Author Topic: Glove Box Liner for A/C cars  (Read 4681 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Glove Box Liner for A/C cars
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
Long story, but here goes.....

I recently had a very positive interface with a company that I'd not heard of before.  Loren suggested I order a glove box liner from them.  They are the only company we've seen that lists a liner for a 65 Skylark with air conditioning.  As many of you know, that liner is tapered front to back on the right side to clear the A/C discharge vent on that side of the dash, which makes it different than the liner for a non-A/C car.  I was surprised to find a liner for an A/C car because I had asked about them here on the Forum and found that none were available.  New liners for the non-A/C car were being modified to fit. 

The company I bought it from is:  http://www.classicbuicks.com.  They are located in Dallas, Oregon.  Suburban Portland, I believe.  I noted on the order confirmation that the liner was scheduled to be drop shipped directly from the manufacturer.  So the box arrived and I opened it to find that this is a liner for the non-A/C application.  It was a Repops brand, their part number BU101.  I wasn't surprised based on the information from this group, but a bit disappointed.  I figured I'd have to modify this new liner to fit my A/C car like others have had to do.  But before doing that, I decided to call Classic Buicks to make them aware that this liner is not correct for a non-A/C car. 

I ended up talking with Marc, the owner of Classic Buicks.  I explained the situation and he was surprised and pulled up his ordering information from Repops.  It did list separate parts for the A/C and non-A/C applications, but with a little more digging, he found that BU101 was listed as the part number for both.  He said he would call Repops, discuss with them, and get back to me.  A day later he called back and asked me to call a representative at Repops (actually Montco Manufacturing in Mena, Arkansas) to discuss the situation.  I did that and found the Repops rep to also be surprised that there are two different glove box liner for our cars.

So, now I'll shorten the story.  I sent the liner from my air conditioned 65 Skylark parts car to Montco.  It was structurally good, but suffered from normal wear and tear.  I confirmed today that he received it.  They are going to make a pattern from it and in a few months will be offering the correct liner for air conditioned Skylarks for sale.  He will send the first production part to me when they are available, probably in 2-3 months.  They will be flocked and will have the internal document shelf, just like the originals.  He said the only feature they have not been able to duplicate is the vinyl pipiing on the document shelf.  When I receive the new liner, I'll post some pictures and let this group know they are available.  When that time comes, I'll be recommending that those interested in purchasing buy them from Classic Buicks.  Any company that takes the initiative to have a needed part reproduced for us deserves some business!!

Stay tuned.....

Chuck

Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Glove Box Liner for A/C cars
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »
That is great news Chuck!  Since you now have a contact at Repops, it would be great if you could point out that the same situation exists for the 66-67 glovebox liner.  It has an extra bend in the bottom of it to create a taper up from the bottom to the back so that it will clear the heater/AC box under the dash in the A/C cars.  The non-A/C one has a squared off bottom to back transition.  I may be able to come up with an original, and if not, I am guessing Walt has one somewhere in his collection.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
It would be interesting to see how many members are interested in being able to obtain a correct glove box liner for A.C. cars

I know, I could make use of two.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Great news! (Re: Glove Box Liner for A/C cars)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »
Dear Chuck, Brian, Loren, and mid-60s Buick parts hounds,

Long story, but here goes.....

I recently had a very positive interface with a company that I'd not heard of before. 

. . . .

When that time comes, I'll be recommending that those interested in purchasing buy them from Classic Buicks.  Any company that takes the initiative to have a needed part reproduced for us deserves some business!!

Hey that's great news!   :hello2:  Indeed, I'm also pleased to hear about this company and will remember them next time I need something.

So, now I'll shorten the story.  I sent the liner from my air conditioned 65 Skylark parts car to Montco.  It was structurally good, but suffered from normal wear and tear.  I confirmed today that he received it.  They are going to make a pattern from it and in a few months will be offering the correct liner for air conditioned Skylarks for sale.  He will send the first production part to me when they are available, probably in 2-3 months. 

Stay tuned.....

. . . . Yeah, but do you think they would be interested in reproducing one of these? 

Here's the view of the back:

Oh well, I suppose the market for glove box liners for 1965 Buick A-bodies equipped with Vintage Air isn't that large after all! . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »
It would be interesting to see how many members are interested in being able to obtain a correct glove box liner for A.C. cars

Loren

Put me down for two also.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »
That is great news Chuck!  Since you now have a contact at Repops, it would be great if you could point out that the same situation exists for the 66-67 glovebox liner.  It has an extra bend in the bottom of it to create a taper up from the bottom to the back so that it will clear the heater/AC box under the dash in the A/C cars.  The non-A/C one has a squared off bottom to back transition.  I may be able to come up with an original, and if not, I am guessing Walt has one somewhere in his collection.

I'll be happy to do that.  Let's confirm first that we have a worthy original liner to send for a pattern.  Once that is confirmed, I'll give them a call.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »

Loren

Should we make this known on other Buick sites as well?  I don't frequent them, but will make the effort on sites that are recommended.  Or, if preferred, this site and post can be referenced on other Buick sites.  That would be fine with me   :hello2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
Thanks for your time and efforts on this Chuck. Production timing for the glove box liner should work out just right for my project.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline tsollazo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 01:34:27 PM »
I'll order one from them once available. It was a pita modifying the non AC version to fit in ours.

Thanks and good job Chuck!!

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 02:02:07 PM »
All

Count me in for one.

Never know when I might need one.

Milton
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
Any news on this, Chuck ?

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
Not yet.  I don't expect to hear anything until next month at the earliest.  I think I'll call Repops and see if they'll give me a status update, though.

Still looking for a volunteer to send a 66 Skylark liner for a pattern.  If anyone's interested, let me know.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
For a volunteer you need a 66 A/C liner, is that right? I could maybe take one out of one of my cars.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 12:35:05 AM »
Any update on this project? Thanks!
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
I spoke with Repops a few weeks ago and they thought maybe it would be available by the end of this month.  I'm not holding my breath, but hopeful.  I'll know they are ready when I receive the first one from production.  They have agreed to let us be a sort of distributor for this product.  I'll get more details when the part is available and let you know how we might save a few bucks with this.

Stay tuned.....

:cheers2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100