Author Topic: New member - and oneday hopeful GS owner  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
New member - and oneday hopeful GS owner
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
Hello,

New member currently living in Okinawa, Japan with the US Navy.  Never have owned a GS before but have recently I've become enamored with them while looking forward to my next duty station back stateside and yearning for a small taste of my nearly lost youth. 

We will be moving back to the US in December to Indiana and my loving wife of 19 years has given me the green light for a classic car.  I really like the look of the GS and the high build quality of the Buicks in general.

At this point I just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I've been voraciously reading your blog for about a month now getting educated.  Great site and I love the way you all help each other out.  I cant't get myself too excited right now about any specific car but as we get closer to transfer I'll be looking very hard at 1965 GSs that are in immediate driving condition within a day drive of Indiana.  Also have relatives in Dallas and Baltimore so for the right price I'd be willing to tie in a vacaton early 2012 for a purchase. 

Jimmy Stewart   

Offline glenn4spgs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New member - and oneday hopeful GS owner
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
Welcome JIM my son just returned from Iraq and I understand your yearning for something american to dream about while over sea's there are usually 65 gransport's on ebay that appear to be in good condition and they have stayed in a somewhat reasonable price zone because they are buick's .we all like to think that the other brands following are a little misled!!Thank's for your service and we pray for the people of Japan.       Glenn
65 red with white int.4speed

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Welcome Aboard, Jim!
As you have noted, there are a great group of folks here. I'm sure you will be able to get help searching out a car when you make it back stateside.
Thank you for your service to our country and I hope this year goes quickly for you.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
Jim,

I'm from the Northwest part of Ohio so depending on where you'll be in Indy, if you are close enough and want to spend an afternoon in a 65 experiencing it first hand, let me know and we'll set something up.  As Loren said, there are many good deals out there right now and the guys here will help you select the right car if you want the help.

My son and daughter in law are both in the Air Force and have done a tour in the Middle East.  Thank you for your Service and welcome to the club.   :icon_salut:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 05:11:17 AM »
Thanks all so much,

Japan seems to be pulling itself together pretty well.  Amazing people, I can't imagine what it would have been like for the US if we had a 9.0 earthquake 200 miles north of LA. 

Thanks for all of your support for our Armed Forces in general but I spend my time praying for the folks seriously down range, I've done my time there myself and am currently enjoying Okinawa on a three year tour with the Family.  We're a great little base here in Okinawa and basically just support the folks transitting through.

Chris - Thanks so much for the offer, we'll actually be in Crane Indiana but we have relatives on the Ohio side near Dayton.  It's a long way from where you are, but the Family and I love to get around so I'd love to see your GS before I make the plunge.

Never owned a Buick before but have always been curious, I think I'm starting to see the same thing you all see in them.  Reasonably priced beautiful lines at the point where classic and muscle meet. 

Jimmy

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »
All,

Just got back to the states in December and took the time to browse two decent Gran Sports as we settled in.  After some great e-mails and a long discussion with Chris on Christmas eve day (thanks Chris) I decided to get the Green one listed at:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/54919.html

I purchased it today and it's sitting in my driveway right now awaiting winter storage tomorrow.  I'll get some photos posted soon and register it on this site.  If ther's anyone near South-central Indiana I'll be enjoying it in the spring and look forward to meeting up to learn more about these great cars.

Jim Stewart

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »
Congrats Jim, looks like a very nice car and a good starting point.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
Welcome back Jim!
The 65 you bought is a beauty. That color looks fantastic! Very unique.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
Okay guys,

It's been a while since I reposted but last Sunday we got our GS (we call the Buick "Fiona" from Shrecks wife since she's huge and green) out for a Sunday afternoon drive with my wife and our little girls.  I just had to post some photos of toddlers enjoying their first drive.  Before I get any posts on seatbelts they were fully strapped in their car seats by the time we left the driveway.  Their expressions tell me Fiona can still bring smiles after 47 years.

I especially like the photo of Rebecca checking the spring in the seats and her expression when I cranked over the engine for the first time.

Jimmy Stewart

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
What an awesome story.  I always think about how many times these cars have been "new" and have brought enjoyment and excitement to so many families.  I love how you guys have already named her and how she's already becoming a part of the family (almost like a new puppy). 

Your daughters will certainly always remember these moments and it will become part of who they are as they become adults.  One of the reasons my wife is so supportive of my car hobby is that she grew up with a dad who also collected and enjoyed cars and everyone in her family knew how much enjoyment the hobby brought their hard working and giving father.  When we take our car out, I'm sure 90% of the smile on her face is about making me happy, but I think the remaining 10% is remembering her daddy and the times they spent in his old cars.  :)

Your daughters are adorable... enjoy every minute with them before they mutate into teenagers.  Mine turns 17 this year and she keeps us busy with plenty of attitude and drama.   :alien:

Thanks for sharing Jim

Chris 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:29:27 AM by Chris At 65GS »

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
I remember the day we brought "Bianca" home about 7 years ago.  My oldest was 9, and he was so excited to go for a ride, he couldn't stand still!  As we drove away from the house of the family we bought the car from, I said, "So, should I do a burnout?"  He responded with no hesitation, "No, Dad, they'd pee themselves if you did!!"  He's 16 now, just got his license, and is itching to drive the car.  Need to make a call to Hagerty so he can!  Plus, now he's got his eye on a nice 65 Chevelle that his grandfather has covered in his construction yard.  Get them hooked early, and they'll never look back!
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
The first time I let my daughter drive home was in "Roxanne" (our white convertible).  I let her drive the last two miles one night on a country road and I'm sure this will stay with her forever. 

She told me one time that she's an "old car" kind of girl and expressed interest in buying a project of her own.

Chris
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:28:38 AM by Chris At 65GS »

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 09:00:59 PM »
I finally got around to filling out the registry and just posted it.  So sorry it took me so long.

I listed her as Verde Green (her color today) but her original color was Y - Banana Creme

Engine is likely a replacement since it is coded LT 5H271127 vice her vin tag # 5Z129317

Under the Aluminum Finned Valve Covers it has a large block letter code of 1196914
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:24:02 PM by Jimmy Stewart »

Offline Jimmy Stewart

• Buick Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
I forgot to post the picture of the code under the valve covers - doh!