Author Topic: Dash lights problem  (Read 560 times)

Offline mrbuick65

• Crazy about Buick!
Dash lights problem
« on: May 24, 2023, 08:03:53 PM »
Hello everyone.  Recently my dash lights have been on with the car running and the light switch off. Tried a new stich and no difference.  Tried another ignition switch which is used and still the same. Two bad ignition switches? What can I try next? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, John

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Dash lights problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 09:28:06 PM »
I always start troubleshooting with what was last done to/with the car before the discrepancy appeared. 
Having said that. The lights are getting power from somewhere. You might try removing fuses one at a time and see if the lights go out.  So, so many electrical malfunctions on our old cars originate from poor grounds.
Hope it helps. Lot of experience here, someone should chime in.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 07:01:02 AM »
Do the lites stay on with the switch  unplugged? .Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline mrbuick65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 05:19:01 PM »
Well guys. Removed fuses from top down and when I pulled hhe panel fuse the dash lights went out and stayed out when the fuse was put back. It's a good fuse. So now I put the lights on with the switch. When turned off the dash lights are staying on. Back to square 1.

Offline mrbuick65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 05:24:41 PM »
Problem still exists when plug is removed from light switch.

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 05:47:56 PM »
Hi, power  starts at switch dark green wire goes to fuse block  grey after fuse to dash lites something  touching  by fuses?.Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 09:08:38 PM »
  Hi John, Check the plug, make sure that there was no arcing that may have caused the plug to melt internally creating a short.. There is a Red wire that goes from the plug to the hot side of the ignition switch. If that arced in the plug that would be your power source !     I can't hook up my camera to my new computer yet (need the adapter) but If you want I can take a photo of the wiring diagram and text it to you if you PM me with your phone number.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317