Author Topic: Psalm 65 Build thread  (Read 3504 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Black CA plates now the rage (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »
Dear Ronnie, Brian, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I see that all your questions have already been answered.  When you get around to buying a gas tank you might check round for the best price.  I assume you are planning to go with "vintage" mechanical fuel pump and carb - correct?

I assume you don't have any need for extra range, but a FYI you can put in the back of your head is that 25 gallon tanks are available for these cars:

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/64-67-buick-skylark-fuel-tank/

Unfortunately these tanks are very expensive and apparently you can't just order a tank without the fuel pump.

Love those CA black plate project cars. Here?s mine.

The current generation of black California plates like the one on my trusty wagon are incredibly popular.  Most of them are ending up on modern cars and a surprising number of them aren't personalized.  People are paying extra for the look of these plates.  It does make for a special look on a white or black car, but cars in many colors are getting these plates.  Considering that most of the people getting these plate have probably never even seen the plates from the 1960-70, I'm surprised that they have become so fashionable.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Psalm 65 Build thread
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
Edouard  :occasion14:, yeah im going to be using a carb and a mechanical fuel pump. No efi for me. That gas tank was expensive. I do like the 25 gallon tank and wonder if that would balance the skylark out some after i install a heavier engine that was intended for it. Which takes me to another topic... Handling  :dontknow:,,, Since the 430 is going to weight more what should I ne looking for to rectify my rides maneuverbility???

See I remember when I drove a car with a heavier engine swaped into it, and I had to watch myself turning. In a strait line it was very good.

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
I personally like the blue and yellow plates from the 80's. But still a big fan of the black&gold.

Compared to other states CA has simple plates. Ive always noticed more effort in the art department in other states plates.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Handling with big-block. (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Dear Ronnie and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Edouard  :occasion14:, yeah im going to be using a carb and a mechanical fuel pump. No efi for me. That gas tank was expensive. I do like the 25 gallon tank and wonder if that would balance the skylark out some after i install a heavier engine that was intended for it.

I agree that those tanks are very expensive.  I'm only keeping an eye on them because my wagon is supposed to be pulling a heavy trailer so her gas mileage will be really poor.  Extending a car's range is a lot more important when you are traveling and don't know where every gas station is located.  I hope the Internet will make that problem less serious than in the past, but driving from gas station to station is a real drag.

I don't think the extra weight of the larger gas tank will make a big difference in the car's handling.  Assuming the tank itself weighs about the same, the extra gas is only about 30 pounds.  Depending on the configuration, your engine will weigh as much as 50% more then the stock engine: 400 lbs. vs. 600 lbs.

Which takes me to another topic... Handling  :dontknow:,,, Since the 430 is going to weight more what should I ne looking for to rectify my rides maneuverbility???

See I remember when I drove a car with a heavier engine swaped into it, and I had to watch myself turning. In a strait line it was very good.

My wagon's engine has a lot of aluminum so it is probably closer to 550 lbs., but that's still much more than the standard Buick 300.  I'm no performance freak but I think she handles very well with her suspension upgrades.  There is some description of the upgrades on the Biquette thread starting here:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2610.msg28763.html#msg28763

Certainly feel free to ask for any additional details.

I personally like the blue and yellow plates from the 80's. But still a big fan of the black&gold.

Compared to other states CA has simple plates. Ive always noticed more effort in the art department in other states plates.

Biquette ended up with blue and gold plates after she was stolen in 1986.  She had them until a few year ago when I got her the black plates with her name on them.  I also liked the blue and gold plates (after all I am a graduate Cal Berkeley and those are our school colors!)

I'm just about certain that the DMV had released a recent batch of blue and gold plates.  There is a vanity plate in the neighborhood that is too new to date back to the 1980s.  However, it isn't listed on this Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_California

However, this could be the case where Wikipedia is out of date.  At the moment, The CA DMV has a wide variety of vanity plates, but the only one that isn't a reflective white background is the retro black plates.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 05:25:40 PM »
Gotta get that Nanny Goat to run on GRASS  :overthetop:  ws
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »
How many of you guys can assist with putting my 430 back to running conditions with pictures I post? I have been doing alot of work on the house and I'm getting to the point were I can finally put work in on my Buicks.
 Was wondering who's on board???!?!?!

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
 alright :rocker:.
Gime me some time but check up on here every two days. I'm going to start it up soon. Just hope my pictures dont come in sideways like always :protest:

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2019, 02:01:34 PM »
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Just be careful . . . . . . (Re: Psalm 65 Build thread )
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »
Dear Ronnie, Michael, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

How many of you guys can assist with putting my 430 back to running conditions with pictures I post?

The forum is a bit quiet because of the mid-week holiday, so might take a while for everyone else to show up.  One character to check-in on is yachtsmanbill.  He is getting a 1964 Special "supersized" with a 455 as described in this thread:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,4251.0.html

. . . . . Just be a bit careful.  After all, yachtsmanbill is a sailor.  If you follow too closely you might get seasick! . . . . .

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »
YUP... Me 'n Ronnie go way back! That 455 +.040" is now a 465 CID monster that's shedding its gosling feathers and getting ready to fly, So I said look out boys I gotta a license to fly and that ol' 430 pulled over and let me by!  :whip2:    Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 11:14:29 PM »
 :occasion14: :occasion14: :occasion14:

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
Ronnie,

I have all my 430 block work done and all my parts needed to assemble.

Have been busy with my '64 putting in a TKO after trashing my old BW T-10, so if you have any questions or need pics and such while the 430 is in "Illustrated Parts Breakdown" condition, let me know.

I also have several OEM parts from the 430 if you need anything. Let me know. You have "first rights" to anything if you may need/want before I list them elsewhere.

:)

Michael
Michael

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2019, 10:26:17 PM »
I appreciate that Micahel, soon we will figure out if I'm missing anything. I'm glad Eduoard pulled my ear to post back on here.

So now that I can post pictures here a picture of the Skylark

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:44 PM »
Cool car!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto