Author Topic: 65 basket case opinions  (Read 172 times)

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
65 basket case opinions
« on: May 14, 2022, 01:05:15 PM »
Ok so my desire to find a 65 GS post manual transmission car is in overdrive. My former 3 speed car has been offered and I want it in the worst way but with transport costs sky high I cant swing it right now. I did find an original 65 GS 4 speed post car not far from me but its a basket case. Guy wants $2500 for it and it currently has a 67 olds 330/4 and a jetaway transmission. Its got lots of body rust from sitting in the woods for a few decades but he says the frame is very nice. He has the original 4 speed radiator,top plate and finger guard. Block and heads. He sold the flywheel and bell housing dirt cheap already. I bought the original 4 speed from him already. Car still has the manual trans pedals, clutch rod, swingset and adjuster arm. Steering column also. Original rear is gone and a generic highway geared rear in its place. He wants $2500 firm. Is there $2500 value there? What's a running Olds 330 worth?
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 basket case opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 05:42:16 PM »
I know this car isn't a good candidate for saving but is there $2500 worth of value there?
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 08:14:13 PM »
I?m not seeing the value. Is the trim all there? Posi? Door panels? If more stuff is there it might be. Options have value but not seeing any here.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 09:06:27 AM »
 I think I would agree with Jim,
 I am not saying it is not worth anything but I am saying if all the GS only parts are long gone you would have to take a very close look at the frame. A nice frame is a must and could be worth the money when you consider steering parts,fenders,doors,etc?.that may be in good shape. The car looks very usable at a glance but I would definitely want a better look underneath. Are their ventiports,engine mounts,or anything else that is GS specific is the question. I place very little value on the current driveline but I could be wrong if you find out it is an original 442 engine.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 10:05:13 AM »
I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the car , going back to original ? some slight modifications ? etc etc ...  I can tell you one thing for sure if your going back to original some of the clutch parts are getting very hard to find .  Also if you want it to be a 3 speed car some of those parts are almost impossible to find .
As far as the body I think that can be restored easy enough with some time and metal work .
2500.00 seems a little high to me for what's there .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 10:59:54 AM »
The GS specific stuff I can remember off hand. There may be more but I cant recall. I've seen the car in person but didnt pay alot of attention as I wasn't looking to buy it. If I bought this it would be for the parts unless after closer inspection it was reasonably able to be saved.

4 speed radiator
Radiator top plate for GS
Finger guard
Frame & suspension
GS Steering column
Clutch pedal assy
Clutch linkage rod
Swingset (pivot )
Clutch adjustment rod
Engine in pieces.
Doors
Front fenders

Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 08:55:42 PM »
If you are wanting to restore one back to original I would determine that the block matches the car and that it is in rebuildable shape. An original manual trans post car is nearly impossible to find in restorable condition. I think you could likely source the parts to put it back together. Door panels are a major expense on the post models and I believe that would be one of the tougher obstacles. I guess the cost could be overlooked if the frame,rockers,and floor supports were clean. When you consider what a nicely finished post car is worth the price is probably a decent start. Doing most of the work yourself you will probably be adding another zero to the finished product but it will be done to your specifications.

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 09:29:27 PM »
  The red post coupe that I purchased back in 2003 at a cost of $2,000 has a good frame, with only a small hole on the left side that was easily repaired. The body sheet metal was severely rotted, but the SS trim and running 401 motor & 300 trans was all there. Sourcing all the rust free sheet metal parts took years. I preformed all the mechanical upgrades & welding needed. I also purchased another post coupe just for the door and side panels ! All the rest of the interior parts were purchased new from OPGI and other vendors. Without finished bodywork and paint the total cost was aprox.$18,500 when it returns from the body shop the cost will be around $30,500 and this is not the rare manual shift GS.
   The $2,500 they are asking seems a little high for the GS considering that you will have to find so many of the parts to bring it back to stock, If that's what your goal is.
It looks like more of a parts car from the photos you posted.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317