Author Topic: I did it again !! Another 65 GS  (Read 893 times)

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
I did it again !! Another 65 GS
« on: June 13, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
  Hi everyone, Somewhere in one of the posts I said that I was happy with the Buicks that I have and did not want to get into another project ! Well I will admit that I was wrong. I purchased another 65 GS.. To make a long story very short the GS is a Long Island car with only two previous owners. The first owner from 1965 to 70 and the second from 1970 to 2020. My friend Joe purchased the GS but never registered it and decided that it was not the car for him, so he then offered it to me. It took me about 3 seconds to say yes ! since it is a hardtop, now I will have all 3 body styles.. It is not a perfect GS but it's all there and at 103 thousand miles it runs really strong. It has some electrical & interior issues along with some normal body rot, but I have dealt with worse. it's code Z paint with a black vinyl roof & black interior. It does have a remote mirror an am radio and a broken antenna. 3rd week in July Flint build code. This week I will remove the back seat and see if the build sheet is there.
   The downside is that I can only keep 3 Buicks, so my 1965 Special that I have owned for 41 years found a good home with a BCA member in southern NJ.

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: I did it again !! Another 65 GS
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 08:33:10 PM »
Tony , there is a solution to not enough room .   :laughing7:
I wasnt looking for another project either but DANG IT  they just keep popping up out of nowhere .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 08:43:50 PM »
Congrats Tony!  Owning all three body styles is cool!  Keep us posted on plans for the car.

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:28:53 AM »
I like it! Silver Bullet! Your in a special group of one of each model owners!!! :headbang:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 06:48:07 AM »
Congratulations!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 11:20:25 AM »
Very nice. Congratulations!
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline Jim

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 12:28:42 PM »
Always nice to get your hands dirty when you don't have to. Have fun.Jim
66 lesabre,68 Electra, 42special streetrod, multiple, chevs, 69 chevelle ss,67 skylark conv, 65 skylark ht,68 el Camino  and more , 65 skylarkgs

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Your collection is now complete! (Re: I did it again !! Another 65 GS)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 01:44:57 PM »
Dear Tony, John, Chuck, Jon, Jim, Kurt, Jim, and mid-60s Buick caregivers with an eye to completeness,

Hi everyone, Somewhere in one of the posts I said that I was happy with the Buicks that I have and did not want to get into another project ! Well I will admit that I was wrong. I purchased another 65 GS..
. . . . .
It took me about 3 seconds to say yes ! since it is a hardtop, now I will have all 3 body styles..

. . . . Of course you had to have it!  Until now your collection wasn't complete!   :laughing7:

The 64 dollar (and extremely dangerous) question is:  so what are going to start collecting next? .  . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 08:08:16 PM »
Nice one! Hope you find the build sheet.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »
    Thanks everyone ! The plan for this GS is to correct all the little things that are wrong, make it mechanically sound and safe for my family to ride in it. Then at a later date (after the GS Post Coupe is completed) deal with the rust and paint issues.
    Earlier this evening I went over to the GS and wrote down a list of all the items in the engine compartment that need to be replaced so I can order the parts and keep them until needed. The First safety item is the removal of the copper tubing that is being used as a fuel line. The second is the brake line routed on the right side of the steering  shaft less than 1/8 from the exhaust manifold (the second owner added the power brake booster) Third is that the heater hoses are run on the right side of the motor dangerously close to the exhaust manifold. The list goes on & on.
   The only interior problem I would like to address ASAP is the drivers seat. Someone put some kind of cover over the original. Both are ripped because the springs seem to be broken. ( see interior photo) I have replaced seat springs before so that would not be the problem. Does anyone have a used seat cover that I could buy ? any color is OK. I do plan to replace the interior eventually, I'm just trying to keep the cost down until I'm ready.

