Author Topic: Stroking a Nailhead  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Stroking a Nailhead
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:15:15 PM »
Anyone ever heard of combining Chevy 454 parts with a 401 and stroking the hell out of it?

I have a "play engine" sitting here for my four speed project and before I set it in the frame I'm thinking of all my options.

If I remember right, this combination requires some machine work etc..

Does anyone have the specs and what is needed?   Cost?

Thanks,

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Stroking a Nailhead
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:02:22 AM »
Chris,

I don't have any specs at hand, but it would seem to me that a custom crank would be cheaper than machining a BBC crank to fit a nailhead. There are multiple issues associated with a big stroker, and don't know what the particulars are with a nailhead, but a few might be:
rod and rod bolt clearance to the block
rod and rod bolt clearance to the cam
rod length
piston pin placement
piston speed

Even if the journal dimensions were a fit, you'd still have to deal with the thrust bearing, crank bolt pattern, damper, etc. etc.

I've been researching this a little bit because I have a really nice 400 SBC block that I want to build for my 70 Caprice, and would like to build a stroker, but a stroke longer than 3.75 in that engine and you start having problems to solve if you use stock parts, like the block.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »
Thanks Mark,

Sounds like it'll take more money and time that I'll have for a while. 

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
Why stroke???? A fully ported set of heads cannot even supply enough air for a 401/425 & just about supply the needs of a 322 never the less 450 or so cubes. IMHO it's just a waste of time & $$$$$$. Most don't even know how an engine works. It's all about PASSING AIR!!!!!! Density=Air/Air=RPM'S/RPM'S=HP. Now with "My Rockers" on the scene those of us looking at the performance side of things no longer have to worry about the 5800RPM max for power output. We have made power up to & past 7000Rpm's. We didn't go higher because the bottom end wasn't there. Who knows???? But at least 5800 isn't the high end anymore.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
Tom,

Makes sense... the limit is getting the air into the engine (ie. heads).

So if you was going to build a Nailhead for the street / strip (which I'm sure you've built many) for under $5k (stock 65 GS engine provided) what tricks and treats would you suggest?

I'm fishing here since I'll eventually have 5 of these motors to do.  I'd like to have something mild and dependable enough to make shows as far away as Colorado (from Ohio) as well as be able to turn a respectable time at the strip.

Thanks,

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:07:19 AM »
A couple of threads at V8buick.com come to mind immediately Chris. 1st. of course is Tom's Roller Rockers. 2nd. is Erik's post on 2x4 intake flow & performance data. You could post the links here or use them as a sticky here. I've been toying with the idea of a book starting with the block. As much as I hate to type it would be a long & boring process. I'd rather get my hands dirty. Probably won't happen. There's sooooo much info online already, just need to do some searchin'.

Tom T.
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »

A somewhat performance built "Nail" will be in the area of 7K, give or take. I WON'T use rebuilder or "Foriegn" bearings. I won't use cheapo rings. I WON'T use junk gaskets. I won't use any junk in my opinion. Read the thread on the oil pump. Two of us spent 4 hours sizing the cam bearings. Times 2=8 hours. You either have to be willing to do some of this work, within your means, & locating parts that are USA "Quality" as some of the research. When you need to pay someone for their time the $$$$$ add up quickly.
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045