Author Topic: Mystery solved! Coolant in Oil Read This!  (Read 107 times)

Offline Robin Cook

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Last call
Mystery solved! Coolant in Oil Read This!
« on: October 06, 2022, 02:07:15 PM »
My reman (20 hrs ago and never run) 401 in my 65 skylark Gran Sport lost some oil pressure after 30 minutes of run time last year, when I checked oil level is was up by 2 quarts! coolant had contaminated the oil. After a second tear and inspection by machine shop they felt a poor machine to the right side of block deck had caused a leakage between the front oil and coolant passage. I replaced main bearings  and reassembled with new gaskets (Thank you Carmen Fascoe) and found coolant was still leaking into the oil. After many many hours of extensive testing and a pile of luck I found that the leak was through the cylinder head Bolt #3!(see torque chart) threaded hole in the block, it’s supposed to be a blind hole and not be exposed to coolant passages!  I’m aware to seal select head bolts. I found the bottom of the threaded portion in r front of  block had opened up into coolant passage. After sealing this headbolt, leak has been eliminated. #3 head bolt passes through oil circuit in the head to feed valve train.
I wanted to share this experience as it was a very costly and damn frustrating experience! Hope it will help if you’ve ever heard of a mysterious leak like this. For your future builds, seal all the threaded head bolts!  :BangHead:
Gotta get it done!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Mystery solved! Coolant in Oil Read This!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 08:28:42 PM »
Certainly, a hard way and frustrating job. Thanks for the report of the final cure.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division