Author Topic: How Citroën almost became a GM division! (Re: Hemmings Blog)  (Read 3894 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
A retro bit of urban planning - or is it? (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers with an interest in current automotive trends,

Hemmings has a story today on schemes of George S. Lawson in 1966.  He proposed a very ambitious bit of revisionist urban planning related to automobiles.  Here is the article:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/12/06/fords-1966-plan-for-city-congestion-little-cars-that-fit-in-huge-buses/

There were two keystones to this purported innovation in modern living: ultra-dense urban centers and tiny cars that were shared instead of owned.  Lawson's drawings look a prototype for today's "smart" cars.  His idea of shared cars definitely has become a revisited fashion in today's ride sharing.

If these ideas didn't gain traction in the 1960s should we believe their time has come?  The smart cars of today suffer from the same flaw as Lawson's original concept:  So where do you put groceries for more than one day?  How about a new floor lamp or Christmas tree?  How will people in this ultra-dense urban center get away from the city to go camping, or do some astronomy under dark skies, or scuba dive?

My trusty wagon was the SUV of the 1960s and urban planners haven't learned a thing from the customer zeal for the SUVs of today.  People desperately do need to get away from the pressures of modern life and they need vehicles can that can take them, their family, and the needed provisions and equipment into their nature they crave.  I'm sure urban planners take such car vacations as much as the rest of us.  Alas, they don't apparently take this heart when they go to work and propose their visions of a utopia for us humans.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: How Citroën almost became a GM division! (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
Howdy Ed and all the other nature buffs... Ol' Mies VanDer Rhoe said "Form follows function...: Right??  So the millenials go from their cubicle to Achmeds pantry while walking six blocks home with a 20.00 6 pack and some suedo meat for dinner. For a treat him and his wife leave their comfy 500 foot "apartment" at 2500.00 a month and hop on the elevator for a trip to the McDoogles on the 95th floor.
  From the heavenly view the both exclaim simultaneously "Look at all those people down there..." . I hope my ticket gets punched before I hafta live like that!  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
3 Interesting pieces from Hemmings (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

It may be the "holidaze," but the folks at Hemmings are posting what to me at least are some interesting articles.  Yesterday they had piece on camping gear that was specifically designed to attach to various vehicles:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/12/10/well-before-hashtag-vanlife-carmakers-encouraged-you-to-sleep-in-their-cars/

It is curious to me at least that this sort of scheme didn't become more popular.  Camping with generic equipment is more expensive than most folks realize.  So spending a bit more to incorporate your car into your camping environment should be more appealing than it apparently is.

This morning Don Homuth shares some of the photos he has taken of cars from the comfort of a passenger train:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/12/11/for-some-of-the-best-car-spotting-take-the-train/

I found this piece bringing back memories for me.

The last piece definitely was pulling at my heartstrings.  The title says it all: "The Drive Home is looking for wagons to join the cross-country road trip.:"

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/12/10/the-drive-home-is-looking-for-wagons-to-join-the-cross-country-road-trip/

Here is the link to the official announcement:

https://www.americasautomotivetrust.org/drivehome/

Alas, Biquette isn't ready for such a long trip yet.  Still I suppose I can daydream about joining such a trip with Biquette pulling a vintage Airstream travel trailer.

Remember, daydreams are always free. So enjoy!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 09:01:07 PM »
 Edouard, You do really need to get that Airstream trailer and hook it up to your wagon. Take some photos and enjoy the great outdoors. And remember you said "Daydreams are free'"  so if you can't really do it, photo shop it ! and lets see it.
 I remember I was in 3rd grade math sitting in the row next to the window looking out the window Day Dreaming when Sister Mary (A Nun) wacked me in the head with a yard stick and said "Anthony stop Day Dreaming" :nono:
          But Daydreams are good, and sometimes do come true... Just watch out for Sister Mary !!! :laughing7:

Tony :angel4:

65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Stay tuned to this station . . . . . (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick caregivers who perchance daydream

Edouard, You do really need to get that Airstream trailer and hook it up to your wagon. Take some photos and enjoy the great outdoors.

Well, . . . . I do have some leads . . .   Of course only a 1965 Airstream trailer would do.  And it would have to be restored to the same beauty as Biquette.  It would also need to be modernized like Biquette.  That leaves just two problems: where to I build the garage to store an vintage Airstream and . . . . .how do I pay for it all!! 

And remember you said "Daydreams are free'"  so if you can't really do it, photo shop it ! and lets see it.

Remember, stay tuned to this station!! . . . . . .

