Author Topic: Dusty to the rescue  (Read 878 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Dusty to the rescue
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »
Milton was referring to a fan and ducting on Kevin's tractor in the picture of him blowing snow.  Enlarge the picture and look for the light colored fan and ductwork just above the front wheel of the tractor.  I think you'll see what Milton was talking about.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »
Milton was referring to a fan and ducting on Kevin's tractor in the picture of him blowing snow.  Enlarge the picture and look for the light colored fan and ductwork just above the front wheel of the tractor.  I think you'll see what Milton was talking about.

Chuck
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Don't feel bad, Barb.  I missed it too the first time I looked at Kevin's picture.  It wasn't until I saw the post from "Eagle Eyes" Milton that I went back again and had the AHA! moment. 

Now, if Dusty has an intercooler all his own, we need to see pictures of it under the hood.  What other cool bits from his racing heritage are hidden under there????   :thumbsup:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
Sorry Barb

I didn't intentionally try to take your thread off course.

I apologise!

You have been doing a really great job bringing solid questions and new thoughts to all of us.

In particular those pictures of Dusty brings me back to my first GS that was a BLACK 2 door HT that I owned for years.

To fill in the blanks I was referring to Kevins all Black Snow Blower and Seasonal Transition to BUICK cruising weather.

When I first seen his all Black Snow Blower turbocharging snow at great velocity out the chute it made me think of the BUICK Gran National and GSX cars.

I then noticed the only piece that wasn't BLACK looked to me like a Intercooler or cold air intake that is about the only thing that isn't black on a GN GNX car.

In the life of the GN GSX there was a hard driving advertising promotional song titled "Bad To The Bone".

This song may have done as much for the BUICK Muscle fraternity as songs like "Little GTO" did for the Pontiac.

When the song starts playing you can't resist starting to move with the Power of Buick.

Bottom line when I look at Kevins picture weird things start happening to me and reality starts to blur into visions of Buick Mania and Spring cruising.

Thanks 65GS,com for keeping me on the edge.

You do it better than anyone.

Milton

65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Multi-cultural "Ah-Ha!" moment! (Re: Dusty to the rescue)
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
Dear Barb, Chuck, Milton, and mid-60s Buick "armchair philosophers,"

Don't feel bad, Barb.  I missed it too the first time I looked at Kevin's picture. 

Well my apologies but I've been thinking about this all day and I taught a course at U.C. San Diego that was somewhat related to what I was observing.

It occurred to me that probably Barb and I did exactly the same thing.  The thumbnail of Kevin's picture was more than enough for us to know what was there: a poor guy struggling in the snow.  For somebody who never has to deal with snow - what else is there?  It never occurred to me the sort of complex engine technology that might go into a snow-blower - until now!

Milton and Kevin were "talking shop" were both of them deal with snow all the time and there is no need to clarify things like: "the intercooler is on a snowblower."  On the other hand, Barb and I have no idea or interest in how to clear snow.  All we need to know from our point of view is that it is difficult unpleasant work.  We certainly don't need to know what is the best machines for clearing snow - we'll never do it.

So it was a surprising "two ships passing in the night" moment.  Everybody "thought" they understood everything that mattered - until I applied a little logic and concluded something was seriously amiss here.  Okay, you might find this rather boring, but now many times do misunderstandings like this happen on the Internet and nobody realizes the confusion.  It is a bit scary!

Okay, so you read through my philosophical mumbo jumbo.  I'll offer all you guys in the snowbound north a bit of good cheer in the form of some blooming California Poppies:

The Spring Equinox (believe it or not) is less than 12 hours away, so hang on guys - the great thaw isn't too far away now!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »
Is all good. It made me rake my head. I love learning  from you all. I need music ideas for Dusty.  Although  it would have to come from the ipod. Dusty  has a radio but not working[emoji26] .  In that  music subject, question are all your engines  loud.  I had to have music super loud  just to hear over the engine. Dusty is just screaming get out of my way ,  bullying  all the cars  near him.[emoji1]

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
Dear Barb, Chuck, Milton, and mid-60s Buick "armchair philosophers,"

Don't feel bad, Barb.  I missed it too the first time I looked at Kevin's picture. 

Well my apologies but I've been thinking about this all day and I taught a course at U.C. San Diego that was somewhat related to what I was observing.

