairing a hole in my valve cover  (Read 252 times)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Update-repairing a hole in my valve cover
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »
  Hi everyone, It took 9 months but i finally got around to repairing  that 225 valve cover with the holes in it. I completed mig welding a hole closed on my replacement trunk lid on my restoration project and was ready to put the welder away when i looked into my "to be welded box" and saw that valve cover, It was still early so I decided to try the advice that Walt posted. I cleaned both sides of the area to be welded, grabbed a few nails and pushed them thru the holes. Cleaned an area for the ground clamp then set my Lincoln to #4 and welded the head of the nail from the inside of the valve cover. It worked with no warping. Then I took my Dremel  with a carbide cutting disc and cut off the remaining nail sticking out from the top of the valve cover. 80 grit then 150 grit carbide paper took care of the rough edges. After a quick trip thru the media blaster it will be ready for some Buick green paint. I will be very honest, I was so into what I was doing I completely forgot to take photos...
   Thanks to Chuck, Tom, Eduardo and Walt for posting back on January 13th 2019
                                                                                                                            Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Glad it worked! (Re: Update-repairing a hole in my valve cover)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I'm glad that you were able to repair the valve cover!  :hello2: 

Bummer dude on no pictures though!

Could you at least post a photo of the successful repair?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Update-repairing a hole in my valve cover
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
  Yeah, sure I can take some photos tomorrow and post them in the evening. I did not get a chance to blast it yet so it will be in the raw.  Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »
    I did take a few photos of the valve covers yesterday, I sanded down the area with 80 grit, then 150. Can't really tell where the holes were. I'm going to scuff it up and give a coat of Buick green paint tomorrow. This job was a success. Thanks to all of you that responded to the text.  :thumbsup:

Tony

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
   I tried to post the photos but a message keeps coming up saying the photos are to large and I don't know how to fix it so after all of that work no photos, sorry computers are not my thing.   
                             Tony

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
Happy to hear your result is positive Tony.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Congrats Tony! (Re: Update-repairing a hole in my valve cover)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:55:45 PM »
Dear Tony, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I did take a few photos of the valve covers yesterday, I sanded down the area with 80 grit, then 150. Can't really tell where the holes were. I'm going to scuff it up and give a coat of Buick green paint tomorrow. This job was a success.

Glad to hear it!  :hello2:

I tried to post the photos but a message keeps coming up saying the photos are to large and I don't know how to fix it so after all of that work no photos, sorry computers are not my thing.   

Sorry that you ran into this same obstacle that many other folks on this board are struggling with.  Do you have a PC?  If so perhaps you could try this application that Chris posted many years ago:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,103.msg638.html#msg638

Thanks for the good news and trying to share pictures of your success with us!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: