Author Topic: 425 piston  (Read 473 times)

Offline 425BUICK

• Buick Fan
425 piston
« on: March 08, 2023, 04:24:41 PM »
Does anyone have a (or a set of) .030 cast pistons or what would you recommend regarding a source for the same?  I have relatively fresh engine that I ran some cheap gas in and broke a ring land on one piston.  So if I could even find one piston should I do that or should I just bite the bullet and put in a set with the thought that If one piston was damaged what is the condition of the rest of them?  Are the ring lands compromised so that another one might break down the road?
Tom Burgeson
1964 Skylark Convert (GS Wannabe)
As of 5/12/17, the wannabe has morphed into a genuine GS phantom.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 425 piston
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 09:08:26 AM »
Did you post a pic on the FB group recently? (I can't find it now)
All pistons would need to be closely inspected!
It's possible just one cylinder went lean for some reason and got damaged. (vacuum leak, ran too hot, etc)
Ring lands can break off if the ring end gap is too small.... the rings get hot and expand, the ends butt together and the ring binds in the cylinder. When that happens, the topmost ring land becomes the weak link and can break off. Rings will have shiny spots on the ends and cylinder walls will likely be scuffed.
 Or detonation/preignition can can damage the top of the piston. I've seen broken piston domes from detonation too.

You could try eBay, T/A Performance or the Martins at Centerville auto for pistons.
I do have a set of Badger 425 +0.030 pistons I don't plan to use. They were pressed on/off of rods and have a little scoring on the pins and pin bores, but never ran.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 425 piston
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 12:07:36 PM »
I have a set of .030" pistons with rings & pins that I pulled from an engine that had less than 150 miles on them which I believe are in perfect shape.
They were pulled because he wanted higher compression & forged pistons.
How's $30.00 x 8 + shipping sound???
Will NOT sell just one or break-up the set.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com