It occurred to me that probably Barb and I did exactly the same thing.  The thumbnail of Kevin's picture was more than enough for us to know what was there: a poor guy struggling in the snow.  For somebody who never has to deal with snow - what else is there?  It never occurred to me the sort of complex engine technology that might go into a snow-blower - until now!

Milton and Kevin were "talking shop" were both of them deal with snow all the time and there is no need to clarify things like: "the intercooler is on a snowblower."  On the other hand, Barb and I have no idea or interest in how to clear snow.  All we need to know from our point of view is that it is difficult unpleasant work.  We certainly don't need to know what is the best machines for clearing snow - we'll never do it.

So it was a surprising "two ships passing in the night" moment.  Everybody "thought" they understood everything that mattered - until I applied a little logic and concluded something was seriously amiss here.  Okay, you might find this rather boring, but now many times do misunderstandings like this happen on the Internet and nobody realizes the confusion.  It is a bit scary!

Okay, so you read through my philosophical mumbo jumbo.  I'll offer all you guys in the snowbound north a bit of good cheer in the form of some blooming California Poppies:

The Spring Equinox (believe it or not) is less than 12 hours away, so hang on guys - the great thaw isn't too far away now!

Thanks for the logic. Last snow I saw was 1/8 of an inch in 2009 and the whole town shut down for two  days.[emoji23]

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
How original you do you want to be? (Re: Dusty to the rescue)
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick audiophiles,

I need music ideas for Dusty.  Although  it would have to come from the ipod. Dusty  has a radio but not working

You have a bunch of choices.  There was a time when either you had to stick with the original radio or by a stereo that was custom built to fit in the original space.  That's what Biquette got back in the mid-1990s.  She has a second generation stereo from Custom Audiosound right now.  With some modifications it really looks like the original radio:

Even so this stereo has most of the modern features including music from a smart-phone and even being able to answer phone calls!  (I haven't tested that feature though.)  You can get the same functionality while keeping Dusty's original radio.  Companies will install a small chip-set into the radio so it will look 100% original and still support Bluetooth.

However, that will still give you a problem about speakers.  Biquette has some Custom Autosound kickpanel speakers:

You can see the speaker under the steering wheel.

In that  music subject, question are all your engines  loud.  I had to have music super loud  just to hear over the engine. Dusty is just screaming get out of my way ,  bullying  all the cars  near him.

I don't know if Dusty still has some racing "goodies" that are making him louder.  However, Biquette always had a noise problem especially on the freeway.  Her new drive-train features a TH200-4R transmission with overdrive.  When she settles into overdrive she is much quieter even if her engine is much more powerful than her old engine.

Unfortunately, that's the problem when you are driving a classic car.  It doesn't take long to enjoy the advantages of modern technology.  I went to a lot of trouble to try to modernize Biquette in part to reduce the noise.  She is much quieter than she used to be, but she isn't as quiet as our 2000 Buick Century.  I think I need to add some additional sound insulation for that.  We have to give GM credit - they have learned quite a few tricks in 35+ years!

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
I have an original radio being worked on right now. There is a Buick guy in AZ that can put FM and iPod on your current radio.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:00 AM »
I have an original radio being worked on right now. There is a Buick guy in AZ that can put FM and iPod on your current radio.
That sounds amazing. Could you share his information. Please.

kicking Dust.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:15 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick audiophiles,

I need music ideas for Dusty.  Although  it would have to come from the ipod. Dusty  has a radio but not working

You have a bunch of choices.  There was a time when either you had to stick with the original radio or by a stereo that was custom built to fit in the original space.  That's what Biquette got back in the mid-1990s.  She has a second generation stereo from Custom Audiosound right now.  With some modifications it really looks like the original radio:

Even so this stereo has most of the modern features including music from a smart-phone and even being able to answer phone calls!  (I haven't tested that feature though.)  You can get the same functionality while keeping Dusty's original radio.  Companies will install a small chip-set into the radio so it will look 100% original and still support Bluetooth.

However, that will still give you a problem about speakers.  Biquette has some Custom Autosound kickpanel speakers:

You can see the speaker under the steering wheel.

In that  music subject, question are all your engines  loud.  I had to have music super loud  just to hear over the engine. Dusty is just screaming get out of my way ,  bullying  all the cars  near him.

