Author Topic: Psalm 65 Build thread  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
Psalm 65 Build thread
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:38:18 AM »
I'm going to start the a build thread on my car, 1965 Skylark. Please PM on how these things work. It's gonna be my 1st build, let alone my 1st build thread. Please have patience and understand it might take a year or two. I will be asking all my newbee question here on this thread. I'll be back in a week, but after March 15th I'll be back strong.

Take care and be good.

How I Got her
1965 Skylark Hard top.
No drivetrain.
Chevy 350 welded moter mounts.

What I have so far for her.
A 430 BBB
Th400.
B4B intake
750 Q Jet.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Psalm 65 Build thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:44:03 AM »
Thanks for starting the build thread.  And don't worry about how long it will take.  My build thread is three years old and I'm not finished yet!  No worries....we are patient here!

So ask away, post pictures as you go, and we'll enjoy the ride with you!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Gotta have patience! (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
Dear Ronnie, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick owners who can go the distance!

Don't worry about our patience!  Make sure you've got plenty of patience of your own!  These projects typically drag on for years and very few projects are every really finished.  There is always some maintenance required and those frequently become an excuse for additional upgrades.

You might find some inspiration going through some of the current restorations threads:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php?board=9.0

That should certainly give you an idea of what to expect!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Georick

• Buick Nut
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
Looks like a great project. I'm looking forward to see your progress
65 Special

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:37:31 AM »
Edouard might be more but I hope less pal :thumbsup:

Thanks Georick. All the expert eyes on this is what's going to get her rolling.

I got some questions for you guys.

I would like to box my frame, and my thoughts were to use square stock from the metal supplier in town. Cut it accordingly and weld it. What's you thoughts on that ?

What could be used to refresh my leather seats?

I got the service and chassis manual coming soon in the mail.
And I've purchased the starter bolts to get the 430 running for evaluation.

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:57:20 AM »
I think your 400 trans has the chevy bolt pattern.  You will need one with a BOP pattern. It should be an easy trade/swap/sale with a Chevy guy.  That will be a very nice combination in the 65.  I had the same in a 65 four door Skylark and it surprised (passed) a lot of folks. Your rear end gear will be important. A 3.08 or slightly higher will really make it go. 

I don't know that the boxed frame will make that big of a difference.  The lower model GMs used the unboxed frames in all of their big block cars.  You will be fine without unless you are planning a high horsepower 1/4 miler with unlimited grip. You will not be twisting the frame with the current 430. 

Its a Buick, but the seats are not leather.  They are vinyl.  They usually clean up with a lot of scrubbing.  You may also have some luck with plastic/vinyl dye/paint if they won't clean up. It may or may not hold up, but would look good for a while.

Hope that helps - Steve  :hello:       

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Are the seat OEM? (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
Dear Ronnie, Steve, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

What could be used to refresh my leather seats?

Its a Buick, but the seats are not leather.  They are vinyl.  They usually clean up with a lot of scrubbing.  You may also have some luck with plastic/vinyl dye/paint if they won't clean up. It may or may not hold up, but would look good for a while.

Are those the original seats?  If so they are in amazingly good condition!  After about 10 years we had cracks in the vinyl seats of my wagon.  It was our only car, but we didn't drive her all that much even by the standards of the 1970s.  If they are vinyl, after cleaning, you might try a protective treatment like 303:

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products/

I don't know if 303 protectant is appropriate for seats, but it works great on the vinyl of the dash board pad and it leaves a dry finish.  Anything that would block the UV rays of the sun would be helpful.  By now there must be a some sort of a product that absorbs UV and can be used on vinyl seats.

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »
Steve & Eduourd , thanks for your experienced advice. My 430 is stock and won't be wild for many years to come after I get my career going, so the boxed frame I guess won't be necessary. Thanks for the rear end tip, another confirmation i should be running a 3. series rear gear, was once told not to go above 3.55.
The vinyl looked so good I thought it was leather. I do have a small rip in one of my seats, can you guys recommend a solution?
I will look into 303, thank you for the link.

Why do you think that my th400 has Chevy mounts, it was from a 73 455 Pontiac car?
 Another thing I forgot to tell everyone is that I had purchased a HD th400 out of a RV just for the strait cut gears, they are stronger but noisier, I got the trans for 25$ so I hopped on it. Most likely I'll be running those gears because I'll be pounding on the Skylark

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »
 :blob7:
It came in mail today.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
Good move.  You'll definitely make use of it!

Now get out there and get to work!!!    :headbang:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
Thanks Chuck :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Oh yeah you'll use it! (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
Dear Ronnie, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick users who have da' instructions and aren't afraid to use them!

It came in mail today.

Good move.  You'll definitely make use of it!

I'll second that motion!  My Dad brought a copy of the service manual directly from GM shortly after we bought our wagon in 1968.  Since then I have lugged it to San Diego twice and Seattle once in my various job pursuits.  Wherever my wagon and I ended up in the world, the manual would also be there!

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 06:28:29 PM »
The angle on the ears look too severe and there is usually a lower flatish area between the ears.  Maybe it is the angle of the picture, but just make sure it fits. 

Steve

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
I got a question. Will a 67 gs gas tank fit my 65 Skylark?
What other options do I have for doner gas tanks? Gbody?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Repo tanks are inexpensive. (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Dear Ronnie and mid-60s Buick owners with "get up and go" in their tanks.

I got a question. Will a 67 gs gas tank fit my 65 Skylark?
What other options do I have for doner gas tanks? Gbody?

I don't know the answer to your question, but the A-body gas tanks interchange across all GM A-bodies (I believe - they do for the wagons.)  If so there is stiff competition and so the price on the reproductions is competitive.  I bought a Spectra Premium tank with a built-in EFI pump since I was going that way.  However, a gas tank is a steel box and I would hope that quality control would remain high.  A poorly made gas tank could generate a lawsuit that would put a company out of business.

The rest of the gang around here knows more than I do, but you might at least look into a reproduction tank.  After all it is holding flammable gasoline.  Perhaps this deserves a slightly more careful investment.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Another benefit to a new tank is no debris clogging up your carburetor.