Author Topic: Those two door wagons , there's more than one !  (Read 644 times)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Those two door wagons , there's more than one !
« on: January 13, 2022, 02:48:33 PM »
I was aware of the fact that there was more than one two door '64-'65 wagons built. Here's some photos of '64-'65 Buick two door wagons I've found .

Loren
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:50:07 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Those two door wagons , there's more than one !
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 07:57:33 PM »
I saw a couple of those before but the third one down looks like it rolled out of the factory that way. Someone put some serious time into it. There was also a dark green car that was done exceptionally well with GS markings but I can?t remember who did it?.if they were parked by Eduard?s car at a show they would all look like original restorations. It is weird that GM made two door wagons in the Malibu line but never went any other direction in 65. Are you keeping four doors on your project?

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:25:50 AM »
Definitely keeping four doors. It’s a complete, high optioned wagon. Just planning on a driveline change.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Interesting! (Re: Those two door wagons , there's more than one !)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 03:57:56 PM »
Dear Loren, Dan, and mid-60s Buick "longroof" fans,

Thanks for sharing Loren!  I was aware of at least two 2-door wagon restomod.  I believe the 3rd and last picture are of the same car and it has a Turbocharged Buick V-6 from the 1980s.  There is a second 2-door wagon with a chevy small block in it.  I wasn't aware of the other cars that you have found photos of.  I would be interesting to find out more about them!

. . . . .
It is weird that GM made two door wagons in the Malibu line but never went any other direction in 65.

This must be an interesting story in its own right.  I'd guess though that at the time a 2-door wagon just seemed too strange.  Many families only owned one car and it would do double-duty as cargo hauler.  Today my trusty wagon only needs 2 doors, but as I was growing up we needed all 4 doors as much to load stuff as carry people.  Even on her last stint as moving van when I worked at Amazon in Seattle in 2004-05, I sure appreciated those rear doors to fill the cargo bay to the brim!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline SBRMD

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:08:57 PM »
Edouard:  You are right, pics 3 and 5 are the same car, but it is the one with the Chevy small block.  I spoke with the owner about 5 years ago but lost track of him.  It was in Arizona.  The yellow one (first pic) is the one with a Buick V6, but it is a supercharged 3800 series 2 from the late '90's.  Spoke to this owner too, at BCA National meet in Ames.  Heckuva nice guy, and very skilled.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:11:01 PM by SBRMD »
Steve.

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 09:24:50 AM »
 I have noticed that the wagons have gotten a lot more respect in the collector market lately. Very few people maintained these with any diligence over the years. I think they were just used as the family truckster and took as much of a beating as anything. Of course a lot of them were just transformed into something else because most were built and used in the rust belt and ended life on a recycling pile. I can think of at least three from my youth including a 72 Pontiac sport wagon with factory endura bumper and GTO style hood, 1978 Buick free spirit turbocharged V6 wagon that got wrecked and I have never seen one since, and a 77 Olds wood grain wagon that had every option under the sun that also got wrecked. Every one of them were daily beasts that served several duties?..they all had trailer hitches too.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 02:02:32 PM »
The custom build Gran Sport wagon sold at Barret Jackson yesterday for $44,000 including commission.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 Sport Wagon
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371