Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3803 times)

Offline 70GSDude

• Buick Fan
Hello
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »
Good day fellow forum members!

I am the son of la65gs. I have a 1970 Buick GS that we are working on restoring as I have the money for it. I know the car does not exactly fit the forum as it is not in the A-body range of cars but I was asked to join for a number of reasons beyond the car. (I am sorry if my information is incorrect in that regard as I am still learning more about the many years of Buick cars).

I was asked recently, during a meeting of some of the owners/moderators of the club, to look through the website and provide suggestions as to how to improve the site. This fits well into my work history as a person that designed programs, not the programming side but the user experience side. I spent some time working on designing program interface and user workflows for 3rd party programs for Autodesk software. Some notables being Revit Excel Link, Revit Renumbering, and BIMList. Granted these were softwares completely unrelated to a forum but there is still a lot of experience that can be transferred to using a forum and other portions of it such as the registry.

I hope that my suggestions will help improve your forum experience in dealing with everything 65gs.com related. I cannot say that changes will happen quickly or that all of my suggestions will happen. The forum section itself works very well but other portions, such as the registry, will have suggestions made.

I look forward to chatting with the people of this forum and as my own restoration proceeds I hope to find a wealth of information opened to me.

Please feel free to let me know of anything you find hard to work with (commonly called pain-points in the program design world) with the website. :icon_biggrin:
Epic Moustache

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:05:23 AM »
Hi Chris,

It was nice to meet you and you wife this past weekend at the Buick Extravaganza in Minneapolis. Loren did not tell me that he had such a talented son who could help us with the changes needed to make the Registry more user friendly. You showed us how to use some of the features that we did not know exactly how to access and use. Looking forward to moving forward with this project. Glad to have you aboard.

John

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
Welcome Chris,
 I know that you will become a great asset to making our neighborhood a bit more user friendly.

And you'll have to wait to own one of the '65 A bodies.LOL

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
Welcome Chris. It was nice to meet you this past weekend. Glad to have you on the forum.
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
Welcome Chris! :cheers2: With the jargon you mentioned, I'm feeling that much older now. :icon_biggrin:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
Chris

Sorry I didn't have a chance to see you this weekend.

Welcome to the group and thanks for stepping up to the challenge.

You never know where new education can bring you.

Milton 
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline 70GSDude

• Buick Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I am spending some time tonight simply clicking on everything in sight on the site and reading everything I come across.

Already up to 2 pages of text on stuff I noticed and I've just hit the Gallery section of the site. Still need to take pictures and put notes on pictures for clarifications on some of the bullets. This first round of clicking is being done in Chrome. Second will be IE9 and finally Firefox to see if anything seems different using different browsers.

If someone could send me a PM to see how that reacts I would much appreciate it as I won't have to make a secondary account to play with those types of features.

:rocker:
Epic Moustache

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »
Welcome Chris, great to have you aboard!
Looking forward to seeing some updates on the site. As it grows, the need for improvements increases.
You mentioned the gallery... it could use some fine tuning to better organize it. There's ton's of great info there, but it takes some searching to find. Perhaps some sub-categories or a search function.

My other suggestion would be to make the online service manual and parts books easier to use.

BTW, you sure look a lot like Freddie Mercury!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline 70GSDude

• Buick Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »
Welcome Chris, great to have you aboard!
Looking forward to seeing some updates on the site. As it grows, the need for improvements increases.
You mentioned the gallery... it could use some fine tuning to better organize it. There's ton's of great info there, but it takes some searching to find. Perhaps some sub-categories or a search function.

My other suggestion would be to make the online service manual and parts books easier to use.

BTW, you sure look a lot like Freddie Mercury!

Thank you for the welcome! I have made a few initial suggestions for the galllery but i would love to see pictures related to their posters. I will definitely look into gallery functionality as the site progresses though.

LOL that is Freddy, he was in the stock avatars.

What sort of subcategories were you thinking of? It could use a search function but it needs further refinement.before search functions are added IMO.
Epic Moustache

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
I use Firefox and there is one big issue with it.  When transitioning between different sections of the website, it will log me out.  I specifically noticed it when trying to post pictures into the gallery.  I would be logged in, then when I would go to where I should have been able to post a picture, I would be logged out and would have to go back to the login screen. I would do that, then go back into the gallery and I would be logged out again.  Had to get out and use IE and then everything worked fine. 
  Also, I always come to the forum page first (that is where I have my shortcut set to take me) and it shows me as logged out, but in actuality I am logged in and can function normally.  It shows the login and password boxes blank and does not show my avatar.  If I simply click the login button, it tells me "thanks for logging in" and then shows my avatar even though I didn't type in a login or password. 
   Everything else works fine with Firefox.  Just need to work on the login script for Firefox.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »
Brian, I also use Firefox, yet have no issues by using my shortcut via favorites. It shows me as properly logged into the forum main page every time I visit.  :dontknow:

I have not tried posting to the gallery in quite some time though.
Tom B

Offline 70GSDude

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
Thank you for the Firefox input. I will be giving it a look-through to see if that behavior happens for me as well. The biggest question would be what version of Firefox you are using. This can be checked by going to the Firefox button in the upper left and hovering over help until it expands and then choosing "About Firefox".

I have the 20.0 version, latest version available, and it is showing this behavior.
Epic Moustache

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Thank you for the Firefox input. I will be giving it a look-through to see if that behavior happens for me as well. The biggest question would be what version of Firefox you are using. This can be checked by going to the Firefox button in the upper left and hovering over help until it expands and then choosing "About Firefox".

I have the 20.0 version, latest version available, and it is showing this behavior.

I also have this version.
Tom B

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »
Chris

Would it be valuable to have an IT Board in the Forum to keep it all together including updates?

Perhaps this would be in the future once you get a feel for how this is put together.

MDKD

Milton Dale
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »
Brian,

There is a database bridge between SMF (the Forum) and Coppermine (the gallery) so the user database is shared amongst both applications.  Have a look at your cookie settings in your browser and see if you have them set to purge on page closing or something similar to that.  Both applications rely on cookies to remember you so it's important that they are enabled.

Chris, I think you'll find a lot of stuff here and I'm still amazed to look at the root directory and see how much the site has grown over the last seven years.  You'll probably stumble across some things that I started but never got around to finishing and it's good to see some new energy committed to taking the site to the next phase.  It's funny to think of how much of the site was actually developed over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a number of business flights and I can recall when most pieces were developed.  Getting lost in the code was always a good way to make the time go faster and I don't sleep a lot.   :confused3:

Have fun with it (it's what it's all about) and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Chris (the other one)   :thumbsup:
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2