Author Topic: Lasts years summer project  (Read 1538 times)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Lasts years summer project
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
Hi all,

I enjoy your site and it was very helpful during my last years summer project, finally saw the how to post

I had picked up a 65 skylark post car from CA about 5 years ago off ebay and had been delaying getting it going, had the thought of a 430 with a stick

Last year, I started doing some inventory of my collection of parts, years ago I picked up a 65 GS that was a basket case, I really only got it for the posi & bucket seats, come to find out I had a factory stick car and all the linkage, a few weeks later I found a Nailhead bellhousing on Ebay so I got that

About a year prior I looked at another 65 GS that had the misfortune of having a tree land on it, so for the price of the Bellhousing I got a very rough parts car witha rebuilt 64 401

I work out of state, not by choice (ecomony in MI sucks) so I to maintain my tax status I take a month off every summer, so 6 weeks of long nights, alot of sweat and money I got my car put together

here  is a few of the before
enjoy
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Lasts years summer project
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
more pictures...after

check out the splines on one of my axles can we say torque class
Jim

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
That's going to be a nice cruiser! Is it drivable yet?
Any idea how made those headers? There's a guy looking for some original Hookers. We think they are the same tube layout as the newer repos. Hooker and Kustom used a 3 inch collector. Repos now have a 2.5 inch.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »

I got it running last year had a incident with a incorrect u-joint which took out the transmission (cracked the case) & bent the drive shaft , after that I got another one of each and changed it on my last week home, and took it to a show still have a lot of work to go this was more or less a body fit and something to play for a little while needs some window channel work and some body work

It is a very fun car, just got a dual quad set-up off Brian, so that is this summers project should take a little less time for that

not sure on the headers I really never measured them and was thinking of posting them, maybe this summer I will do so

Jim

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »
Hi All,

Got the car back on the road this year and added the Dual Quads from Brian working after a little fire

(Word of caution when changing carburetors always run it without spark until you are sure of any leaks)

I had a bad float and needless to say almost saw the car go up in smoke lucky it was only the coil wires that got toasted

Been to a few local shows get some strange looks as it is still spray bombed flat black, don?t mean to go off on a tangent, but is it funny some people who do not realize a bright shinny show car does not occur over night and really do not realize the amount of work that does go in to getting a old car back on the road, maybe I am a little bad for bringing a flat black paint pealing car to a show, but I am proud of the progress I have made, still a long way to go, but I am sure with the knowledge base from this site I should get there

Took it to the Back to the Bricks show in Flint MI if you get a chance go it is a fun time lots of cars also cruised Woodward the Thursday before the Dream Cruise took a hour to go 5 miles lots of cars

Here is my minute and a half of fame so to speak check out the 9 to 10 mark in the video and you can see my interview

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9091829

Will need to take some photos, but really the only change this year have been a Standard steering wheel and the dual quads

Thanks
Jim
Jim