Author Topic: Buick Sportwagon Rear Courtesy Lamp Switch - how was it mounted?  (Read 566 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Okay, this is most definitely a 1965 Sportwagon question - not a GS question.  Still, perhaps somebody knows the answer.  On eBay is an NOS Buick Sportwagon Rear Courtesy Lamp Switch (9705814)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364098640677

Alas, even Deluxe Special wagons have no light in the cargo area and I was contemplating adding one.  So I'm curious: where was this switch located?  I probably would free-lance my own installation anyway, but I definitely would try to follow the style of the 1965 Sportwagon if practical.

Thanks in advance,

Edouard

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Buick Sportwagon Rear Courtesy Lamp Switch - how was it mounted?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 06:48:02 AM »
Loren is actually looking for the lens for his 65 Sport Wagon rear interior dome light, which I believe that switch is for. It is just above the rear door. Here is what Loren is looking for:

- https://v8buick.com/index.php?threads/65-sport-wagon-parts-needed.383127/

Here is a listing for a 65 Sport Wagon. If you look at picture #10 of 12, you will see where this rear interior dome light is located. Not a great picture, but it should give you an idea of where it is.

- https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1965/buick/sport_wagon/101818602
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:02:34 AM by 65GSConv »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 08:02:29 AM »
Alas, even Deluxe Special wagons have no light in the cargo area and I was contemplating adding one.  So I'm curious: where was this switch located?  I probably would free-lance my own installation anyway, but I definitely would try to follow the style of the 1965 Sportwagon if practical.

Thanks in advance,

Edouard

The switch is in the body of the lamp.
Picture of lamp with the switch circled in red. I have an extra lamp but both need the lens.

Loren
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:26:33 AM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks - where is light mounted in cargo area? (Re: Sportwagon Rear Lamp)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 12:28:38 PM »
Dear 65GSConv, Loren, and mid-60s "long-roof" fans,

Okay thanks for the explanation!  My trusty wagon is really more of a restomod anyway, so I would prefer to come up with something that doesn't require rare parts.  Obviously, Loren continues to search high and low for the lens that goes into those housings!

So where was the courtesy lamp mounted in the cargo area?  Was it close to the tailgate so that it was easy to reach in and turn the light on?  I haven't really put much thought into this, but I was thinking about installing a second cabin dome light in the cargo area.  Since they are reproduced, getting those parts would be easy.  Since my wagon is a restomod, I was pondering a modern twist.  You can get motion sensor switches for 12 Volt systems.  I was wondering if I could discreetly mount a motion sensor in the headliner just above the tailgate so that the cargo area light would come on automatically when you loaded the wagon.  It is an elegant idea, but can easily become an annoyance in practice.  So I would have to somehow mock this system up and see if it is practical beforehand.

Perhaps a project this year's dry season!

Thanks again!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline 65GSConv

• Crazy about Buick!
So where was the courtesy lamp mounted in the cargo area?
Edouard, please read the bottom half of my post (the 2nd one in this thread). The link will take you to some pictures. The 10th (of 12 total) picture shows where that interior dome light is located.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 07:34:17 AM »
Here is a picture from my Sport wagon's interior showing the lamp location circled in red.

65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks - more food for thought! (Re: Sportwagon Rear Lamp)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 12:17:04 PM »
Dear 65GSConv, Loren, and mid-60s "long-roof" fans,

Sorry for missing the early reference, These days it is hard not to speed-read to a fault!

Thanks, that is exactly where I expected the light to be in order to make it practical to use.  In my mind's eye I was considering some sort of a switch separate from the lamp itself.  As long as I am going to all this trouble, I thought I would try to improve the lighting over what was practical in 1965.  At the moment, I'm imagining some sort of switch (and perhaps motion sensor) roughly where the Sportwagon light is located and dome light roughly centered over the cargo area.

That's as far as my daydreaming takes me at the moment!

Thanks again!

Cheers, Edouard