I don't know if Dusty still has some racing "goodies" that are making him louder.  However, Biquette always had a noise problem especially on the freeway.  Her new drive-train features a TH200-4R transmission with overdrive.  When she settles into overdrive she is much quieter even if her engine is much more powerful than her old engine.

Unfortunately, that's the problem when you are driving a classic car.  It doesn't take long to enjoy the advantages of modern technology.  I went to a lot of trouble to try to modernize Biquette in part to reduce the noise.  She is much quieter than she used to be, but she isn't as quiet as our 2000 Buick Century.  I think I need to add some additional sound insulation for that.  We have to give GM credit - they have learned quite a few tricks in 35+ years!

Dusty has his dual exhaust pipes. He just sounds mean, like I dare you to leave the light faster then me[emoji28]

kicking Dust.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 07:35:38 AM »

kicking Dust.

+1!  More info please, Jim.

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Radio conversion information (Re: Dusty to the rescue)
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »
Dear Barb, Jim, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick audiophiles,

I'm not sure if this is the same system that Jim is getting, but the electronic module I was referring to is called BTU-2 from Aurora technology.  It is described on this page:

http://randbvintageautoradio.com/radio-conversion.html

Jim's installer may be using the FMR-2 that does provide a line-in so that an iPod can be connected.  I personally prefer to use Bluetooth since I have to take my smart-phone with me anyway, and that way, I have music without any wires.  All our cars now have Bluetooth stereos, so my phone provides the same music no matter which car I am driving.

There are a number of companies that install these modules.  I have a bookmark for this guy in Washington state.

http://www.billtheradioguy.com/

There are 4 downsides to this approach:

• It is significantly more expensive than an after market stereo.
  • The conversion process doesn't restore the appearance of your original stereo unless you pay to also have this done.
  • Controlling your music is a bit clumsy because the original radio wasn't designed to have all this functionality
  • While it preserves the factory appearance around the dash, it does nothing to solve the problem of the speakers necessary to enjoy the stereo.  To get decent sound you'll have to sacrifice some originality.

Dusty has his dual exhaust pipes. He just sounds mean, like I dare you to leave the light faster then me

Dusty might have some aggressive mufflers that are free flowing but noisy.  There are quieter mufflers that nonetheless don't restrict the flow too much.  Biquette has Walker Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and they are about as quiet as you can get while trying to avoid putting back-pressure on the engine.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers

I can look up the model number if you want.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
Dear Barb, Jim, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick audiophiles,

I'm not sure if this is the same system that Jim is getting, but the electronic module I was referring to is called BTU-2 from Aurora technology.  It is described on this page:

http://randbvintageautoradio.com/radio-conversion.html

Jim's installer may be using the FMR-2 that does provide a line-in so that an iPod can be connected.  I personally prefer to use Bluetooth since I have to take my smart-phone with me anyway, and that way, I have music without any wires.  All our cars now have Bluetooth stereos, so my phone provides the same music no matter which car I am driving.

There are a number of companies that install these modules.  I have a bookmark for this guy in Washington state.

http://www.billtheradioguy.com/

There are 4 downsides to this approach:

• It is significantly more expensive than an after market stereo.
  • The conversion process doesn't restore the appearance of your original stereo unless you pay to also have this done.
  • Controlling your music is a bit clumsy because the original radio wasn't designed to have all this functionality
  • While it preserves the factory appearance around the dash, it does nothing to solve the problem of the speakers necessary to enjoy the stereo.  To get decent sound you'll have to sacrifice some originality.

Dusty has his dual exhaust pipes. He just sounds mean, like I dare you to leave the light faster then me

Dusty might have some aggressive mufflers that are free flowing but noisy.  There are quieter mufflers that nonetheless don't restrict the flow too much.  Biquette has Walker Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and they are about as quiet as you can get while trying to avoid putting back-pressure on the engine.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo-mufflers

I can look up the model number if you want.

Cheers, Edouard

Thank you for all the useful information as always it gives me things to think about.

kicking Dust.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:23 PM »
A modern radio/cd player can be had for under $100. You can mount it out of sight and control it with the remote. Put all your music on a usb stick and you don't even have to fuss with changing cd's!

If you already have a fm radio, you can get a transmitter that plugs into the cig lighter to play music from your phone or usb thru your present system. Cost is under $20 from Amazon.

x2 on the Walker Dynomax super turbos. One of the quieter performance mufflers.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal