Author Topic: 65 Skylark Down Under Restoration  (Read 7419 times)

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
65 Skylark Down Under Restoration
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »
Hi Guys,
Unfortunately I dont have too many photos of my 65 Skylark from when I first got it home. I have a few photos I will put up as it was leaving the US, I'm keen to know if anyone here noticed it on ebay when it was sold around 2015. I bought the car off a bloke here in my home town who bought on ebay from San Francisco. It was last registered in California in 2015, I have the plates. I have stripped the car and started on the body work, the trunk was fairly bad but Im getting there. I have had the shell blasted and I hope to have the body split from the chassis in the next few months after I have finished in the trunk and floor. fairly well everything on this car needs work, its going to be a long term project.
Regards
Marcus

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 Skylark Down Under Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:24:24 PM »
Work in progress

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
Welcome Marcus. That certainly is a BIG project. Plenty of help and guidance to be found by the people on this forum. BTW that is one spooky cat in your first picture.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:33:54 PM »
factory typo?

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
Hey Dan,
That my dog, she gets in most photos
Marcus

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
My bad. Those spooky eyes.

If that’s not a ‘typo’ it is an amazing coincidence.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Online GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Good luck on the project. Keep us updated!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
Thanks for beginning the restoration thread.  And for the pictures.  Glad you've got it started.  Keep us posted and ask all the questions that you want!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Welcome! (Re: 65 Skylark Down Under Restoration)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »
Dear Marcus, Dan, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Since this is your first postings on 65GS.com, by all means welcome! 

I'm keen to know if anyone here noticed it on ebay when it was sold around 2015.

Hopefully one of the other fellows might be able to help you with that.  Having one 53-3/4 year old Buick is all I can handle these days!

I bought the car off a bloke here in my home town who bought on ebay from San Francisco. It was last registered in California in 2015, I have the plates.

Can you do anything with those original California license plates?  Hard to tell from your photo, but the front plate looks in decent shape for its age.

I have stripped the car and started on the body work, the trunk was fairly bad but Im getting there. I have had the shell blasted and I hope to have the body split from the chassis in the next few months after I have finished in the trunk and floor. fairly well everything on this car needs work, its going to be a long term project.

Cars this old usually need a lot of repairs since very few people take good care of 50+ year old cars throughout their lives.  How does the drive train look?

Thanks for joining our little community and please do keep us posted on your progress!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 05:05:40 AM »
Gidday Fellas,
Hope you guys have had a good weekend,
Dan no worries about my dog, she loves the car as much as I do.
That old Buick that found me sure provides some good quality shed time. I had no intention on buying a Buick just noticed it for sale, had a look and thought is was worth the time to rebuild plus the price was good and they are no too common here at all, it sure has grown on me. When I first bought it the guy before me had partially pulled it down and removed the engine wiring harness. There was no front end on it, I strapped a fuel can to the front chassis, a battery to the drivers dash area [no windscreen] hot wired the starter and fired it up. I did one lap of my backyard with the kids in it and shut it down, I have a video but not sure if it can be attached to this forum.  After the run I bolted it all together and worked out what was missing, all I found missing was a AC ball on the drivers side and the Hood latch. Have since bought a hood latch.
The plates are in fair condition. I like how the registration stickers are on them and last US rego was when the car was 50 years old. I'm not sure if the plates are any good to me here, they might be a talking piece. I can get AUS plates made in the same colour and letters, I'm years off registration though.
I'm classing the drive train as toast and planning on rebuilding the entire system. I know it has at best a blown head gasket, there was as much water in the sump as oil when I got it, I put fresh oil in it and ran with no water when I started it. It sounded to be OK, all cylinders fired and there were no horrible noises. I only ran it for a bout 2 minutes and shut it down. The engine and auto are packed away till I finish the sheet metal and paint.
Thanks for the support and warm welcomes, I look forward to being part of 65GS. Hope you enjoy the following photos.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Nice touch! (Re: 65 Skylark Down Under Restoration)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 06:26:02 PM »
Dear Marcus and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I'm way late but a quick reply.

The plates are in fair condition. I like how the registration stickers are on them and last US rego was when the car was 50 years old. I'm not sure if the plates are any good to me here, they might be a talking piece. I can get AUS plates made in the same colour and letters, I'm years off registration though.

I didn't know that Australia had black plates.  That's neat that you'll be able to keep the same look and feel of a California car from the 1960s.  My car lost her 1960s plates when she was stolen in 1986.  I finally got for her some "retro" vanity plates with her name a few year ago.  I'm glad to have her back with period correct plates.

Please to post those pictures when you have the chance!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 04:39:07 AM »
Hi Edouard, and other readers,
Yep I can get black background with yellow writing, main difference is it will have Queensland not California as the home state. $480 Aussie dollars.

Cheers Marcus

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 05:37:22 AM »
Photo taken after I put the front end back on, and a rusty old trunk.

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 05:56:38 AM »
Repairs to the radiator support and RHS inner guard.
I have to be a little crafty here as there is no such thing as a Donner car in AUS. I folded up the lower section on the support panel and welded it in, managed to cut a section out of a Holden {Aussie car} inner guard here and made it fit.
I have since folded up a new battery tray as well. Hope no die hard Buick fans don't mind me making parts rather than going original or reproduced, I have to be a little inventive given the distance between AUS and USA.
More photos to come, having a little trouble attaching.
Marcus

Offline Aussie Skylark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 06:05:31 AM »
Rear deck replaced and section under windscreen.
Unfortunately I didn't do this myself, after I had a look at the progress that was being done and took the photo the panel beater who was doing the work decided to weld along the factory seems that join the rear deck to the quarter panel. I decided to do my own body work after that.