Tony  :icon_thumright:
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: I did it again !! Another 65 GS (UPDATE)
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 10:06:22 PM »
    The "to do list" is much shorter since I have been replacing every hose, Battery cable, Horn relay block, Filters. And the list goes on. Last week I had the front on jack stands and took a look at the brake hoses, they had a tag with the manufacture date of 1975. After seeing that I pulled everything apart and ordered new hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes & hardware kits. I spent the entire day today and installed all new parts, while bleeding the brakes I noticed that the inside of the tires hit the upper control arm when the wheel is at its max turn radius. So now it needs to go to my friends shop to bring in the outer tie rods and give it a wheel alignment before any driving so I don't chew up the front tires. Tomorrow I will jack up the rear and see the condition of the rear lines, brakes and trunk body mounts.

Last week the previous owner dropped off a set of Buick service manuals and the original aqua glove compartment Buick "Car Papers" folder containing Owners Manuals and Owner Protection Plan booklet with Protect-Plate. also the Computer punch card for the GS. This GS was purchased at Schroeder Buick Inc.in Bellrose LI NY. It was a small family run dealership that fit 3 Buicks in the showroom. My Fathers good friend was part of the sales team and I knew the owners. It closed down in the early 1990s
   I pulled out the back seat to see if the build sheet was there, but it was not. Does anyone know if the computer punch card replaced the build sheet ? This is a Flint built GS 3rd week in July.

Tony

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Punch card memories! (Re: I did it again !! Another 65 GS)
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 01:14:03 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick caregivers who occasionally stroll down memory lane.

The "to do list" is much shorter since I have been replacing every hose, Battery cable, Horn relay block, Filters. And the list goes on.
. . . .

Well now, I don't use the phase "Buick caregivers" for nothing!  :laughing7:

Last week the previous owner dropped off a set of Buick service manuals and the original aqua glove compartment Buick "Car Papers" folder containing Owners Manuals and Owner Protection Plan booklet with Protect-Plate. also the Computer punch card for the GS.
. . . .
   I pulled out the back seat to see if the build sheet was there, but it was not. Does anyone know if the computer punch card replaced the build sheet ?

Punched cards?  Golly what memories!  I learned to program FORTRAN on a CDC 6400 computer in 1980 using punched cards.  We were one of the last "victims" of using computers in that way at U.C. Berkeley.  I still have some of the punch cards from that class somewhere in the house.

I don't know what sort of information would be on the build sheet, but the card clearly has much of the information that would be on the cowl plate.  Could it be that indeed the build sheet was replaced by a punched card and that card would be used to program the assembly line for the production of that car?  It would have been a reasonably natural (if avant guard) innovation in 1965.

Thanks for sharing Tony!  Very interesting indeed!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 09:35:17 PM »
   Hi Edouard, I posted the question about the punch card because my other Flint produced GS (post coupe) did not have the build sheet under the rear seat because the frame of the seat was rotted so bad that I had to replace the seat frame and I did not expect any paperwork to survive the rot & mildew.  The convertible GS did have the build sheet (not a punch card) under the seat, and that came out of the Baltimore plant.
   So it's still an open Question, Did the punch card replace the build sheet ? Lets see if any of our members know the answer to this.

I had a little time to work on the hardtop GS this afternoon, one thing that I never tried was the AM radio. The antenna mast is broken off so I clipped a jumper wire on to the nub that was left and clipped the other end on to a spare after market antenna, turned the key to the left and the radio came on loud & clear then I turned on the FM converter tuned it in and that works too! I removed the key & disconnected the battery. Time to quit while I'm ahead. The antenna repair is for another day.....  :wave:
           Tony

Offline Robert V

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 09:57:17 PM »
Tony,
I love the color combo!
3 GS Skylarks, life is good.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 07:23:21 AM »
Tony, Duane over on V8 may have some info for you. He is able to decode 68-72 punch cards.
https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/decoding-service-for-80-column-punch-cards-68-72.378946/

Yours is the first instance I've heard of concerning a punchcard in a 65, even my 66's haven't come with any, although I have no Flint built cars.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal