Author Topic: A New Project  (Read 349 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
A New Project
« on: November 14, 2022, 09:27:59 AM »
I've just committed to a project that is not mine, but for a good cause and for some fun. Long story short, our pastor's mother is in hospice care with brain cancer and her family is cleaning out her house preparing it for sale. Her dad passed about 3 years ago, and his 1970 Opel GT 1900 was left in the garage. It hasn't been started since 1983 and has suffered through becoming a home for numerous mice and squirrels over that time. On Thursday a couple of my classic car friends and I loaded it in my trailer and brought it to my place. The plan is to get it running and in drivable condition. The paint and body are in pretty good shape. A full-blown restoration is not planned at this point.

Fortunately, there is an Opel GT Forum online that I've joined and it appears to be much like this one.  Lots of experience to share and lots of willingness to share it.  They seem as avid about the Opel GT as we are here about the 65 GS!

A few pictures are attached.  Hoping to put some of my 65 GS restoration experience to work.  Should be fun!!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: A New Project
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 11:32:37 AM »
Looks like a bit of a challenge, but I’m sure you are up to it. Keep us updated.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Best of luck with it! (Re: A New Project)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 11:42:03 AM »
Dear Chuck, Dan, and members of the "classic car rescue foundation."

. . . .
Her dad passed about 3 years ago, and his 1970 Opel GT 1900 was left in the garage.
. . .
The plan is to get it running and in drivable condition.
. . .
A few pictures are attached.  Hoping to put some of my 65 GS restoration experience to work.  Should be fun!!

Best of luck with this new project!  As Dan points out, it does look like a bit of a challenge.  It does seem like there are many more orphaned classic cars than caregivers to rescue them.  I hope the project doesn't get too overwhelming.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 12:12:06 PM »
The good news is there seems to be quite a selection of reproduction parts for these cars.  Maybe more than we're used to for the 65 GS.  I won't be tearing into it until I make a space in the shop.  So, it might stay in the trailer until spring.  We'll see.

And there is a Buick connection....these were sold by Buick dealers in the States!
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 12:22:37 PM »
Cool project!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 07:00:09 PM »
Hey Chuck if the engine ends up being unrepairable I have 5 or 6 old Hemis around here ya might try and shoehorn in there .
The guys on the Opel forum might frown but just an idea .  :laughing7:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 08:13:33 PM »
Cool John.  Something like this???  :headbang:

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »
That's a neat car. The body and paint does look to be in good condition. Too bad the engine was left opened up, bet the damn critters found their way inside. I wouldn't be surprised if there are mice in the oil pan! Surprised to see a tow hitch on it too....
Keep us updated in it's progress!

I have a few old (1988) Saab 900 turbo's in my fleet. I ended up with one as a driver and it grew from there.
I still drive this one often, it's a limited production SPG (Special Performance Group).
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 10:24:30 AM »
That's a good-looking Saab, Walt!  Bet it's fun to drive too.

Yeah, I'm planning to pull the engine, take the cylinder head and oil pan off to see what internal contamination there might be.  And hoping the rings aren't seized to the bores.  I've been urged to see if it turns over, but I think I'll leave well enough alone until I can see what's happening in there after disassembly.  I do have the valve cover and air cleaner parts that are missing in the picture.  I deduce that her dad was in the process of adjusting valve lash when he abruptly stopped working on it.  I also wish the engine had remained buttoned up. 

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:45 AM »
That will be a nice looking and fun ride! Hoping for the best when you open it up.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 08:19:00 PM »
  Congratulation's Chuck, you now have another restoration project. At least it will not take up too much room in the shop ! I remember reading an article of someone removing the stock motor and replacing it with a Buick 225 odd fire V6. So that could be an idea if the stock motor is not repairable.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 10:26:05 PM »
That?s a different project car from the normal stuff. I have seen a couple but not usually in that nice of shape. Probably need to soak those cylinders down and hope for the best. I would be tempted to fill the whole engine with diesel fuel even to the top of the plug holes. After a couple weeks you could see if it spins over by hand and drain it. I have used the cheapie harbor freight cameras through the drain plug to get a closer look. The diesel lubricates and cleans better than anything else I have found. If it cleans up you could just do some fresh oil /filter and check compression. At least you would know what you have without going too deep into it.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 09:07:15 AM »
I like that idea Dan.  Especially since I bought a Factory Service Manual and found that the engine is removed from the bottom, not the top.  I'm not set up well for that.  Maybe good justification to buy a lift?  But I should have done that before now and then I'd have a space to work on the Opel in the shop... :BangHead:

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 10:57:46 AM »
Hey Chuck,
   Did anybody seem to know why it was taken apart? Maybe the service manual is your best hope as to getting it running. I would be curious if it would turn over after a long soak and hopefully you don?t have to fight hard to get it to turn. My grandpa was a WWII vet and we used to fix old Jeep?s when he retired. Most of them were rebuilt without pullling the engine and just doing the rod bearings,rings,and gaskets. These are not 800 hp engines so they are pretty easy to make dependable. It would be good to soak and go back and forth a bit every day keeping cylinders full. If the cylinders are able to clean up who cares if it burns a quart of oil every 2000 miles. It would be a cool car just to drive around.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 11:33:53 AM »
I think the owner took the valve cover off to adjust valve lash, then abruptly stopped work on it.  Might have been at the point that he got sick with his final illness. 

I was concerned about pieces of nut shells left in the engine by critters.  That's why I like the flush with diesel fuel idea.  But I think I will try to turn it over just to see if it will move.

BCA 48497
AACA 91100