Author Topic: '65 Gran Sport body and radiator support mounts  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Dave

• Buick Fan
'65 Gran Sport body and radiator support mounts
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:53:11 PM »
 Does anybody know where I can purchase the correct body mounts for the '65 Gran Sport? It seems to have a variety of sizes along the chassis. Every place I've tried has the mounts for the Skylark. Does the Skylark convertible model have the same mounts as all Gran Sports since they both use the convertible's chassis?
'65 Skylark Gran Sport
'65 Riviera

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: '65 Gran Sport body and radiator support mounts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
As usual with our cars nobody makes a correct body mounting set that is labeled as Gran Sport. The Skylark convertible does use the GS boxed frame but I am uncertain if the hardtop and sedan use the same body mounting points as a convertible.
When doing my convertible Ames Performance body mount set S382A was used. They also sell body mount hardware kit S382BG.https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Search_Web?order_number_e=MzU5NTgxNA%3D%3D%0D%0A&method_1=&method_2=Y&search_method=2&cat_rowid=1&search_year=1965&search_keyword=body+mount&sort=0

Have fun.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Dave

• Buick Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »
 Thanks for the info, dsags. I see I'm not alone with this problem.
'65 Skylark Gran Sport
'65 Riviera

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »
Dave,

You are not alone. Welcome to the weird world of 65 GS...
I reused all the body mount hardware, and just replaced the rubber biscuits. I think I used a Year One kit or something similar.
I believe the core support bushings are unique. I reused the hardware for those as well and located usable rubber insulators from parts cars.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Dave

• Buick Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »
  Hi, Mark,
 The metal cores of these bushings are in great shape while the rubber is flattened and cracked.
 I thought when I started rebuilding this rust-free car I'd have more trouble finding the big items (exhaust and intake manifolds, rear axle, etc.) than rubber parts. I now have the big items, but the search for the correct rubber parts (bushings and mounts) goes on. If I do find the correct body mounts, I'll post that information here.
'65 Skylark Gran Sport
'65 Riviera

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
Dave,

Wouldn't hurt to check out Ames to see what they have for GTO convert. Another source might be Fusick Olds.
Keep us posted...

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
Where is Walt (WkillGS) when we need him ? LOL He had a post on V8Buick years back on this very subject. Can't seem to find it though. I will keep looking and maybe he will chime in tonight.

Here's a link to a post on V8Buick http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?262916-1966-GS-body-mounts&highlight=body+mount

Here's a link to another site http://www.oldcarstuff.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1450&sort=3a&page=1

And don't forget AMK. Believe they also have a bolt kit.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:11:43 PM by dsags »

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
Dave, look on V8 Buick, my thread under Chassis Restoration, My 66 GS body mounts. I bought 66/7 non Convert set from Ground up and the 4 plug rubbers from Restoration Specialties, and for radiator bought from them also, but I did not need a full set for the radiator and they need some mods. You will also need to mod some of the other, and will use the Ground UP on the four up front and mod two more for the ones under the door, Next 4 are the rubber plugs, the ones by the rear wheel I used some 68/72 ones I had, and used the Ground UP for the two rear. Walt helped me to find the correct numbers. I am not able to link the V8 thread. There is a lot of good info on the post thanks to all that helped me.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »
Here's the thread where Bill and I discussed the mounts for our 66's:
http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/my-66-gs-hardtop-body-mounts.290996/

The generic kits (Year One, CARS, Ground  UP, Ames, etc) will work fine, but some of the bushings  look different than the originals.
If you want the bushings to LOOK correct, you'll have to buy some individual ones from other vendors.

The '65 GS has different parts numbers than the '66. No idea what the differences are.....

Edit: link updated 6/25/2017
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:59:50 AM by WkillGS »
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 06:58:20 AM »
Thanks Walt. Wasn't as long ago as I thought.

Dan

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Walt, thanks for posting link. On my 66 the frame hole under the doors are slightly smaller. I plan to slightly reduce the Ground up bushing with a belt sander, as Walt did. My frame holes were nice not rusted out, except the 2 by the rear wheel house, and they were good except slight rust on the inner hole. The OEM mounts I took off were slightly larger that the other mounts and larger than the Ground UP set. I had some 68/72 repro, not sure what brand, but they were the same height and the same diameter as the ones I took out and just slightly larger diameter where they fit into the frame. I just slightly increased the frame hole diameter to clean up the rust and make the correct size for the 68/72 bushings. One other thing I did was clean all the frame holes with a die grinder to just remove the paint. I had the frame powder coated and have tried the bushings and all fit nice after coating.