Author Topic: Edelbrock 2146 performer intake for BBB 455 V8 update -- Intake purchased--  (Read 432 times)

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
Hello,
Checking here for a good condition Edelbrock 2146 intake for my project 455 engine swap.
Thanks,
Robert

Intake has been located.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:05:37 AM by Robert V »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Curious about the choice. (Re: Edelbrock 2146 performer intake for BBB 455 V8)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 12:54:18 PM »
Dear Robert and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Checking here for a good condition Edelbrock 2146 intake for my project 455 engine swap.

Sorry I can't help you with your parts search. 

Confessing my ignorance once more, but I didn't even know Edelbrock made two different dual-plane intake manifolds for the Buick big-block.  My wagon has the B-4B manifold (Edelbrock model number 2515.)  Can you explain to us why you chose the 2146 intake for your big-block swap?

A curious mind would like to know!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Edelbrock 2146 performer intake for BBB 455 V8
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 01:36:57 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for responding to my post. Here is some info that I have read regarding the Edelbrock intake(s) and why I have decided to purchase the "Performer 2146" over the B4B.

"There are multiple versions of the older B4B, 

Some had a Holley only carb pad; others had the spread bore carb pad. The shape of the spread bore carb pad varied over the years.

Some came with a notch mounting flanges like the 71 and earlier factory manifolds; others came with straight mounting flanges (to cover the A.I.R. hole) like the 72 and later factory manifolds". 

I am hoping to buy a pre-owned Edelbrock intake to reduce my build cost.

"There were also some issues with the early B4B's not working on later blocks because of the side rails being "notched" inwards. These wouldn't work on later blocks".

I have a 1973 Block from an Electra 225 that I am building.

"All the carb pads on the B4B's sit slightly higher than stock, and are located about 1" forward of the factory stock carb pad".

For my application the Edelbrock Performer would be a better fit, as the seals should line up correctly just like the stock manifold using a stock 1973 air cleaner.

I have read that the Performer seems to perform just as well as B4B.

Regards,
Robert
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 02:06:03 PM by Robert V »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Lots of criteria involved! (Re: Edelbrock 2146 performer intake for BBB 455 V8)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
Dear Robert and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Thanks for responding to my post. Here is some info that I have read regarding the Edelbrock intake(s) and why I have decided to purchase the "Performer 2146" over the B4B.

. . . . .

For my application the Edelbrock Performer would be a better fit, as the seals should line up correctly just like the stock manifold using a stock 1973 air cleaner.

Wow!  Indeed you are trying to line up multiple criteria so that your engine fits.  I never was aware of all these subtle details!

I have read that the Performer seems to perform just as well as B4B.

This I would expect.  So indeed for your application, it is well worth the effort to locate a Performer.  Best of luck in your search!

Cheers, Edouard