Author Topic: I’m back and moving forward.  (Read 135 times)

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
I’m back and moving forward.
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:37:25 AM »
The last few years have been hard and kept me out of my shop, but I am back at it.

We have remodeled our home and lived on our back deck one summer after my mom passed, then we lost four more parents, one a year until 2020. August of 2020 I had a stroke that seems like it was caused by my visual migraines, or caused by what caused the migraines. The good thing is you can’t tell I suffered a stroke, it just caused a lasting small visual blind spot in both eyes. I can still weld! I also retired last June so now I have time to get out into my shop.

My previous plan was to build a Bucamino, however I am changing directions and going to repair my two door sedan body and drop it on a 65 GS four speed frame. I have, or can get, everything needed to complete a 1965 GS sedan to use as a summer daily driver. If I still have the energy I will also do the Bucamino later.

I am posting this so folks will know why I come and go to this site. Today I have the energy of a sixty year old, but I am 74. I have aches and pains, but I can outwork many 50 year old guys. Oh, I am still somewhat of a perfectionist.

Today I am removing roadbase to create room for a concrete slab on front of my 900 square shop. This will give me a place to weld without fear of splatter burning down the shop. I am ready to rock and roll!
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: I’m back and moving forward.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 12:27:15 PM »
WOW Kurt,

Great to have you back. Life certainly does throw us some curve balls along the way.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »
Unfortunately life tries to knock us down! With Faith, Strength,Knowledge,Advice and Encouragement from my Friends I keep going even when I was ready to total give up! Full speed ahead! Put the accelerator pedal down and hang on for life’s ride! Having fun and It doesn’t have to be grandest sometimes simple is best!For me owning , driving and forming life long friends from what we call the car hobby has been wonderful for me! Couldn’t put any kind on dollar amount on it! Keep working on and enjoying your Buicks we only get one ride on the merry go round of life!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:52:00 PM by gssizzler »

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 01:07:19 PM »
Thanks guys. Yep, I’m putting the petal to the metal! Full speed ahead! Well maybe not full speed, part speed.
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 05:20:57 PM »
Blessings on your journey, Kurt.  Hopefully the near future will be a smoother ride than what the recent past has been.  Enjoy your projects!
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Glad your back! (Re: I’m back and moving forward. )
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 05:26:14 PM »
Dear Kurt, Loren, Jon, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick caregivers who occasionally need some caregiving of their one!

We have remodeled our home and lived on our back deck one summer after my mom passed, then we lost four more parents, one a year until 2020. August of 2020 I had a stroke that seems like it was caused by my visual migraines, or caused by what caused the migraines. The good thing is you can’t tell I suffered a stroke, it just caused a lasting small visual blind spot in both eyes. I can still weld! I also retired last June so now I have time to get out into my shop.

So sorry that you've had this rough patch and health issues.  I'm glad you have managed to bounce back from them!  As I'm learning the hard way, sometimes that isn't so easy.  Glad to hear you are eager to get back your Buicks!   

My previous plan was to build a Bucamino, however I am changing directions and going to repair my two door sedan body and drop it on a 65 GS four speed frame. I have, or can get, everything needed to complete a 1965 GS sedan to use as a summer daily driver. If I still have the energy I will also do the Bucamino later.

I am posting this so folks will know why I come and go to this site. Today I have the energy of a sixty year old, but I am 74. I have aches and pains, but I can outwork many 50 year old guys. Oh, I am still somewhat of a perfectionist.

Sounds like a good plan.  Just don't let that perfectionist streak stand too much in the way of getting your GS actually on the road!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 06:50:48 PM »
Welcome back Kurt ! Great to have forum members like you.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 09:56:59 PM »
Welcome back!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto