Author Topic: Da' further adventures of da' trusty billy-goat wagon!  (Read 20632 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Da' further adventures of da' trusty billy-goat wagon!
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Any updates on the ticking issue?
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear Kevin and mid-60s Buick subscribers to my trusty wagon's continuing "meller-drama," . . . .

Any updates on the ticking issue?

As it turns out just this afternoon there was a finally some progress.  Mike Tomaszewski had asked Greg and the guys at Orinda Motors to check the amount of play in the valve that appeared to be loose.  Unfortunately, Orinda Motors didn't have a tool to release the valve spring on a Buick engine.  They ordered one and . . . . . it got lost in the mail!   A second one arrived today and Greg was able to confirm that there is too much play in that one valve.  That was enough for Mike to conclude that the heads need to be sent back to TA-Performance so that he can find out what's going on.

Mike asked that Greg check the camshaft to make sure it didn't get damaged.  Assuming the camshaft is fine, the heads will be headed to Scottdale, AZ to find out what is out of whack with them.

Stay tuned! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the update Edouard.  Can you tell us more about "there is too much play in that one valve"?  If I interpret correctly, Orinda took the spring retainers and valve locks off, releasing the spring and found what sounds like valve guide wear in at least one valve guide.  I assume these are aluminum heads with pressed in valve guides.  Do you know what the valve guide material is?  If brass or bronze, I'm not surprised considering the lack of valve rotation.

Sorry for the technical questions.  There goes the engineer again.    :icon_scratch:

Cheers!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:49 PM »
Wow, I am learning a lot here. Thanks of the education.

kicking Dust.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Play beyond normal tolerance (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon! )
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Dear Chuck, Barb, and mid-60s Buick engine caregivers,

Thanks for the update Edouard.  Can you tell us more about "there is too much play in that one valve"?  If I interpret correctly, Orinda took the spring retainers and valve locks off, releasing the spring and found what sounds like valve guide wear in at least one valve guide.  I assume these are aluminum heads with pressed in valve guides.  Do you know what the valve guide material is?  If brass or bronze, I'm not surprised considering the lack of valve rotation.

Yes the spring retainer was removed and the valve was kept from dropping into the combustion chamber by compressed air.  Greg then used a meter to measure the amount of movement and it exceeded the standards for those heads.

These heads are TA-Performance Stage-2 aluminum heads.  I don't know what is the valve guide material, but they certainly could be brass or bronze.

That's all I know at the moment.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »
I'm just glad there wasn't extensive damage. Good luck!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 66nailhead

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2017, 11:54:04 PM »
I definitely feel your pain. It sucks tearing apart a fresh clean motor. Wish ya luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Harper

66 buick gs hardtop.  401/st400
66 buick gs convertible. 401/st300. Original Verde green with 70,000 miles
66 buick special 2dr post. 340/st400.
66 buick special wagon

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks guys! (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon! )
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »
Dear Jim, Dan, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks for your support!  :icon_thumright:

My poor wagon has been extremely unlucky these past few years.  I just hope things fill finally turn around!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Maybe a bad spell, but no one could love her as you do.

And I am sure the biskit will be chewing up the roads soon.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
Dear Jim, Dan, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks for your support!  :icon_thumright:

My poor wagon has been extremely unlucky these past few years.  I just hope things fill finally turn around!

Cheers, Edouard
She will turn around and be better then ever. She is a girl who wants to be spoiled with new shiny  things.[emoji12]   Best  wishes.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Gotta grin and bear it. (Re: Da' trusty billy-goat wagon! )
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »
Dear Michael, Barb, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks once more for your words of encouragement.  At the moment I've just got to wait and see how this repair unfolds.  I promise to keep everybody informed of how this repair evolves.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers when things get tough,

I haven't updated this situation in a while because - it wasn't at all clear what was going on.  Mike Tomaszewski had asked Greg at Orinda Motors to pull the intake manifold so that the camshaft and lifters could be inspected.  Once more there was some scoring on the lifters and camshaft.  It wasn't awful but definitely disturbing.  It is extremely hard to photograph, but here is the best photo I got of the lifter damage:

The damage is mostly cosmetic, but this is hardened steel and this engine has only 2000 miles on it.  Greg's concern is that if these components have this much damage, the softer metal of the bearings should be more significantly damaged.

For a while, it appeared that the oil filter had collected a ton of metal debris.  However, on a second inspection the amount of debris seemed small considering the damage and the filter was keeping that debris out of the engine.

I spoke with Mike Tomaszewski this afternoon and he told me to pack the engine up once more and send it back to TA-Performance so that he can look the engine over and determine what is going on.  Unless something else is discovered that suggests the engine is really dead, sending it back to TA-Performance seems like the right thing to do.

So there's the update.  Time for me to get the garage ready for my wagon to return and sit once more.

Such are da' conditions that prevail
. . . . . .

Edouard

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »
How sad. I hope  they correct the challenge.  Best wishes, for your  trusty wagon.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2017, 11:09:08 PM »
Fingers crossed that it is a not so costly repair and that you caught this before the engine shelled out.
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 11:45:14 PM »
Edouard , 
 :sad1:   If I had a lifter that looked like that in my engine I would definately  be taking it all the way apart .   Thats a little more than cosmetic to me .
Hopefully they get it figured out for you soon with minimal cost to you .   I,d be concerned about how the lifter bore looks also .
Good luck with it .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more