Author Topic: Engine Harness clips/retainers  (Read 2056 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Ruthy a "he" .!?!?!?! . . . . (Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers)
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Dear Iain, Loren, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Lol. Give a guy a break. He'll have a proper engine one day.  :headbang:

. . . .  But,. but, but . . . . I thought Ruthy was a she! . . .

Seriously, I know you were able to put a small block Chevy engine into Ruthy, but I have no idea how that effected the wiring harness.  All the Chevy components hook up to the Buick connectors without any adapting?

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 10:47:04 AM »
All the Chevy components hook up to the Buick connectors without any adapting?

Yes Edouard, I don't claim to know everything, but small block for small block. Everything was plug and play. And, before I even used the old generator (not alternator). A better wire was added when I upgraded to HEI. Everything else is the same.

:overthetop: The 'he' was myself... Maybe I should say 'us' ?  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:12:55 PM by Super65lark »

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 08:47:28 PM »
Finally got this harness installed. New positive battery cable, too.
Plug-n-play, no mods needed. Some wires were not used.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Those wires are for . . . . . (Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers)
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick electricians, . . . .

Finally got this harness installed. New positive battery cable, too.
Plug-n-play, no mods needed.

Glad to hear that Ruthy is feeling healthy once more!  I do hope you'll be posting some pictures soon!

Some wires were not used.

. . . . . Those extra wires are for hooking up the phasers or photon torpedo launchers.  It was a very unusual accessory in 1965, but they are extremely handy for disposing of obstacles in your way! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
So Im a little bit befuddled... Did the SBC come with a generator AND you used it? Or did you convert over to a Delcotron (internally regulated) alternator? I say Delcotron because it makes a one wire hook up sooo easy.   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Those wires are for . . . . . (Re: Engine Harness clips/retainers)
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »

. . . . . Those extra wires are for hooking up the phasers or photon torpedo launchers.  It was a very unusual accessory in 1965, but they are extremely handy for disposing of obstacles in your way! . . . .

You're a silly guy, Edouard.  :icon_tongue:

So Im a little bit befuddled... Did the SBC come with a generator AND you used it? Or did you convert over to a Delcotron (internally regulated) alternator? I say Delcotron because it makes a one wire hook up sooo easy.   Bill

Good question Bill! This actually confused me... The new harness came with the two prong plug, as used with alternators, so it plugged right in. I am running an alternator. Of course, it also uses the other red (hot?) wire as well.
Years ago, the generator finally burned out, and at that point a mechanic switched me over the alternator, and spliced the two prong plug in for me.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »
Im still confused... must be the someteimers LOL... I had a '62 impala with a 12V generator and my pals '63 had an alternator. That was the swap year for chevies. Now my '64 special came with a 37 amp 12V alternator (Its for sale BTW) with a firewall mounted regulator. I upgraded to the one wire system (as always!!) and now have a fool proof 100A 14.2 volt system.

Just an FYI... do your due diligence... with a genny putting out 20 amps downhill LOL, that HEI will suck up 12A, lights another 10-15A and a stereo, gosh be darned with an amp maybe another 10 amps. Heater fan is extra.   Bill

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »
It is an alternator. How many amps? No idea. Probably not many. You've got a point, and it might be why I've noticed the dome lights flicker a bit. Might be time to upgrade.