Author Topic: 65 Special dash removal  (Read 721 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
65 Special dash removal
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »
I want to remove the dash so I can replace the firewall pad. Any specific instructions or cautions about doing this?

Do I need to remove the windshield?
-George

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: 65 Special dash removal
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
You won't have to remove the dash or windshield to replace the firewall pad.
There are a few items that need to be removed from under the dash though because the pad is sandwiched between them and the firewall.

Non A/C car is a little easier then an A/C car.

Do have to remove the heater box and disconnect the cables and resistor wiring from it. You need to remove the hoses, on the engine side, to the heater core before removing the heater box. The engine bay side is where you access the fasteners for the heater box. If the passenger side fender is still on, you will not be able to access some of the fasteners.
You also have to remove the fuse block from the inside lower left and the E-brake assembly.  Another item that has to be removed is the plastic trim piece at the base of the steering column. Be careful of this piece, it is ridged plastic and can break easily.

I think that is about all,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »
George, i just finished installing a firewall pad in my car. Loren is correct in his directions. If the fender and  inner fender are still on the car you will need to go to the electronic garage section on the home page for instructions on how to get to the nut that is hidden behind the inner fender. Follow the instructions and you should have no problems. I hit the nut on the first try. I also removed the kick panels on both sides as the pad goes behind the panel. Also remove the glove box and by removing the radio you have a better view and is also a big help when you reconnect the heater cables after you put the heater box back in. I got my pad from The Parts Place, very happy with the quality. Good luck.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »
I don't understand much of what you guys speak of,  since I am not familiar with the car. I figured that I need to remove the dash so I can get everything cleaned up.  It's pretty dirty and dusty. I also want to see if there is any damage behind the dash that I may need to repair. I also want to change the heater core and check all the vent controls.
It's not an AC car.
Either way, I think I will start taking it apart and see how far I get. I saw a YouTube video of a dash removal on a 66 Impala, is that similar?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:51:25 PM by Polishmeatballpizza »
-George

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
Think the term 'dash removal' may be confusing the issue. Seems that you really are going to 'disassemble' the dash. If you don't have a Chassis Service Manual use the one in the Electronic Garage http://65gs.com/65%20Chassis%20Service%20Manual/1965%20BUICK%20SPECIAL%20CHASSIS%20SERVICE%20MANUALindex.html Page 480 shows the dash area.
Do what Vinnie and Loren suggested. Start with the glovebox and remove everything on the dash. That will give you a great view of heater assembly and the firewall. Remember, it has to go back together so take notes or pictures.
And, no, a 66 Impala is not all that similar. Lots of luck and have fun.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Can't remove the steel part of dash. (Re: 65 Special dash removal)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:09:16 AM »
Dear George, Dan, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I don't understand much of what you guys speak of,  since I am not familiar with the car. I figured that I need to remove the dash so I can get everything cleaned up.

You can't remove the steel portion of the dash.  Here are some pictures of how my trusty wagon's dash was repainted.  It was done in place:

Here is the other side:

In order to paint it professionally, it does help to remove the windshield.  I had the windshield replaced because it has some damage that was beyond repair.  It is one of those things you don't think about too much until you do it.  When I drove the car home, it felt like the car had no windshield - it was so much clearer than before!

It's not an AC car.

Not to offer any cruel temptation, but you could upgrade to a Vintage Air system if you really wanted A/C.  If I remember correctly, you are in southern California.  I really glad I did the upgrade and it isn't nearly as warm in the San Francisco bay area as I assume it is in your corner of California.

Cheers, Edouard