Author Topic: Core support bushings  (Read 508 times)

Offline 65Lark

• Buick Fan
Core support bushings
« on: August 12, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »
What are people doing for new core support bushings on their 65?s?  I?ve got about three different new sets in front of me and nothing is even close.  Am I better off just reusing my old ones?  They?re not terrible but thought since I was in there I might as well change them if I could.  Body bushings are laying on the self waiting there turn to go on the car .  Was hoping to do all of them at one time.

Thanks Bill

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Core support bushings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
I am thinking 396 Ground -up has the best, lower priced regular frame mounts, I used them on my 66 GS. For the core support, do you have round or square rubber. I am thinking square is correct, but different plants may have used different ones. Restoration Specialties has the solid rubber frame mounts, and has some core support ones. The good thing about there catalog is that the clips pictures are size of the clip. I did order one rubber part for my core support bushings, and reused the other, and the metal parts, mine were round. Hope this helps.

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »
I cleaned all the rubber, blasted all the metal and had it clear zinc plated.  And they are back on the car.  Haven't driven it yet, but don't see a downside....

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline 65Lark

• Buick Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »
I am thinking 396 Ground -up has the best, lower priced regular frame mounts, I used them on my 66 GS. For the core support, do you have round or square rubber. I am thinking square is correct, but different plants may have used different ones. Restoration Specialties has the solid rubber frame mounts, and has some core support ones. The good thing about there catalog is that the clips pictures are size of the clip. I did order one rubber part for my core support bushings, and reused the other, and the metal parts, mine were round. Hope this helps.
[/quote

My car is a Fremont built car and has round bushings. I?ll check out 396

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:27:19 AM »
Bill and I discussed the body mounts and core support bushings over on V8Buick:
http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/my-66-gs-hardtop-body-mounts.290996/

I don't know if 1965 used the same bushings as 1966.
The #20012 from Restoration Specialties can be used for a 1966 core support if you enlarge the hole.
http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/body-mounts-solid-rubber/

CARS has various body mount bushings available as well.
http://www.oldbuickparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=body+mount&search_in_description=1&x=0&y=0

Can you measure or post pics of your 1965 bushings? That would help to locate a replacement.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:29:38 AM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »
Just for grins, I cant tell you if the "66s are the same as the '65s, but the '65's sure do match the '64s. Hmmm... When I was ptting the '64 back together that "Johnny" took apart, the CS bushings were MIA.  Loren was good enough to help me out with a set of used units that made a complicated looking job come together like a spring breeze.
   Just gonna toss a few pics of the 64-65 round bushings. Maybe these will help you sort things out... Bill

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:27 PM »
I know a lot of the time we just want a part so we can put it in and make it work...
But for all these oddball rubber parts that seem so hard to locate, can we make our own? I mean is there somewhere we can buy chunks of suitable rubber so that we can make it into what we need?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Rubber sources out there. (Re: Core support bushings)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 03:35:07 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I know a lot of the time we just want a part so we can put it in and make it work...
But for all these oddball rubber parts that seem so hard to locate, can we make our own? I mean is there somewhere we can buy chunks of suitable rubber so that we can make it into what we need?

I don't know about this case, but you can make some rubber parts from raw material that's available online.  One source is Rubber - Cal:

http://rubbercal.com/

I've bought some rubber sheets that I intended to cut into gaskets but never did get around to it.  You might use a technique similar to the way I made a gasket for the license plate light:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,1934.msg11152.html#msg11152

I really need to make some new gaskets for Biquette's taillights.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:35 AM »
Hey Ed.. Walt K. or TrunkMonkey suggested Lowes for some rubber anti-fatigue matting for making core support mounts for my new aluminum radiator. I ended up finding some used mounts, but had already purchased a different mat from Lowes. Heres the link. I ended up using it for a desk top cover for the shop desk. Its really soft high density foam rubber just like tail light gaskets.

This one shows a thickness of 1/2" but mine is more like < 1/4". Its what Im gonna use on the upcoming rear end job this winter. I like it because its very compressible. After a day of sitting with a desktop keyboard on it, there will actually be an impression left. After 1/2 hour, its gone; very spongy. I was doing a light solder job on it and a drop landed on it and penetrated 1/2 way through. Seems like a nice big piece of stock material to keep on hand. Just sayin'...   Bill

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mohawk-Home-Utility-Bay-Gray-Rectangular-Door-Mat-Common-2-ft-x-3-ft-Actual-36-in-x-24-in/1000314399
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
 Thanks Edouard for posting that company rubbercal.com. I need to make some gaskets for my Buick Special's taillight's and several license plate housings that I have. It's a good project for the cold snowy days of January.
                                                                           Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317