Author Topic: New guy from ohio  (Read 2254 times)

Offline banksyboy

• Buick Fan
New guy from ohio
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
my name is brett. i am 22 years old. i have a 65 skylark gs that im in the process of restoring. my dad bought the car back in 1994. we enjoyed the car till 2007. we had a flood and the car sat in 9 ft of water for a day and a half. we started to restore the car and my dad passed away in the middle of it. now im finishing the car. i hope to find alot of good information and stuff on here and meet some new people.

here is a pic of the car as it sits

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: New guy from ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »
Hi Brett,

Welcome to the 65 forum. Do you have any before pictures of the car? Sorry to hear about your dad and the car. The car can be brought back, we are here to help.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline banksyboy

• Buick Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
thanks. i have a few of the car before but i dont have a scanner to scan them onto here. ill see what i can do though

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »
Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about your dad. Good luck with the restoration, you will find lots of useful information on this site.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
Welcome Banksyboy,

Restoring your GS will be a tribute to your father. We are here to help you achieve that goal. Having been underwater for a couple of days can really do a lot of damage to a vehicle. All the wiring and electrical components will need to be checked out, cleaned up or replaced with new. I think that the biggest challenge you will have is restoring the interior door panels. Unfortunately, reproductions of the post car are not available. Hopefully, you can salvage the vinyl fabric and replace the cardboard backing with new. However, correct vinyl seat fabric and foam seat cushions are available.

Looks like you have a very solid car to work with. Post cars are rare. I noticed that you have the original ralley wheels with the gray center inserts (1965 only). Cool!  Keep us posted with your progress. You will find that many of us on this forum have been there, done that. We can help you with parts sources, etc.  Thanks for saving another American made musclecar. Good luck.

John Egel

Offline banksyboy

• Buick Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
thanks guys! i am really looking forward to finishing this car. as far as wiring i got a new 12 circiut kit from painless. just have to wire in all the  plugs. the interior came out fairly well. as soon as the car was pulled from the garage we imedialty got the interior and cleaned and dryed everything. so the backing on the panels and stuff is still stiff and in tact. i dont plan on putting everything back to stock. i plan on adding air ride suspension. im using the direct bolt in kit so there will be no cutting of anything. and im not gonna use the original color either. my dad wanted to make it custom so im gonna do what he would have wanted just a little more of my liking. i already have a 2003 gmc sonoma that i built with air ride suspension and alot of custom work so i already know what im doing in that part.

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »
Glad you got the interior out before it became waterlogged. What custom color is in your plans? Would like to know more about the airbag system for the '65 GS. Is it difficult to install? How about the ride? We always want to know about modern upgrades. Keep us posted on your progress.

John Egel

Offline banksyboy

• Buick Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »
i would like to paint the car either cobalt blue or some kind of dark blue. the kit i want to get is from air rife technologies. its called a cool ride kit, basically the air bags bolt in where the coil springs are in the rear. then it has shocks that are made to work with the ride. same with the front except it has relocaters for the shocks. the ride is very smooth and comfortable. the setup that i did on my truck rides very good. only difference of my truck is that i had to notch my frame for the rear end to come up higher. there wont be much progress at first except for body work. once winter comes i am pulling the frame and painting and installing the air ride. and running new brake lines and all new bushings and what not.    i know its not related but here are a couple pictures of the truck i built.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »
Cool truck! :thumbsup:
Looks like you have the talent to do an awesome job on the GS. Keep the pics of your progress coming.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »
Nice job with the pickup, got it down on the ground. Sweet wheel and tire combo. Thanks for sharing photos and info on air bag suspension. Regarding paint for the GS. In 1965, Buick had a Midnight Blue paint that you might like. Could even add a bit of metal flake to bump it up a notch. Keep us updated on your restoration progress.

John

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
Where in Ohio are you from?

I'm from Lima which is in the North West part of the state.

Are you planning on going to the BPG event in Columbus?

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline banksyboy

• Buick Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
thanks guys! right now im working in getting my garage ready and what not. i plan on getting the car out an snapping some more pics before i do some work..  and i might come to the buick bpg. when is it?

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline banksyboy

• Buick Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
i may come to the buick event not to sure yet. i put some of the car back together because i may have to sell it. some things came up and i may need some money. would hate to see it go. im hopin it works out for me not to have to though. anyways here are some more pics of the car.