Author Topic: New '65 GS owner!!  (Read 1216 times)

Offline gscalifornia

• Buick Fan
New '65 GS owner!!
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
My brother just purchased this '65, which is a major step as he has been a "Chevy" guy!

He was looking for a mid 60s Chevelle and we found this instead. I convinced him that this Buick would be a good project for him and he brought it home.

We haven't dug into the numbers but were told it is all original. We did get the original single four intake and carb, and were told the dual fours were added when the car was new.

We'll need some help in where to look for numbers/codes and what we should find.

Here's a few pics, this is the way we got it. We already had it running and it sounded pretty good!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:30:18 PM by gscalifornia »

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New '65 GS owner!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
Nice find with the stick shift, I assume it is a four speed? Three speed are even harder to find that four speeds and a 401 doesn't need but three. If that shift boot is original, take good care of it, they are hard to find. Signs it is a real GS: boxed frame, original battery tray on driver's side, Gran Sport on glovebox door, 7/8" front sway bar, never had chrome down the side of the car, did not have halo trim on roof, did have chrome around base of roof like a vinyl top car, rear axle bearings are larger, fender ports are cut through the fender, engine code is L something (I don't remember the GS code, but the L stands for 1965), I believe the four barrel carb was numbered 3922 for a four speed, should have a T-10 cast iron case four speed, and that is all that I can think of now. Of course the exhaust manifolds are specific to the 401 GS as are the motor mounts, but I assume yours are correct because the engine is in the car! That fan shroud (eye brow) on top of your radiator hold down plate is specific to the non A/C GS cars.

Now of course the two fours drastically detract from the value of the car, but I would be glad to help you out there by swapping a stock four barrel straight across!  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
Great to have you join us.
Neat car. 4 speed cars are tough to find.
Engine code should be LR for the GS, but some came thru with a LT stamping. Same engine, just different stamping.
I don't understand the blue engine paint...... Is there any green under that?
I've seen a bunch of pics online where they look blue..... they should be green. Anybody else know why there are so many blue 401's out there? Don't know if the green fades, or if people just repaint them blue??

Looks like a great project, keep us updated! :thumbsup:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:57:03 AM »
Mine was Ford blue when I bought it, guess they didn't care about having the correct color. At least it isn't Chevy engine orange! My guess is that you have to go out of your way to get the correct green paint and most don't care that much.  :dontknow:
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline glenn4spgs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »
About a year or so ago I had a POR brochure and they had the correct buick engine green in it . looked close to the right color! Nice project now if i could get my brothers to jump the fence from there bowties! enjoy!! Glenn
65 red with white int.4speed