Author Topic: Dusty to the rescue  (Read 881 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
More audio tricks (Re: Dusty to the rescue)
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
Dear Barb, Walt, and mid-60s Buick audiophiles,

Thank you for all the useful information as always it gives me things to think about.

A modern radio/cd player can be had for under $100. You can mount it out of sight and control it with the remote. Put all your music on a usb stick and you don't even have to fuss with changing cd's!

If you want something a bit more oriented toward a classic, you can get a hidden radio like the one sold by Custom Autosound:

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

As if you didn't have enough choices, there are now two competitors in the modern stereos that fit into classics market.  There is Retrosound:

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

and Ken Harrison radios:

http://kenharrisonradios.com/

I personally don't care for the look of the RetroSound stereos, but the Ken Harrison units look very period correct and have been updated last year with goodies like Bluetooth.  Also, don't get hung up on the suggested retail price of these units because you find them heavily discounted in places like eBay.

It really boils down to how much effort you want to invest in making that part of your car feel good to you.  You can toss a boombox on the back seat and that will give you music.  If you have a numbers matching car, probably the only reasonable thing to do is to stick with the factory radio whatever it was.  Even so, it is worth pondering that you can buy a stereo and speakers that will mount into exactly the original mono speaker and upgrade to stereo for the same footprint and minimal wiring.  So long as you keep all those original component and document how you swapped things out, you could easily put back the factory parts with nobody knowing the difference.

It is nice to have all these choices - it is up to the individual classic car owner to decide what fits their style and budget.

x2 on the Walker Dynomax super turbos. One of the quieter performance mufflers.

No complaints on the mufflers . . . . except when the engine isn't running . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Dusty to the rescue
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
I wonder what ever happened to Dusty?
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Dusty to the rescue
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »

I too have wondered that.  Barb hasn't been on for eleven months .

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Definitely miss the company (Re: Dusty to the rescue)
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
Dear Jim, Loren, and members of the 65GS.com community,

Definitely sorry not to have seen Barb and Dusty back on the board all these months.  Dusty is another car with a real story and Barb wasn't afraid to share pictures which I especially enjoy.  I hope car and owner are both well.

Cheers, Edouard