I remember I was in 3rd grade math sitting in the row next to the window looking out the window Day Dreaming when Sister Mary (A Nun) wacked me in the head with a yard stick and said "Anthony stop Day Dreaming" :nono:
          But Daydreams are good, and sometimes do come true... Just watch out for Sister Mary !!! :laughing7:

Your story reminded me of the Chuck Jones 1954 cartoon "From A to Z z z z".  Of course you can't find the cartoon in pristine condition on the web because of copyright issues, but here is a translated version:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7337vz

Hopefully that's enough to bring back the memories!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »
Hi Edouard, I saw the cartoon and yes that was definitely me in elementary school. My mind was always some where else  :tard:

Tony :angel4:
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
So ya' want **MORE** than an LS - huh? (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who are always in search of . . . . . . . MORE!!!!!

If the LS swap is getting way too conventional and boring for you, Hemmings found just the cure for that dull routine:

Your eyes do not deceive you, that's a V-16!!!  Here is the link to the Hemming's article:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2020/01/07/this-ls-based-v-16-is-real-and-its-spectacular/

The article includes a link to a YouTube video with this engine on the dynamometer.  As the article explains, this engine is designed for marine use and it comes in versions from a naturally-aspirated 900 horsepower to a twin-supercharged 2,000 hp.  However, they can build an engine for the road as a special request.  Here is the companies website:

https://www.xvipower.com/

Of course this is all a bit too Chevy for us diehard Buick types.  Perhaps we should nudge Mike Tomaszewski to make a V-16 version of the Buick big-block.  Of course if TA-Performance did this, we would be have a terrible, simply terrible time trying to fit that V-16 into our engine bays!!  :laughing7:

P.S. Hey Bill!  So do ya' want a bit more oomph for your boat?  I'll betcha a pair of these will do the trick!!  :laughing7:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:16:20 PM by elagache »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
America's love affair with cars circa 1966 (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 03:29:12 PM »
Dear 65GS.com faithful,

Way back on December 29th, Mike Austin of Hemmings wrote up this piece about an CBS show from 1966:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/12/29/good-sense-has-never-had-anything-to-do-with-love-americas-affair-with-cars/

I squirreled away the video and didn't have a chance to watch it until this week.  Here is the direct YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8sZ8tAkoNk

It turns out to be a really lively romp over the car scene back in 1966.  It is narrated by then CBS reporter Harry Reasoner with writing by none other than a young Andy Rooney.  It is a very enjoyable 50+ minutes!  The only downside is the length.  It was intended to be watched on TV and this is definitely another nudge to find a way to move Internet videos to your family TV set.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:31:15 PM by elagache »

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2020, 05:43:14 PM »
P.S. Hey Bill!  So do ya' want a bit more oomph for your boat?  I'll betcha a pair of these will do the trick!!  :laughing7:

It could happen but a V 12 would be about the limit. Front drive belts would be right up against the bulkhead!   Bill

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Clive Cussler - shipwreck and car nut! (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2020, 03:22:07 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners with diverse interests,

The Hemmings daily email had a surprise for me this morning.  The title was: "A fond farewell to Clive Cussler, 1931-2020."  Here is the link to the story:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2020/02/26/a-fond-farewell-to-clive-cussler-1931-2020/

Having spent quite a few years scuba diving, I was aware of Clive Cussler's novels and interest in finding shipwrecks, but I knew nothing about his interest in classic cars.

. . . .  I guess great minds think alike! . . . . .

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
20 tips including a TA-Performance plug. (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2020, 03:27:29 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners, particularly those with A-bodies,

Hemmings has come out with one of those lists of good ideas that are so popular in the media, blogs, and whatnot.  In this case they provide 20 tips for GM A-bodies of the 60s and 70s.  Here is the link to the article:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/inside-information/

There are some interesting ideas here, but probably not much for this community to pick up on.  Still there was one suggestion that is a boon to the Buick community in general.  Toward the end of the tips is a suggestion for Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac owners to consider purchasing a TA-Performance differential cover/girdle (part number: 1808).  TA-Performance has been standing by the Buick community for decades, so it is nice that the national automotive press is giving them some wider exposure.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Review of 1966 Skylark in May Motor News (Re: Hemmings Blog)
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2020, 03:36:01 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

The May issue of Hemming's Motor News has a "Classic Car Profile" of the 1966 Buick Skylark Sport Coupe.  You'll find it on page 20.  There is certainly nothing anyone on this forum would learn from the article, but it is always nice to see our favorite Buicks getting some national press.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 06:40:03 PM »
Edouard, And fans of the 66 Skylark. Its a nice article plus the Skylark belongs "Brian" From our own Registry (This Website) I have seen this Skylark at a BCA National Meet and it is stunning automobile.. :icon_thumright:
                                                                         Tony

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »
Anyone have a scan or copy they could send me?  Was not aware they dug up the pics of my car and did another article with them!  They did an article on my car in Hemmings Classic Car mag in 2011.  They came up to me at the 2010 charlotte autofair wanting to do an article on my 65GS, and did the 66 too since I had it at the show as well.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Brian's 66 Skylark in Hemmings Motor News.
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »
  Hi Brian,   I will cut out the article and send it to you so you have an original. Just send me a PM with your address..

Tony  :thumbsup: