Author Topic: Engine Harness clips/retainers  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Engine Harness clips/retainers
« on: May 23, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
For the past 17 years I've been running my engine harness from the connector across the firewall like it's supposed to be.
Then, it gets sketchy. I go down the passenger side of the engine, down the front, and then back to the starter. There's nothing holding it in place and nothing protecting it from heat except some tape and wire loom. It's basically draped.
It was so long ago that I took out the 300, I can't remember what was used to secure it?
The harness is not in good shape, old and insulation poor. I need to get this worked out - and for anyone curious or can't remember my situation - it's A SBC now.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
Didja consider an OEM Buick wire tray? Its clean and sanitary. Heres some pics including the original fireball V6 install if that helps.  I also wrapped my wires in that black slit accordion stuff.  Bill

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:00:46 PM by yachtsmanbill »
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
NOW I see your problem!! (Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
Dear Iain, Bill, and mid-60s Buick owners who prefer to get things "just right!"  :sunny:

For the past 17 years I've been running my engine harness from the connector across the firewall like it's supposed to be.
Then, it gets sketchy.

. . . . . .

it's A SBC now.

. . . . . Ah ha!!  Hold it right there!  NOW I see your problem!!  What you need is a Buick big-block! . . . . . . .

I'm sure Bill agrees! . . .  :hello2:

Once you have the big-block in, getting the wiring straightened out is just a matter of details . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:44:27 PM »
I can appreciate any G.M. motive apparatus, but NOTHING COMES ALIVE LIKE A 455...  Bill

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:50:42 PM »
Or a dual quad 401!  :icon_thumright:
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »
Pfffffffft.

Somehow I knew Edouard would make this thread about BBB.  :BangHead:

Thank for the pics Bill.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:14:58 PM »
A pleasure... maybe next time..   ws

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 09:47:26 AM »
Get some new or used flexible plastic conduit(the smaller stuff will be what you need)and get one of these do-hickeys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-CAMARO-350-305-V8-STARTER-WIRE-TUBE-SHIELD-SMALL-BLOCK-V8/293088706890?fits=Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item443d72c14a:g:5mEAAOSwdllc2t4Z

It bolts to a bellhousing bolt and holds everything away from the heat. Many an old car has burned up thanks to the original wiring or positive cable shorting to ground.

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »
Yeah schlep, just found those last night looking around. But is the routing straight down the back of the engine for those wires? And then the rest go over the valve cover?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Bill, Chuck, Iain, Dan, and mid-60s Buick electricians,

Somehow I knew Edouard would make this thread about BBB.  :BangHead:

:angel4:

Alright, alright, I can be more constructive after all.  I do have some pictures of Biquette's original 300 cid V-8 while she was getting repaired from the accident of November 2010.  Alas, I only have two pictures of the driver's side of the engine bay.  Here is one:

Here is the other:

On the passenger side, at least the wiring related to the lights is routed over the inner fender.  I don't see any other wiring in the pictures, but perhaps the rest of the 65GS.com crowd can offer some additional observations.

I hope that's a little help!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:53:56 PM by elagache »

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
Here are some pictures from my 65 Skylark parts car that had a 300 4V engine.  The engine had been removed before I bought it, but the wiring harnesses are still in place. 

Hope this helps......

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
A few more....

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 04:46:21 PM »
On the passenger side, at least the wiring related to the lights is routed over the inner fender.

So do tell... I didn't realize the GOAT was an Alpine Goat LOL...  :dontknow:   Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Darn land-lubbers!! . . . (Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers)
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
Dear Bill and 65GS.com mariners who are victims of "land lubbers,"

On the passenger side, at least the wiring related to the lights is routed over the inner fender.

So do tell... I didn't realize the GOAT was an Alpine Goat LOL...  :dontknow:   Bill

Grumble, grumble, grumble,. . . .

Have done a lot of sailing with my Dad as a younger man, I normally think in terms of port and starboard.  Of course those darn land lubbers don't understand.  So when I post I try to translate port and starboard to driver's side and passenger side.  Sometimes I do that too quickly!  Worse still, driver's side and passenger side really doesn't work.  In England and other places driver's and passenger's side are reversed.  So I repeat - darn land lubbers!! . . .  

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
So were you sailing in Europe?  The lateral buoy system here is Red Right Returning from seaward. In europe is green, or opposite. Sooo. You just LEFT PORT, the red navigation lights are on the left and just to make it simple,hiccup, PORT WINE is RED. Dont even get into Timid Virgins Make Dull Companions LOL...  bill