Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:45 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for coming over to the house, it was good to see you again, and it's great to have you on board here.
In addition to some of the updates discussed, I'd like to see some parts of this forum mimic how 442BRO.com is configured.

http://www.442bro.com/

I'd like to see sections where there are images of data plates, VIN tags, option codes listed, etc. like it is done there.
I just spent another couple hours trolling through it the other night. The "Acc. Codes" section is especially informative.

There is no forum, but he has a registry, although not visible to page visitors evidently.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline 70GSDude

• Buick Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
Brian,

There is a database bridge between SMF (the Forum) and Coppermine (the gallery) so the user database is shared amongst both applications.  Have a look at your cookie settings in your browser and see if you have them set to purge on page closing or something similar to that.  Both applications rely on cookies to remember you so it's important that they are enabled.

Chris, I think you'll find a lot of stuff here and I'm still amazed to look at the root directory and see how much the site has grown over the last seven years.  You'll probably stumble across some things that I started but never got around to finishing and it's good to see some new energy committed to taking the site to the next phase.  It's funny to think of how much of the site was actually developed over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a number of business flights and I can recall when most pieces were developed.  Getting lost in the code was always a good way to make the time go faster and I don't sleep a lot.   :confused3:

Have fun with it (it's what it's all about) and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Chris (the other one)   :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information on the cookies and thanks for the welcome. I did see a few get created for the website, figuring they are for login information. I will double-check on the settings on my side but from what I recall helping the UI side it seemed like the big 3 browsers all handled cookie information slightly differently, will possibly have to research that one.

I may eventually get into playing with the internals of the site, using a safe testing environment that won't affect the main site, but for now I am staying away as I don't have any website coding experience, C#.net and Visual Basic.net coding are the only experience I have from building third-party add-ons for a design application called Revit. I am sure picking up a new language is relatively simple as the fundamentals tend to be the same but the syntax is different.
Epic Moustache

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
Brian,

There is a database bridge between SMF (the Forum) and Coppermine (the gallery) so the user database is shared amongst both applications.  Have a look at your cookie settings in your browser and see if you have them set to purge on page closing or something similar to that.  Both applications rely on cookies to remember you so it's important that they are enabled.

Chris, I think you'll find a lot of stuff here and I'm still amazed to look at the root directory and see how much the site has grown over the last seven years.  You'll probably stumble across some things that I started but never got around to finishing and it's good to see some new energy committed to taking the site to the next phase.  It's funny to think of how much of the site was actually developed over the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a number of business flights and I can recall when most pieces were developed.  Getting lost in the code was always a good way to make the time go faster and I don't sleep a lot.   :confused3:

Have fun with it (it's what it's all about) and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Chris (the other one)   :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information on the cookies and thanks for the welcome. I did see a few get created for the website, figuring they are for login information. I will double-check on the settings on my side but from what I recall helping the UI side it seemed like the big 3 browsers all handled cookie information slightly differently, will possibly have to research that one.

I may eventually get into playing with the internals of the site, using a safe testing environment that won't affect the main site, but for now I am staying away as I don't have any website coding experience, C#.net and Visual Basic.net coding are the only experience I have from building third-party add-ons for a design application called Revit. I am sure picking up a new language is relatively simple as the fundamentals tend to be the same but the syntax is different.
:dontknow:
I think I didn't understand a thing there

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera