Author Topic: Remembering the over 130,000 unknowns in the Douaumont Ossuary on Armistice day  (Read 450 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who need to be thoughtful about things,

Tomorrow is November 11th.  It goes by different names in different countries.  In the United States, it is Veterans day.  In Canada, it is Remembrance day.  For a good part of Europe, it is Memorial day.  However, the reason behind the commemoration is perhaps best reminded by the phrase: "The 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month."   105 years ago, nations finally managed to agree that the bleeding had to stop and an Armistice was declared - ending the First World War.

Perhaps for reasons that are all too obvious, I find myself thinking back to that war and the lessons that apparently have not been learned from it.  In particular, I am drawn to Verdun and the horrors of that battle.  My Dad visited Verdun as a young man and spoke passionately about what he saw.  One thing he mentioned was the "Champ des bayonets." The literal English translation is "field of bayonets."  You can read story behind this memorial here:

https://www.travelfranceonline.com/bayonet-trench-in-douaumont-verdun-wwi/

In short, the site was discovered in 1919 as a location where a trench once existed and all that was left was rifles sticking out of the ground many with their bayonets intact.  While there is some controversy, it was assumed that the trench was a target of intense artillery bombardment and the men in the trench were killed at their post, their weapons at the ready.

I had a summer internship in France in 1990 and asked my uncle to take me to Verdun to see the memorials there.  My uncle took me to the "Champ des bayonets."  We visited Fort Douaumont which plays a central role in the battles for Verdun throughout the war.  He then took me to place I didn't know about - the Douaumont Ossuary  As we walked toward it, I could see from the parking lot what was clearly human bones visible from portals in the basement of the structure.  I was stuned and flabbergasted at what I saw.  Only later did I come to understand what this memorial was and why it had to be built.

Today, members of the armed services are required to wear dog-tags.  The reason comes from Verdun.  The fighting there was so savage and prolonged than there was no way to retrieve the dead from either side.  It wasn't until after the war that most of the human remains could be retrieved.  By then almost 1/2 of the fatalities could not be identified.  The estimates is that over 130,000 men died and their bodies were never identified.  The Douaumont Ossuary was built as a place to intern those remains and honor the memory of those unknowns.  You can read more about the structure on the website of the facility:

https://www.verdun-douaumont.com/en/

After over 100 years, our collective human memory seems to have lost track of how violent and cruel humans can be.  Once more hate is triumphing over love.  Once more revenge is triumphing over compassion.  Once more nations and national entities are deciding that war can be an answer to their grievances.  In the United States, November 11th is a day to honor the living Veterans of our armed services.  However, perhaps this year we need to take a moment to remember that other reason why November 11th is so important.  I think everyone on earth should spend a moment visiting the Douaumont Ossuary in our hearts.  Perhaps it is the only hope we have to restore peace once more.

Edouard   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 09:54:06 PM by elagache »

Online Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
Excellent post Edouard... Never knew about the field of bayonets or Douaumont Ossuary. Thank you for taking the time to educate those of us who were not aware. Very interesting.
Jim
Chicago

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
That is interesting. Thank you for your service goes out to all veterans.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Amen. Thanks to all that have or do protect our country!
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Just read that Edouard,
  Thanks for posting and thanks to the veterans out there. It is strange how we look into the history of ourselves and have to wonder what has been told vs. what was really going on when most that could tell us are gone. My grandpa was one of the last WWII survivors in our area when he passed. He may have not survived if he had not volunteered?.most drafted guys got assigned immediate posts,but he signed on to do mechanical maintenance on jeeps and trucks. I am not even going to say what he thought at the time of his return to his final home. All I will say is that he saw a lot and had excellent retention right up until death. He always had a flag out front and would argue that America is the best place on Earth to live because the Constitution allows people to keep the power necessary to defend themselves against all enemies that would infringe on their unalienable rights. Unfortunately many of the people are too busy,neglectful,or ignorant to understand that that power only works as a united collection of states in America. Every state has an elected governor and every county has an elected sheriff.  If people question who has authority they need only read their state constitution and see what limits are placed upon them by outside interests that seem to collect like  wasps.
       With so much authority and confusion being thrown around in the world today the youth seems to be choosing which bandwagon to jump on and they really should be avoiding all of them. Colleges around the world are having the same repeated issues we have seen throughout history and these people will never be happy with life,liberty,and the pursuit of happiness. There seems to be a growing consensus that even though we are living in the best of times there are still too many that want more control. We may be getting a grip on it with the web of information available now?..if we could believe any of it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:34:16 AM by schlepcar »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Miracles in plain sight. (Re: Douaumont Ossuary on Armistice day)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 01:11:15 PM »
Dear Dan and mid-60s Buick caregivers who need to be thoughtful about such things,

Thanks for sharing your memories of your grandfather and musing about our present world.

However, I fear we are a bit naive about why the United States is such a special place to live.  It is true that the Constitution is an amazing document, but is that set of rules sufficient to make the United States what it is?  I think it is the other way around.  It is a miracle that Constitution was ever written and it is the same miracle that kept the United States together even through horrible trials like the civil war.

I'm afraid most people fail to grasp how freedom is an incredibly dangerous double-edged sword.  It allows us the means to pursue our happiness.  It also allows us freedom to make mistakes we cannot recover from.   We all are at the mercy of making choices that we cannot rationally resolve.  As the divorce rate clearly demonstrates, we cannot resolve difficult issues like who to spend the rest of our lives with by intellect alone.

Obviously, the United States and the world got this far.  Can we be so confident we understand how?  It is true, the world seems to be falling apart all of sudden and neither religious nor scientific resources seem able to stem the tide.  At least for me, it is time to reconsider the miracles that got us here in order to steer myself and what is important to me beyond the crisis we are facing.

Edouard